RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-30-2018, 06:41 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Oil Pressure Reads High on Gauge

I have a 2007 National RV Tropical with a Cummins ISB electronic 300HP turbodiesel (a "pusher"). The oil pressure gauge on the dash shows a generic Low-Normal-High spectrum with no indication of actual pressure/pounds. When the engine is warmed up, the gauge always reads higher than Normal ... about 1/3 of the way between Normal and High. The manual says this gauge should always read Normal. I have checked oil level and oil was changed not that long ago. Any insights about what causes a high reading?
jdeitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-30-2018, 09:06 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDinRV View Post
I have a 2007 National RV Tropical with a Cummins ISB electronic 300HP turbodiesel (a "pusher"). The oil pressure gauge on the dash shows a generic Low-Normal-High spectrum with no indication of actual pressure/pounds. When the engine is warmed up, the gauge always reads higher than Normal ... about 1/3 of the way between Normal and High. The manual says this gauge should always read Normal. I have checked oil level and oil was changed not that long ago. Any insights about what causes a high reading?
Could be faulty gauge, faulty sender, or a real high pressure issue. I'd try to get a reading with a mechanical pressure gauge to determine if the pressure is high. Don't know how easy that is to do on an ISB.
Ljwt330 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 01:56 AM   #3

Welcome to the forum!

We're sorry that it took having a problem for you to join use, but we do hope that you will stay engaged on the board after you have a solution.
Old 08-31-2018, 11:17 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
If you don't have a built in engine data monitoring/display unit (to show you the "data" the engine computer sees - like water temp, oil pressure, boost, etc.) you may want to consider adding one.

The most popular is the ScanGauge D. It plugs into the engine diagnostic plug at your dash board. https://www.scangauge.com/products/scangauge-d/

If you had this monitor you will know the actual oil pressure, water temperature, engine rpm, engine boost, ect. It is not good to rely on the dash gauges as they are notoriously inaccurate.
CountryB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 12:41 PM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

I agree with CountryB. I use the Scan Gauge D for accurate readings on critical systems. I'm not sure if the "D" model would be correct for your rig or not.

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 11:13 AM   #6

Most accurate is screwing in a standalone oil pressure gauge to double check what the pressure actually is. This can be a mechanical or digital gauge.

Next would be engine data displaying in a Scan Gauge. But, it will only show the data that the same pressure sensor is sending to the existing gauge. It will be more specific in PSI than a "normal / high" reading. And it will isolate if your gauge display unit is not accurate.

Generally, the only thing that causes high oil pressure is thick viscosity oil. Are you using the proper weight oil for your temp / usage? There is also sometimes a check ball, typically in the oil filter pad to regulate high oil pressure. It might be stuck if your engine has one.

My guess is all is fine though.