Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-18-2021, 04:04 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Oil spray out of rear lug nuts

I’ve had this used coach for just over 2 weeks. I was going over things with an RV driving school instructor when he pointed out what appears to be evidence of oil spraying out around the lug nuts on a rear tire. It’s black, greasy and slightly worse on one side of the wheel than the other, but pretty much all the way around. The pattern is such that it looks like it is coming from behind each lug nut. It wasn’t there when I took delivery and is not on any other wheel. It doesn’t look like anything I drove through but looks like something spraying outward from each nut. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance for your help.It’s a 2017 Tiffin Allegro. Bus.
hmitchmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-18-2021, 04:21 PM   #2

Knowing what the rig is, and on what chassis, might be helpful...you can add that info to your signature lines as many of us have done.

But it sure sounds like a bad axle seal. Someone needs to (a) check the differential fluid level, preferably before the coach moves again if things are really wet, and (b) pull the wheels and such to check the seal, replacing if necessary.
n2zon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 04:23 PM   #3

Most likely a leaking seal on the axle. All rear axles are filled with lube oil and even though the seal is on the center of the axle, centrifugal force slings it around the wheel and it works its way out of the lug nut holes. Any medium duty truck shop should be able to re-seal it, and replace the fluid as necessary.
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 04:25 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by n2zon View Post
Knowing what the rig is, and on what chassis, might be helpful...you can add that info to your signature lines as many of us have done.

But it sure sounds like a bad axle seal. Someone needs to (a) check the differential fluid level, preferably before the coach moves again if things are really wet, and (b) pull the wheels and such to check the seal, replacing if necessary.
I have a 2017 Tiffin Allegro Bus. I did make a signature, but for some reason it didn’t show up. New to this. Thanks!
Old 09-18-2021, 05:15 PM   #5

Pictures of your axle would go along way into getting responses
shootist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 05:33 PM   #6

Well John,
I doubt it's an axle seal, could be but, I doubt it. Especially since it all-of-a-sudden started. 99.999999999999% of the axle seals I've either replaced or at least seen, leak on THE BACK SIDE of the wheels, normally around the brake drums and or disc shoes. The front side, where the axle is held in place, is held on at the end of the hub by 8 or so large type bolts. It's incredibly rare for that part to leak.

Second, if I had to guess without seeing the actual area in question, It's also potentially possible that, the last technician that did any axle, brake or tire work, possibly put some anti-seize or grease or heavy oil onto the threads of the lug studs to help lube the lug nuts when re-installing them. And, the centrifugal force of the wheel spinning might, just might, have caused some of that oil or grease or whatever to migrate outwards to the point you now see it. Just a guess here.

If you look around on here, you'll find out how to post pics so, if you take any, you can post it/them on here and we could better analyze it for you.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 07:52 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
I’m not sure how to post pictures here. We did photograph it to send to technician but they aren’t open over the weekend.
Old 09-18-2021, 09:30 PM   #8

Usually caused by wheellug nut torque. Retorque to specs.
Glennabbott1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 11:26 PM   #9

Possibly just thread lubricant. Take the center cap off and see if the outer axle seal is leaking. Pop the lug nut covers off and make sure the lugs are tight. Clean the wheel and keep an eye on it. Look for oil on the inner tire.
Rob_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 11:26 PM   #10

The axle has a gasket ( seal ) or silicon sealant on it, where it meets the wheel hub.

If thats failed, oil will be seen in the lug nut area.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 05:14 AM   #11

Well used gear lube like from a diff. has pretty distinct smell, and I would expect some gear lube to have been slung at least into inside of hub cover. Do you have alum. rims remove center hub or remove simulator for a look and sniff.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 07:15 AM   #12

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmitchmd View Post
I’m not sure how to post pictures here. We did photograph it to send to technician but they aren’t open over the weekend.

Scroll down to: Manage Attachments --> Browse (select file/pic) --> Upload

There are some limitations on what kind and size files can be attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Posting pics on IRV2.JPG
Views:	41
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	343552  
Old 09-19-2021, 07:52 AM   #13

What glennabbot said.
NevadaNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 10:08 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaNick View Post
What glennabbot said.

I don’t disagree, But is it coming from under the lug nuts or the lug nut covers. OP also hasn’t clarified if it has simulators or aluminum wheels.
Rob_M is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rear