Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-03-2020, 09:19 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by marjoa View Post
We change our MH & Toad oil at the same time. Both use 5-20, both get Mobil One, two cases does both vehicles and the last time I bought Mobil One was at Sam's for $35 and change for a case of 6. What a deal!

Being on the road I wait till I find a good place to DIY oil changes anywhere from 3K to 5K miles, but certainly no less than once a year. We just changed the oil in our MH and my wife did it. She's part of the maintenance crew.

Better Keep her Close - with those skills she'd be a "Catch" -
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-03-2020, 10:20 AM   #16

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by marjoa View Post
We change our MH & Toad oil at the same time. Both use 5-20, both get Mobil One, two cases does both vehicles and the last time I bought Mobil One was at Sam's for $35 and change for a case of 6. What a deal!

Being on the road I wait till I find a good place to DIY oil changes anywhere from 3K to 5K miles, but certainly no less than once a year. We just changed the oil in our MH and my wife did it. She's part of the maintenance crew.

I like that shift in responsibility..

How do you define a "good place to DIY oil change" while traveling?
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 10:40 AM   #17

How we change our oil on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandec View Post
How do you define a "good place to DIY oil change" while traveling?
Always done in a CG and I usually wait till we're in a place that doesn't care about stuff like that, or we're off parked in a corner somewhere. Never have had a problem.

And yes my wife is an awesome catch in so many ways.

You can see her in action here:
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 12:30 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busskipper View Post
This might just cause so to rethink when they Change the Oil. -

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/r/...berid=25036710

Like a good Murder Mystery the last chapter/paragraph give the answer. -

Good read, is actually longer than even I normally go now. Back when I drove 100K a year I would go 25 K between oil changes and get a new car every other year. -

Now that I'm a Lot older and driving much Less I've been using 11K as the number - easy to know - 11 - 22 - 33 - 44........easy to know when it's time. -

So what do you think - this is mainly for the Gas Toads - not the DP's.

BAD IDEA would never due it!
Oil changes are CHEAP!
Not worth the risk for me and my vehicles.
RELHUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 08:46 PM   #19

What a change … no pun intended. Talked with owners who never change oil in their DP. Good to read about those who care for their investment. Change is good
AKOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 10:26 PM   #20

I've been running synthetic oil and changing oil every 10k miles on all my vehicles for as long as I can remember. This year will make 50 years since I first got my driver's license, and I haven't had an engine failure yet. Lost a few transmissions though.
Old 04-04-2020, 01:43 AM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I change oil and filter annually in or near my birthday month. Easy to remember when due.

Motorhome, Jeep, wife's car, lawn tractor, old truck, workshop air compressor...
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 04:46 AM   #22

Tiffin Owners Club
Oil and grease is cheaper than metal parts.
Old 04-05-2020, 06:57 AM   #23

The only way to really know if the oil needs to be changed is to test it. Why throw away good oil?

When I was driving my pickup about 20k miles per year (mostly highway), I started using synthetic and having it tested occasionally. I found I could run it 15k miles; the TBN then getting low enough to necessitate a change, but everything else fine. I changed the filter half way through to keep particulate under control.

Contrast that with my race car. I get about 1000 miles between changes due to hard use and fuel dilution (worn rings).
jerome951 is offline   Reply With Quote