Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-25-2020, 07:08 PM   #1
FBL

Oil pan bolt stuck, now stripped by impact driver

F53
Trying for a long time, 4 different impact drivers, after socket wrench. Plenty of WD 40. Last week, spent $350 on the Milwaukee snub nose impact driver. I am in a wonderful county campground (30 Amps,
but beautiful and $18/night ), and caretaker is a mechanic-nothing will loosen this thing. I tried drilling the top of the bolt with a titanium bit, got nowhere, but it was not a left turning bit.
Can I drill a new hole and use a top notch plug? Three shops were weeks out for an appointment. I need to be able to change the oil myself. ($$$)
Welcome all advice! Want to wander to Padre Island, TX, very slowly ,so that hurricane season winds down.
FBL is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-25-2020, 07:35 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Make sure you replace the plug with an easy drain plug valve.
Hpyhilm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 07:41 PM   #3

Hope you're not gonna drill a new pan plug hole in the pan.....to thin to thread....get a Cobalt drill bit and work your way up in sizes......in the original plug.....
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 07:43 PM   #4

You can use a dip stick, oil drain pump.

That's all they use on boats.

Its called a oil extractor.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 07:43 PM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
If I remember rightly, those bolts are supposed to be softer than the Oil pan as a precaution against striping the threads. How much would it be to just replace the Oil pan? Seems like the kind of thing that might not be that expensive or possibly even available from a wrecker. Seems like it might be a better way to go that drilling a new hole.
Old 10-25-2020, 07:51 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I’ve had success by cleaning up stripped bolt heads with brake cleaner and then using epoxy (jb weld) to glue a 3/8” drive socket of the appropriate size over the rounded bolt head

Go for a beach walk and then take a ratchet and remove the bolt
Old 10-25-2020, 07:54 PM   #7

Get someone to come and weld a wrench on the plug. I'd do that before I drilled it.
rwhite1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 08:14 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Wow! I've never seen a drain plug that stuck before. The only way to put a new plug in another location is to remove the pan. There are kits that are actually made for transmission pans to add a drain where there wasn't one. It includes a large nut and washer for the inside and a hollow threaded bolt for the outside, mate them together in the hole you drill and then thread the drain bolt into that. Otherwise, the metal is too thin to screw into.

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...B&gclsrc=aw.ds
Old 10-25-2020, 08:18 PM   #9

Rexhall Owners Group
Before you resort to destructive methods. I'd get a good penetrating oil (PB Blaster Krull Etc). Spray the oil once a day for a couple of days and give it time to penetrate. WD40 is more of a water displacer than a penetrating oil. Heating the bolt before spraying the penetrating oil wouldn't hurt either.

An additional alternative is to heat the bolt pretty hot, then douse it with cold water. The sudden temperature change often breaks the rust or whatever is causing the problem.

Finally, if you haven't done it yet, use the impact wrench to try to tighten the bolt for a few seconds. It may break the bind enough that when you try to loosen the bolt it will kick free. But do this after the penetrating oil has had a few days to work.

Be patient. A few days of a good penetrating oil should work. Good luck! Also, torque when you reinstall is only 19 foot pounds - pretty light.
Old 10-25-2020, 08:19 PM   #10

I think twinboat has the right idea, leave pan plug and suck out oil, call a marine shop, they probably sell oil pump kits.
Outbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 08:33 PM   #11

When I have had bolts that couldn't be loosened with a torque wrench a long breaker bar worked every time providing enough room to use the bar.
Old 10-25-2020, 08:37 PM   #12

The oil in the sump is high enough that is will act as a heat sink/coolant so that you can weld a hefty nut to the stripped plug head and if you grunt on it hard enough while it's still hot from the welding it should break loose. I'd replace it once you get it out with a Fumoto type drain.

I'd be worried that even if you can drill through the stripped plug, you'll most likely introduce metal drilling chips into the oil sump, and nothing good can come from that. That can turn a small problem into a huge problem.
Old 10-25-2020, 08:39 PM   #13

When I had boats we used something similar to this one to extract the oil.

https://www.amazon.com/FIRSTINFO-Pne...%2C186&sr=8-17

I actually used it today for the first time in 10 years. I changed the tranny fluid on my CRV doing the double drain and fill. I added a little to much so I sucked it out.
noserider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 08:47 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
56safari gave some very good advice. The penetrating oil and heat will do the trick.
I will add that using a quality 6 point socket (Snap On) with a long breaker bar will also help.

You will never be able to suck all the oil out through the dipstick. The dipstick tube is at least 2" above the bottom.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
frozen bolt, oil pan bolt