Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-16-2013, 07:35 PM   #1

Oil pressure Cat C9

We are the first owners of our '07 Revolution. We live in S FL and when we we drive our west, occasionally on cold mornings ( in the 40's) I've started the engine and the oil pressure stayed on zero. I stop the engine and upon restarting the pressure goes up. I started using the block heater and I still have the problem. I also often experience slow starts. I spoke with Cat and they said might be a sensor and recommended I switch to 10-30 oil. My Spartan service always puts in 15-40. The engine uses about a gallon of oil in about 6,000 miles. Cat said this is normal.
I am due for an oil change and thinking of putting in synthetic. I am concerned that my oil consumption may go up with the lighter synthetic, but maybe it will make for easier starts.
Any thoughts?
Ggrvusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-16-2013, 09:13 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ggrvusa View Post
We are the first owners of our '07 Revolution. We live in S FL and when we we drive our west, occasionally on cold mornings ( in the 40's) I've started the engine and the oil pressure stayed on zero. I stop the engine and upon restarting the pressure goes up. I started using the block heater and I still have the problem. I also often experience slow starts. I spoke with Cat and they said might be a sensor and recommended I switch to 10-30 oil. My Spartan service always puts in 15-40. The engine uses about a gallon of oil in about 6,000 miles. Cat said this is normal.
I am due for an oil change and thinking of putting in synthetic. I am concerned that my oil consumption may go up with the lighter synthetic, but maybe it will make for easier starts.
Any thoughts?
When I start my C9 it is at about 100lbs then after it warms up a good 1/2 hr drive time at an idle it is 27-30lbs on my SilverLeaf. I use Mobil Delvac 15-40 and you should not go over 5000mi because of the HEUI pump because they are oil fired injectors same as my 06 Ford 6.0 and I do use Amsoil Syn oil 5w40 with a by-pass filter in it. Syn oil will run about 2X the price of dino but it may be worth it in the long run. I use about 3/4 gallon in 5k not to bad
I think you do have a bad sensor and you could also switch to a Cat 10w30 without any problems.
This may help to see how things work.
http://pdf.cat.com/cda/files/87775/7/pehp9526.pdf
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 11:59 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ggrvusa View Post
Any thoughts?

I cannot imagine that in the 40s would be any problem for a 15w- 40 oil. Hopefully someone from Alaska or Montana somewhere like that will chime in here. Going to the 10-30 will help out on cold mornings but will have a thinner viscosity oil when the engine warms up. I would not want that and like I said 15w should not be affected by 40 degree temps. I do not know if the cat engineers would recommend it but I use 5w-40 rotella synthetic in my duramax pickup and I like the way it works.

I also think there is a clue in your problem that the engine heater does not make a difference when you have it on and the engine warmed up. I would have the mechanics look at the sensor and keep using the oil you have been using if you like it. I use synthetic oil in all of my vehicles except the DP and that is because when they changed oil after I purchased it the shop used regular oil. If I start going to any very cold weather camping I will probably switch to the synthetic rotella like I have in my pickup
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote