Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-01-2020, 03:51 PM   #1

Oil Filled or Ceramic

Most of our camping season is done in mostly warm weather. Occasionally it is cool at night. Our last camping adventure got down in the low to mid 30's. We do have a couple of electric ceramic heaters that are OK under warmer conditions. The one in the bedroom keeps that area warmish even during our last trip. The one in the kitchen/living room area didn't amount to squat. We are considering one of the oil filled radiators but would like opinions on how the oil filled one might be better/worse than the ceramic heater. The ceramic one has 2 heating ranges (750 & 1500). Besides not really heating the space it made a fair amount of noise. Enough that it would awaken me.
Thoughts ??
Bounder 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-01-2020, 03:56 PM   #2

Having used both types.. I say 1500 watts is 1500 watts.... Makes no difference. The oil filled radiator is quieter. Takes longer to put out heat.
We ended up just staying with the little ceramic one in the main area and have a small 350 watt one in the bathroom... Both have thermostats that are adjustable.

Bob
Old 12-01-2020, 03:59 PM   #3

I have used both an oil filled radiator and a small ceramic heater in my MH and home. The radiator is the better of the two IMO. Once warmed up, it gives off heat over its large surface area. Kept an older class C something like warm and does the same for the upper level of my older (and yet to be really insulated with little or no air flow) 1940's home. It will do fine given enough time to warm up. Go with the radiator.
MinntoMich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 04:22 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedhunter9 View Post
Having used both types.. I say 1500 watts is 1500 watts.... Makes no difference. The oil filled radiator is quieter. Takes longer to put out heat.
We ended up just staying with the little ceramic one in the main area and have a small 350 watt one in the bathroom... Both have thermostats that are adjustable.

Bob

We have been using a Vornado space heater for years now. It is VERY quiet and I prefer to use it over the heat pumps or even the propane furnaces. They also have great customer service. Remember, you get what you pay for.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Vornado Space Heater.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	252.9 KB
ID:	309950  
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 04:27 PM   #5

As mentioned 1500 watts is 1500 watts that is about 5100 btu's of heat. Doesn't matter what the source is, resistance heat of any type will produce the same amount of heat. So pick your favorite. I also like the ceramic cubes.
Old 12-01-2020, 04:31 PM   #6

I've used oil filled for the past 13 years , to avoid the noise .
Storing, the radiator, when not in use , due to the size , to me is the only draw back.
In my coach I have two , my original , with 3 heat manual control , and a newer electronic t'stat model , I prefer the manual , as in the event of a power outage , it'll come back on , where the electronic control has to be reset.
Old 12-01-2020, 04:45 PM   #7

I agree 100% with everyone else. 1500W is equal either way except that I really like the oil filled with a small fan blowing over the top and circulating air around the RV on oscillate.

What I do is run the oil filled on low (750W) constant with the fan in the back bedroom. Then I have the ceramic heater up front set on high with the temp set to 60. Between the two it keeps it above 50 no problem even with a couple of cold nights down to teens.
nbluesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 04:53 PM   #8

Why not one of the small Chinese diesel heaters for $150... useful long term cheap solution.
bpu699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 05:03 PM   #9
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
The big difference is that with the ceramic heater the heat is gone instantly when you turn the switch off. The oil-filled heater is going to continue putting out heat for quite a while until the oil cools down.

If it is going to remain cold for a long period then the oil-filled heater will be the most efficient. Once the oil gets hot it doesn't take as much AC power to keep it hot.
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 05:18 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpu699 View Post
Why not one of the small Chinese diesel heaters for $150... useful long term cheap solution.
We are gas, not diesel. Looking for electrical use anyway.
Bounder 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 06:10 PM   #11

We use oil filled units and more than happy .
Old 12-01-2020, 07:19 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
The big difference is that with the ceramic heater the heat is gone instantly when you turn the switch off. The oil-filled heater is going to continue putting out heat for quite a while until the oil cools down.

If it is going to remain cold for a long period then the oil-filled heater will be the most efficient. Once the oil gets hot it doesn't take as much AC power to keep it hot.
I agree. We've been using two old school, dial thermostat, on/off buttons, 1500/750 watt oil radiators for about 15 years. Once they're hot, it's easy to adjust and maintain a constant heat. If power goes out, they turn back on with the resumption of power. Added benefit is there's no moving parts, nothing to wear out and most importantly for us, no noise!
Old 12-01-2020, 10:19 PM   #13

Forest River Owners Club
Last night temps dropped to 29....

My radiator heater and my 1,500 watt ceramic kept my 40’ coach nice and toasty....

I avoid using the furnace because it sucks propane like a race horse!!!

(It’s a pain in the butt to either call for a high-dollar mobile propane delivery OR break camp and go find propane...)

Using my current system, I only use propane to cook and to power my fridge when I’m on the road... I heat with the above mentioned heaters.... A tank of propane can last me months and months....

AND - if I’m using the CG elec all the better....

When Boondocking I rely on my generator and during quite time lots of cover until I can fire up my generator in the AM....

I have a large Mr Buddy heater that I’ve really not used yet.... (a tad concerned about sleeping with something that sucks oxygen from coach). Silly I know.....
ernest917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 10:53 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Small ceramic cube heaters for me as well.

The fan running on low is like a white noise, so not a problem.

1500 watts is 1500 watts, and the ceramic heaters are pretty much instant heat.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
led