Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-03-2020, 04:39 PM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanDiemen23 View Post
you think shops keep stuff like that in stock? They'll send a runner to NAPA, for either a new pan or a weld in bung
But the scenario I was dealing with is removing the bolt and then discovering the pan is all messed up. Given what is known to date I think it would make sense to have the pan available. Otherwise you're just going to a shop to have someone else try what has already been tried.

It's a chicken and egg thing. Order the pan beforehand given what is known, or somehow successfully remove the bolt and then have to wait for the pan if not ordered beforehand. Given the relatively low cost of the pan and gasket and what has already been tried, I'd just give up on the bolt and replace the pan.

Edit: I should have read the next post before responding, because it's on point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LETMGROW View Post
If a good repair shop knew the circumstances they would have a pan and gasket sitting there. Otherwise they stand to have a bay tied up until they can get a pan in for replacement.
Not many parts stores will have oil pans in stock. Just too many choices for an item so seldom used. If the packages are unopened they can be returned.
Lynn
Goodspike is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-03-2020, 04:41 PM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith55 View Post
Have you thought of just taking it to a Valvoline like nothing was wrong? They must see this all the time.
Yeah, because they cause these sorts of problems!

Seriously it's typically oil filters that have been put on way too tight, but this is not beyond them either.
Goodspike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 07:25 PM   #87

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBL View Post
F53
Trying for a long time, 4 different impact drivers, after socket wrench. Plenty of WD 40. Last week, spent $350 on the Milwaukee snub nose impact driver. I am in a wonderful county campground (30 Amps,
but beautiful and $18/night ), and caretaker is a mechanic-nothing will loosen this thing. I tried drilling the top of the bolt with a titanium bit, got nowhere, but it was not a left turning bit.
Can I drill a new hole and use a top notch plug? Three shops were weeks out for an appointment. I need to be able to change the oil myself. ($$$)
Welcome all advice! Want to wander to Padre Island, TX, very slowly ,so that hurricane season winds down.
I'd be filing for making a new hex and for tapping on it repeatedly with a hammer before taking any drastic steps. Use the same hammer on a box end wrench in both directions. Then for a long breaker bar or pipe on a box end wrench for breaking it loose.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 08:21 PM   #88

I'm not sure the quick-lube oil change guys are quite the best qualified to repair the problem, but for sure they must see such issues.
GypsyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 05:06 PM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBL View Post
F53
Trying for a long time, 4 different impact drivers, after socket wrench. Plenty of WD 40. Last week, spent $350 on the Milwaukee snub nose impact driver. I am in a wonderful county campground (30 Amps,
but beautiful and $18/night ), and caretaker is a mechanic-nothing will loosen this thing. I tried drilling the top of the bolt with a titanium bit, got nowhere, but it was not a left turning bit.
Can I drill a new hole and use a top notch plug? Three shops were weeks out for an appointment. I need to be able to change the oil myself. ($$$)
Welcome all advice! Want to wander to Padre Island, TX, very slowly ,so that hurricane season winds down.
Please tell us why you decided to change your oil at a campground. You using a drain pan?
Fast E is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
frozen bolt, oil pan bolt