Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-14-2017, 09:12 AM   #29

I use synthetic oil and change every 10 thousand miles no matter how long it takes to get that many miles on.
Ubetcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-14-2017, 10:47 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubetcha View Post
I use synthetic oil and change every 10 thousand miles no matter how long it takes to get that many miles on.
sounds kinda like me.I looked at synthetic and its no longer life than hi grade regular oil so I use super blue cummins regular oil and change around 12K
3-4 years depends on mileage per year
select55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 03:07 PM   #31

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by select55 View Post
sounds kinda like me.I looked at synthetic and its no longer life than hi grade regular oil so I use super blue cummins regular oil and change around 12K
So if oil is so cheap why are you risking your engine by not following the manufactuers recommendations? Especially when you arn't sampling the oil so you have a clue what is going on inside your engine.
Bill
WILDEBILL308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 07:58 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDEBILL308 View Post
So if oil is so cheap why are you risking your engine by not following the manufactuers recommendations? Especially when you arn't sampling the oil so you have a clue what is going on inside your engine.
Bill
OP asked
Quote:
Looking for thoughts on the oil change intervals for large diesel engines.
SO I told him what I do. have done this on all my vehicles for the last 40+ years works ;;very well for me
My Mh is always in warm dry weather .I have 5 years and 2000 miles on my mobile one synthetic in my mustang GT.oil looks like new(super clean)
its just what I do and believe in ;;others can do as they please;; matters not to me
Old 01-14-2017, 09:16 PM   #33
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by select55 View Post
you haven't updated your signature. please do so we know what coach you have. maybe your practice makes sense for some kind of engines.
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 10:50 PM   #34

Fleetwood Owners Club
I do an annual oil analysis and follow the recommendations the analysis firm gives. So far 4 years and 19500 miles with a clean bill of health. I will test it again this year.

Why throw out perfectly good oil that meets specs?
Old 01-16-2017, 03:48 AM   #35

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wirelessenab View Post
I do an annual oil analysis and follow the recommendations the analysis firm gives. So far 4 years and 19500 miles with a clean bill of health. I will test it again this year.

Does you engine manual say that this practice is OK
It is a good thing that we all don't do the same things in life like robots...... but a oil change, when looking at the big picture, with ant type of engine, no mater if it is a large diesel engine, or a lawn mower engine, and everything in between with a engine...........a fresh oil change is cheap to do, especially if one does their own maintenance.
I don't drink week old coffee............I prefer a fresh pot
And like mention, there would be nothing wrong with the old coffee.........
Old 01-16-2017, 10:01 AM   #36

Quote:

you sir are exactly correct and what I also aspire to. $170 oil and filter on my unit each year for a lousy 3200 miles is waste of good oil and money in my world. have 2000 miles and 5 years on my mustang GT using syn mobile one and looks like new
Old 01-16-2017, 10:44 AM   #37

Freightliner Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Getting our first annual service done today as a matter of fact. We only do 5-6k a year so it will continue to be a January event. lol
Cranemec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 01:24 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
Does you engine manual say that this practice is OK
It is a good thing that we all don't do the same things in life like robots...... but a oil change, when looking at the big picture, with ant type of engine, no mater if it is a large diesel engine, or a lawn mower engine, and everything in between with a engine...........a fresh oil change is cheap to do, especially if one does their own maintenance.
I don't drink week old coffee............I prefer a fresh pot
And like mention, there would be nothing wrong with the old coffee.........
I will shorten my oil change intervals when my engine developes taste buds. Until then it drinks the old coffee
Monacoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 01:31 PM   #39

Quote:

Of course your correct and I too aspire to the same theory
iam not going to drain $140 worth of blue Valvoline and throw away a fleet guard 35$ oil filter @ 4000 miles just because its a year old. Thats rediculous at best
Old 01-22-2017, 01:47 PM   #40

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
In 2015 we onlk drove the MH about 300 miles after the engine rebuild, there was no way I was going to throw away 14 gallons of oil. In 2016 we (and now I) did about 600 miles of driving. When spring gets here I'll take an oil sample and see what they say.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 03:44 PM   #41

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monacoach View Post
340 cummins isb here...... manufacturer recommends 15000 miles or annual. I drive aprox half or less then half the miles and change oil and all the filters every two years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monacoach View Post
I will shorten my oil change intervals when my engine developes taste buds. Until then it drinks the old coffee
OK, like I have always said on here........what ever one wants to do and if they sleep good is all that matters.
Your engine most likely will never develop "Taste Buds"..........but yours will have a severe bitter taste........if you ever have to pay 20/30k for a rebuild..............the problem with these engine's is that they are not driven many miles, idling a lot, and sitting, unlike semi's and big trucks, oil/filter's are the cheapest part of operating one of these rig's..........to each their own, and I respect your methods and views on this subject
Old 01-22-2017, 03:49 PM   #42

There is not a single documented proof out there where a person had to spend 20-30 K to rebuild a diesel just because they went 3 years on the same oil all the while way under on miles under normal conditions
NOT ONE