Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-24-2013, 09:56 AM   #1

Oil mist on my boat when towing

Hello I have a DP. When I pull my boat it gets covered with an oily mist. Has anyone ever had that problem when towing?
Mr open road is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-24-2013, 10:00 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Check the hydrolic hoses and fittings on your leveling jacks.

Dave
Old 03-24-2013, 10:38 AM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
If it's an older diesel, it probably has a 'slobber tube' that is a positive crankcase vent. It hangs down beside the crankcase and vents pressure (and oil mist) to atmosphere. If you have a rear radiator, it can also cause dirt to accumulate on radiator and overheating. Many people either route slobber tube to rear of the coach, or put a collection bottle. Use the search function at top of page to search site for postings on 'slobber tube' you'll find lots of discussions and remedies.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 01:21 PM   #4

I had a 09 open road Fred when I would pull my boat and get to my destination it wold only have dust on it. No problem. Now I have a 2012 red (DP) when I get to my destination my boat is covered with an oily mist. Had the same problem since day one. I have a buddy that has a DP and has the same problem. His is a older model 07.
Mr open road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 01:50 PM   #5

Gas anyone added a connection to the exaust just past the muffler for this?

I would think a hole could be drilled, then a piece of tubing same size as exaust could could be cut to fit (1/2) of pipe, then a tube with an angled cut with about 1/2 inch difference could be welded in so the high side is towards the muffler to create better flow.

The tube is made long enough to not be hot enough at the end where the slobber tube attaches.

The interconnecting hose also higher temperature rated.

Would cumbust the oil and blow out dry residue instead of oil mist.

Sounds too easy so there must be a reason not used...
Old 03-24-2013, 02:03 PM   #6

There can be other reasons,on my last trip I had a little oil on bumper of toad,as I went to check tube thinking I might have overfilled oil I saw oil on a line farther up.If it quits raining tomorrow I will become a mechanic to try and resolve it.
greezykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 03:47 PM   #7

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TQ60 View Post
Would cumbust the oil and blow out dry residue instead of oil mist.

Sounds too easy so there must be a reason not used...
The exhaust wouldn't be hot enough to combust oil, just heat it and make it more viscous. It would probably collect on the insides of the exhaust pipe and drip out the pipe, leaving bigger blobs of oil. If you did burn the oil in the exhaust pipe, with the reduced O2 it would smoke like crazy. Also, your plumbing would add quite a venturi effect on the system, creating a negative pressure, 'sucking' more oil vapor than normal. The collecting 'bottle' has worked for me, the toad stays much cleaner.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 05:06 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Try using the search function type in "slobber tube" you will have more information than you need to decide what to do. This comes up about every two months.
Stillwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 05:18 PM   #9

We have a 04 Essex with a 500HP Cummins and over 3 years ago and 40K miles connected breather to exhaust to get problem with oil drops on the ground and the toad and has worked great. Cut pipe at 45 degree angle and weld in with cut facing out toward exhaust. Used HD heater hose and no problems.
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 05:23 PM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
If the crankcase is overfilled it will throw oil out the breather. On our ISC if I fill to the "FULL" line it's overfilled and throws the oil out till it gets down to halfway between the "ADD and "FULL" line so I just fill to that.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 06:00 PM   #11

Is it a clean or dirty mist? When our coach was new, on the first trip, the toad was covered with a very fine oily mist but it was clean so I knew it probably wasn't coming from the slobber tube. It turned out to be a loose hose clamp from the power steering reservoir. So I agree, it could be any number of things. See if you can trace it down to what type of "oily mist" it might be, i.e. motor oil, hydraulic fluid, blow-by, etc.

-harry
amanda_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 08:25 PM   #12

National RV Owners Club
On my friends 2001 pusher with Cummings, he had to wash toaded car, each time he
unhooked, he had it at different shops, no sucess..I completly washed engine, moved bed for access, started engine, small leak at a small return line near injector,
1/4 turn with a wrench and now after many miles, no more spraying of his car.
Have a Great Day in the Lord, gene
Gene1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 08:00 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene1
On my friends 2001 pusher with Cummings, he had to wash toaded car, each time he
unhooked, he had it at different shops, no sucess..I completly washed engine, moved bed for access, started engine, small leak at a small return line near injector,
1/4 turn with a wrench and now after many miles, no more spraying of his car.
Have a Great Day in the Lord, gene
Hey .... Thanks for this post. Lately I started to notice some oily mist starting to accumulate on our toad. Same problem as above with the injector lines ....which had vibrated loose.
Jack1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 10:20 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr open road View Post
I had a 09 open road Fred when I would pull my boat and get to my destination it wold only have dust on it. No problem. Now I have a 2012 red (DP) when I get to my destination my boat is covered with an oily mist. Had the same problem since day one. I have a buddy that has a DP and has the same problem. His is a older model 07.
Is your2012 equipped with DEF. if so it can't be coming from exhaust. The exhaust coming from a DEF system is cleaner than the air it sucked in through the breather. It must have a leak or something.
phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote