Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-05-2019, 02:55 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Angry Oil issues could be a ghost???? I hope!

I purchased a slightly used Monaco Vesta recently. The previous owner said that the low oil pressure light had come on 'once' but he couldn't get it to re-occur, so it must have been a fluke. I test drove the coach with no issues and we finalized the deal, money transferred, bought 'As Is' of course. I drove about a hundred miles and the low oil pressure light and alarm went off. I powered the coach down, checked the dipstick and plenty of new oil. Pressure gauge read between 55-70, but less going up hills (42-45). The sensor and alarm must have gone off about 35 times while driving the 700 mile trip and it would reset itself. The oil and filter were changed the day before I purchased the rig. Very annoying, but I don't think dangerous. I've seen posts on this forum concerning this on the Monaco Vesta's', but can't seem to find them now. Has anyone experienced this, or have a solution? Perhaps any theoretical reasons why this could be happening. My last MH was a 1987 Airstream 270, so the modern age of computer generated codes and alarms is baffling me! HELP!!!!! At $174 an hour for RV tech labor I don't want to just start replacing parts!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-05-2019, 03:18 AM   #2

When you say the oil pressure drops going up hills... exactly what are you seeing?

Does the pressure drop immediately when the engine downshifts and goes to a higher rpm? This might indicate that there is an issue with the oil pressure regulator? It could also just be an issue with a corroded connector or bad wire somewhere on the pressure sensor(s)... or maybe the pressure sensor itself.

Or...

Does the pressure drop slowly as the engine is loaded and begins to rise in temp? On long hard pulls this would be normal as the engine oil thins with the added heat. If the oil cooler is plugged or partially plugged, you would see this to a much greater degree as the oil would heat up much faster. The turbo housing is seeing 1200° exhaust temps under load, and the oil is the only thing keeping it cool... and the only thing keeping the oil cool is the heat exchanger between the oil and coolant.

If the engine is only slightly used... I'd say this is more than likely a sensor/electrical issue. That's where I'd start looking anyways, but your not talking to a professional. Just a fellow motor-homer.

-cheers
Piker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 05:25 AM   #3

Perhaps these posts will be of some help:
https://www.google.com/search?q=Mona...earch=irv2.com
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 10:25 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Well, when the allison downshifts going up the hill the pressure would drop to 40-45. When I crested the hill it would build back up to 60-72 on the down side as the allison climbed gears. The temp of the engine stayed low at about 200 but it was 28 degrees outside. I did notice the transmission temp ran low at about 120-140 degrees. I'm thinking it may be a sensor which I can have replaced under the extended warranty. I don't know if the National Indoor storage where I have it stored has Max Force certified techs in their employ. Probably just general repair RV guys. Should it go to a Navistar dealer for diagnosis or would you trust t to a generalist?
Old 01-05-2019, 11:38 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
"Should it go to a Navistar dealer for diagnosis or would you trust t to a generalist?"

Take it HOME! if you have the choice, take it to someone who knows this rig. I would drag my toad to Navistar, drop off the rig and drive the toad home. Kinda like a heart monitor going off, I wanna KNOW! No rookies guessing, even for free, I got no time for that mess. Pay the big bux and find the RIGHT answer.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote