Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-06-2012, 01:37 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Oil change cost

I own a Coachmen Mirada 29ds just picked up my unit from the local Ford dealer. When I brought it in for recall work on the transmission shifter I told the service rep to also have the oil changed. This was the first time the oil was changed and it had 3100 miles on the unit. I should have asked the price... 4 hours and 90 dollars later I drove away. The cost was for the oil/filter change only. WOW!!! Is this typical or should i look for a Jiffy Lube type place to have the oil and filter changed or so I just do it myself? I don't mind paying this price if this is normal but for adding one more quart of oil than my truck holds the 60 dollar price difference doesn't seem justified.

Rick
Rikmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-06-2012, 01:43 PM   #2

It costs me $120 to have the oil changed in my f250 diesel pick up at the Ford stealer!
Old 06-06-2012, 01:49 PM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I WISH my changes were only $90
mythplaced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 01:58 PM   #4

It cost me $95.00 to change my oil. That's with a NAPA Gold filter and 6 gals of oil. Have a DP with Cat C7. Did it myself.
dls461 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 02:02 PM   #5

Shop around. While most shops do not have room or lift capacity for an RV, some may be willing to do it on the ground for less $$.
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 02:11 PM   #6

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My local Ford Dealer here charged me 39.95. Lube, oil, filter, 27 point safety inspection.

My engine is the V-10 Triton, 2003. Just the standard oil, not synthetic.
Old 06-06-2012, 02:16 PM   #7

Everything cost more I try to do what I can myself. Mainly so it's done right the first time.
Old 06-06-2012, 02:19 PM   #8
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikmac View Post
I own a Coachmen Mirada 29ds just picked up my unit from the local Ford dealer. When I brought it in for recall work on the transmission shifter I told the service rep to also have the oil changed. This was the first time the oil was changed and it had 3100 miles on the unit. I should have asked the price... 4 hours and 90 dollars later I drove away. The cost was for the oil/filter change only. WOW!!! Is this typical or should i look for a Jiffy Lube type place to have the oil and filter changed or so I just do it myself? I don't mind paying this price if this is normal but for adding one more quart of oil than my truck holds the 60 dollar price difference doesn't seem justified.

Rick

It appears that your coach has a gas motor and most likely holds 6-8 qts of with a filter. I'm with you as this is a little steep but unfortunately not uncommon for dealerships to gouge their customers. Our previous coach had the 8.1L motor that held 7-8 qts depending on whether you used the 1 or 2 qt filter so when the Work Horse dealer charged me $88 about (2) yrs ago to do this maintenance, I asked the service mgr why so much. His reply was, "because we can". That was my last trip there for anything. I'm not a big fan of quick lube joints for rv service as I believe most employed there lack the basic knowledgeable for dealing with rv maintenance and there usually not set up for something that large. I did, however, let one such place change the oil in our previous mh as I watched intently and they passed with flying colors. The cost was about $10 dollars more than our regular vehicles. If you can find a place like that then maybe give them a shot, otherwise, be prepared the pay the piper. Unfortunately/fortunately we now have a dp and the maintenance cost/places that are qualified to work on them are fewer. I guess if you want to run with the big dogs then you got to be willing to step up to the plate.
JC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 02:25 PM   #9

Look for Rotella at Sam's in the 2- 2-1/2 gal jugs for $63. Best price I've seen. I use 10 gallons so it's $126 for oil. big deal.
Perry White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 04:24 PM   #10

Freightliner Owners Club
With a gas MH,I would talk to my local Super Walmart service writer and get a quote for the oil change +filter + lube.
Siggy D.
siggyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 04:35 PM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
Welcome to the RV (Charge me Double) World. MH was $67, and I provided the fluid and filter. '06VUE was $28 and they did it all.

fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 04:40 PM   #12

Another option would be a mobile RV or Auto/Truck service if you have a good area at your home where they could work.
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 04:40 PM   #13

My Ford dealer charges $39.
Old 06-06-2012, 04:44 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks to everyone for the replies. I guess that this is the norm and will probably not be using a Jiffy Lube type place. On of my biggest fears with using these place is the in/out quick service that they do. This is great for a car but a little more scary with a MH. I think I will bring it to the dealer, MH friendly garage or do it myself. I knew this forum had all the answers.

Thanks Again,

Rick
Rikmac is offline   Reply With Quote