Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-07-2011, 05:34 PM   #1

Oil in coolant tank

I spotted a layer of either oil or trans fluid about 1/8" thick floating on top of coolant in coolant res. found no evidence of coolant in engine oil, Im guessing the tubes in the radiator tanks have a leak. looks like engine oil and trans oil pass through radiator tanks on right and left side of core. '92 p30 454. anybody had an issue like this. Am I looking at radiator repair/replace? I would like to add a remote trans cooler, what type have you used and where to mount, what do you think of double electric fans? worth the time and expense
captaindesmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-07-2011, 05:46 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Mine had one infront of rad it looked factory however. I would recommend one if you drive a lot in the hot climates just to keep things a little cooler. Fans only if you drive in a lot of heavy traffic but pay close attention to the amp draw of the fans. You don't want to pull to much draw from the Altenator. Older coaches don't tend to have big amp output altenators mine only had a 50 amp.

As for the fluid it sounds likeyou might be right you'll need to pressure test for sure.
Conquest102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 05:47 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
It may be that or a pin hole in a cylinder from electrolysis. Have seen that happen before.
stuhly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 06:58 PM   #4

Could it be a head gasket? the MH only has 19,000mi but its 20 years old. I have noticed some dripping from exhaust when cold but pretty sure its condensation, engine runs fine maybe ran a little warm climbing a hill last week 210 up to about 225 but cooled back to about 200
Old 11-07-2011, 08:29 PM   #5

How common is it for the trans/engine oil cooling lines in the radiator to suddenly leak
Old 11-07-2011, 08:46 PM   #6

Not very common at all for tthose type of radiators and tranny coolers to leak. More common to have a leaking headgasket. You can get a one way leak through the head gasket if the sealing ring in the gasket around the cylinder has a crack in it. What happens is that the pressure in the coolant is not enough to get pushed into the cylinder so no coolant in the oil but the pressure in the cylinder is large enough to push into the coolant system so it shows up there. Normally when that happens the radiator pressurizes beyond the pressure release of the radiator cap and the coolant blows out.

There are analyzers that can detect gases in the coolant system. The other thing is to run the motor until it is at operating temps without the radiator cap on and see if bubbles or frothing appear at the radiator filling neck.

Dirty or old coolant can get a scum on the top which is brown in color and looks like oil. If your antifreeze is old I would first try flushing out the system and using a Prestone coolant flush to wash it out then add new anti-freeze and see how it goes.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 08:46 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by captaindesmo View Post
How common is it for the trans/engine oil cooling lines in the radiator to suddenly leak
At 20 years old, certainly not a surprise.

Before making any decisions or repairs, you may want to identify the source. Putting an ultraviolet dye in either the trans. fluid or the engine oil will tell you. Any decent radiator shop can do that and then check it. Once you know the source, you can decide if you want to repair/replace the radiator, or bypass the system with an external cooler.
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 10:00 AM   #8

If it were engine oil or trans fluid wouldnt it mix with the coolant and become murkey in coolant res. It stays on top, would like to believe it is the scum you refered to. Coolant below the film is nice and green
Old 11-08-2011, 10:49 AM   #9

How old is that anti-freeze?
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 11:38 AM   #10

if you decide to flush the coolant system be careful - have seen a number of water pumps start leaking after a flush. Seems the flush removes any "gunk" around the seals - no gunk and the seal starts to leak .... not trying to sway your decision just providing more information/opinion.
Old 11-08-2011, 05:58 PM   #11

I think what i will do is drain and refill, run a while and see if "stuff" appears again. Rad shop says old coolant can form scum on top, doesnt mix with coolant just sits. Just bought the unit two weeks ago and dont know history. I could ask, the previous owners seemed very straight up about everything and I have all maintenance records from new. He said regardless of age it's unlikely to have a blown head gasket at 19,000mi. unless overheated. seems to run normal just below 210 once near 230 on long hill
Old 11-09-2011, 04:03 AM   #12

You are on the right track, first you need to clean it up, and refill with fresh coolant. Then as mike said, the coolers in the rad are not prone to leaking, if you did have a leak there given the pressure they work at you would have a good bit of oil/fluid in the rad. If you have a problem at all more than likely a head gasket, that's easy enough for a rad shop to check. With an engine that old, I might opt for a T/stat in the 160 deg range and a aux electric fan to help cool it down a little, you may also consider a full rad cleaning at the rad shop. The fact that it only has 20K on it doesn't matter, gaskets tend deteriorate over time and lose their sealing ability. Good luck
bbeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 09:41 AM   #13

What degree thermostat do you think it has? Is the electric fan controlled by a temperature sensor too? does that need to be changed too? I havent been in the engine cover yet. Im going over today to putz around with it. Im asuming it also has a engine driven clutch fan, today im checking all fuel and vacuum hoses plug wires. before I take it out Im getting chassis lubed and wheel bearings. any other tips regarding older MH's are appreciated
Old 11-10-2011, 03:59 AM   #14

If I had to guess 195 Deg T/stat, yes the if it has an electric fan it will be cont by a temp sender and relay. You did not say if you had any knowledge of the maint history on the coach. If not, I would do a full service Air oill and fuel filters, Tune up and wires?, Trans ser, brake fluid flush, you should also check all rubber belts, hoses coolant, Vac, and fuel lines, and the condition of air intake system pipeing and filter. Also take a look at your brake hoses at the wheel ends and rear axle.
bbeane is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank