Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-09-2020, 06:54 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steverino View Post
.... Otherwise it lived in my shop......

Ah HA, the truth comes out. By keeping it in your shop, you were showing it daily that it needed to behave, or you had the tools AND the wherewithal to take it apart if it didn't stay functional.

You scared it into submission. Probably the only way a Lucas electrical system would hold together.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-09-2020, 07:57 PM   #58

Quote:
This is funny - no question. However, as the former 22 year owner of a '67 MGB, I simply have to note that it never once left me stranded due to electrical issues (or anything else, for that matter). I would have trusted that car to get me any place I needed to go.
In '98 we bought a '64 Rolls Royce Silver Cloud III, Antique white with creme leather. It was a fun car for the almost 19 yrs. that we owned it. It was showing 87,000 miles and we drove it up to 93,000 miles in that time frame.

It certainly had things that needed attention over the years (re-cored radiator, new starter, a couple batteries, new tires, a new exhaust, rebuilt carb, etc.) It only left us stranded twice, once when the fan belts jumped off and again when there was a carburetor problem causing the car to severely back-fire which blew a hole in the exhaust pipe.

It leaked oil like all older british cars but it sure was a 'head-turner'! It worked well in my car club. There were no particular electrical issues. Funny that the electric windows worked without the key (no safety features in those days!).

After all those years it was time to move on. I sold it at auction for about $10,000 more than I paid for it and that covered all of the improvements over the years. So, we broke even!

I replaced it with a new RR Ghost........ wow, what a difference! LOL!

Safe travels,
Mark
Mr.Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 12:26 AM   #59

OP's computer probably belched white smoke, partner hit it with the fire extinguisher, broke screen and router.
He's trying to contact a computer helper now.
garywilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 05:17 AM   #60

The computer was a Dell rental?
Fordhauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 06:50 AM   #61

On the original issue the 1997 class C probably overheated and they took out the alternator along with a few other electrical components with the dry chemical fire extinguisher.

Once they clean up the dry chemical fire extinguisher related issues they will still need to deal with the original problem.

Yes sounds like a Private Rental from someone hard up on cash or a Rent-A-Wreck type along with someone who mayhaps should not be driving or owning a motor vehicle. The owner may be saying "What! You overheated it pushing the speed limit and then disabled the engine by hosing it down with a dry chemical fire extinguisher instead of letting it cool down and topping off the cooling system?"

Likely a lot more going on here than what was included in the original post.

Aside from that California has been under a State Stay at Home order since March 15 which keeps getting updated with stricter enforcement so why would anyone who is not a full timer be renting and just start driving an RV in the middle of all this at the beginning of April instead of complying with the Stay at Home Order? There is a reason why the US has had the largest outbreak of COVID19 in the World and to be honest its because of the person many of us see looking back at us in the mirror every morning.

At this moment with 466,299 confirmed cases of COVID19 in the US, 16,686 dead and only 26,522 known recoveries it would be in everyone's best interests to actually Stay at Home even if it hurts us financially. I am not retired and was looking for a job having been optimized along with the rest of my household when this hit so I understand the extreme financial pressure some may be feeling to do otherwise however I am staying the course of Obedience and will work things out with the finances when this has finally played out.
Old 04-10-2020, 07:19 AM   #62

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by geordi View Post
Ah HA, the truth comes out. By keeping it in your shop, you were showing it daily that it needed to behave, or you had the tools AND the wherewithal to take it apart if it didn't stay functional.

You scared it into submission. Probably the only way a Lucas electrical system would hold together.
Hey, when something's working one doesn't go looking for trouble...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Mark View Post
In '98 we bought a '64 Rolls Royce Silver Cloud III, Antique white with creme leather. It was a fun car for the almost 19 yrs. that we owned it. It was showing 87,000 miles and we drove it up to 93,000 miles in that time frame.

It certainly had things that needed attention over the years (re-cored radiator, new starter, a couple batteries, new tires, a new exhaust, rebuilt carb, etc.) It only left us stranded twice, once when the fan belts jumped off and again when there was a carburetor problem causing the car to severely back-fire which blew a hole in the exhaust pipe.

It leaked oil like all older british cars but it sure was a 'head-turner'! It worked well in my car club. There were no particular electrical issues. Funny that the electric windows worked without the key (no safety features in those days!).

After all those years it was time to move on. I sold it at auction for about $10,000 more than I paid for it and that covered all of the improvements over the years. So, we broke even!

I replaced it with a new RR Ghost........ wow, what a difference! LOL!

Safe travels,
Mark
Sounds like a lot of fun, and breaking even is a bonus. Only had that happen once, with my Citroen SM. Going from the SC to the Ghost must have been like going from a Sopwith Camel to a Learjet...
Old 04-10-2020, 08:36 AM   #63

Quote:
Hey, when something's working one doesn't go looking for trouble...

Sounds like a lot of fun, and breaking even is a bonus. Only had that happen once, with my Citroen SM. Going from the SC to the Ghost must have been like going from a Sopwith Camel to a Learjet...
I think if I ever get another 'old' car, it will be American made. Parts are priced better and easier to find. On the Silver Cloud III, my mechanic told me that the roters were in excellent condition. He said if I had to replace one, they were $2K each.

I did have to have the power steering gearbox rebuilt as there were no new replacements. I think it was $3,900 plus labor to install. I also had the speedometer rebuilt, that was not expensive.

I certainly didn't expect the car to go for what it did at auction, someone just wanted it as it was a pretty car and was left hand drive. The right-hand drive versions are usually half the price. The car was ordered and sold new to a Doctor in CA. We were the 4th owners as the 3rd owner bought it just to flip. so owner's 1 and 2 were long-term.

The Citroen's were super neat cars, never rode in one but I heard that there suspension allowed for a very smooth ride.

Mark
Mr.Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 10:27 AM   #64

Heads up! If I can get 10 applicants and 10 non-refundable checks for $500 deposit to rent my 1997 "whatever", I .will own one a week after check number 10 is deposited into my "Rent my RV account" Thanks
tshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 06:52 PM   #65

Something tells me we’ve all been trolled ....
Old 04-12-2020, 08:57 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddczech View Post
Something tells me we’ve all been trolled ....
Nahhhh...ya think?
My first clue was the "partner".
fottip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 10:23 PM   #67

First clue that you were trolled -- he spent alot in repairs of a so called rental and 2 it was his first post. After reading it i knew he would never return. watch he will return now
Vacoaching is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
abs