RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-02-2017, 10:28 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by ga traveler View Post
As a former service manager in the motorhome business, I feel like I can speak with a some authority. Motorhomes have come a long way since the sixty's. Ceilings no longer fall in. Cabinets no longer fall off the wall. The basic construction of the motorhome is much better. The problem is threefold. #1 Getting qualified help. Our welfare state causes a shortage of people who want to work for a living. A RV tech works in a tight area of a motorhome. Almost every shop is not Air conditioned. Motorhomes have gotten very complex. Mouth breathers can no longer do the job. People smart enough to do the job, would rather have a cushier job. EVERY SINGLE dealer that I had contact with when I was working offered me a job. It is not that they don't hire. It is finding qualified people. #2 The things in the motorhome that give the most problems are vendor supplied. This is the place that RV manufacturers can make improvements. There is also a catch 22 here. If one manufacturer uses premium quality parts and the other uses off the shelf parts, The Prevost will cost two million dollars and the Allegro will cost two hundred thousand. #3 My first motorhome was a 1972 Open Road. In 5 years I had 1 thermocouple failure and a generator carburator failure. Of the 5 motorhomes I have owned,It was the most spartan coach I ever owned and the most trouble free. Consumers are part of the problem, because we wan't all the bells and whistles and then complain when they fail. Lastlyo we really want the government involved in our lives even more. In 1960 I paid $750.00 for a 21 inch Zenieth T.V. A 1960 Chevy was $3200.00. The government stayed away from T.V's and got heavily into car regulation. I can buy a much better 22 inch T.V. for $120.00 (or less) A new Chevrolet is $35,000.00. If the lemon law is passed for Motorhomes, The price would go through the roof. Saying competition would bring down the price is dreaming. No one can stay in business selling a product for less than it cost.
Our 'welfare state' really?
That's the problem?
Not unregulated commerce?
I just night a Lincoln 46k
8 years full warranty.
Only pay for tires.
Companies can provide better service if they cared too. Some have.
Those are the ones to patronize.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-02-2017, 10:56 PM   #30

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hgrace56 View Post
Companies can provide better service if they cared too. Some have.
Those are the ones to patronize.
Well said
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 11:05 PM   #31

Been a boat owner and now an rv owner and unless it is a breakdown I have always scheduled work by just asking, "I want X fixed/serviced when can I bring it in for a day for you to work on it". Most of the time they schedule me in weeks or a month in advance and I can keep using the boat/rv. I would schedule my haul out three months in advance then fine tune it a month out. I would be in and out in under a week with my detailed to do list. The yard loved me, no surprises.

My brother on the other hand drops off his travel trailer with a long list of needs and waits weeks. Most items do not stop him from using it. Then complains how he does not have use of the unit. He just cannot plan out the work.

But if you're broken and cannot use it; just let it sit at the shop and understand you have to wait your turn. It appears rv repair is the business to be in right now. I know a mobile guy that is always two weeks out minimum and two months out in the spring when everything starts breaking.
Old 05-01-2017, 05:39 PM   #32

Not being mechanically inclined and also wanting to live in my RV full time, this entire post is making me very nervous. As a pet owner, i can't just take my pets to any hotel to wait weeks. Should i give up on RV ownership?
Gigi3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 08:18 AM   #33

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigi3000 View Post
Not being mechanically inclined and also wanting to live in my RV full time, this entire post is making me very nervous. As a pet owner, i can't just take my pets to any hotel to wait weeks. Should i give up on RV ownership?
Remember one thing. The people who have no problems never post that fact.
You only hear from the people with problems. I have owned 10 campers since 1968. Five of them were motorhomes. I have never had a major problem. No engine or transmission failures. I have owned my present motorhome for ten years. It was built in 1998. The refrigerator and water heater are original. (I have replaced the control boards in both at a cost of a little over $100.00 each.) Both furnaces have never had a problem. You will have some problems with a RV, but usually not serious ones.
Old 05-02-2017, 08:47 AM   #34

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hgrace56 View Post
And this is why Government Regulation is not a horrible thing as some would make you believe land another example of California leading the way in consumer rights civil rights and environmental rights.
Proud to be a Californian
Well catching up with the rest of the world at least.....
ElvistheKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 09:52 AM   #35

I couldn't agree with GA Traveler more. Don't give up on RV ownership. We too have traveled for more years than I can count with at least 2 dogs and 2 cats. Like the ga traveler, we have not had major breakdowns. Any mechanical/electrical problems we have encountered, we were able to sleep in our motorhome every night the MH was being worked on. I remember in 1997 we were rear ended. Ripped off the whole rear left corner of our rear engine diesel motorhome with a side radiator on that left side. With some bailing wire we wired ourselves together to continue our travel to Florida. When we went into the body shop, we were able to stay right in the motorhome while they worked on it. In fact a few nights, we slept INSIDE the shop. I teased the owner and said we should charge him for "night watchman" duties.

As has been said, most of us who have few problems don't post all the time on these forums. You are hearing from the unfortunate souls who have had major problems.

Ed Headington
Ed Headington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 04:51 PM   #36

Ford Super Duty Owner
Ever hear of RVIA?? That is similar to the ASE certification used by the repair industry to establish qualifications for the Auto repair technicians. RVIA is used for the RV technicians to become certified. The local CW dealer had 1 or 2 fully or master certified technicians. They regularly went to away for schools or on-line training to become certified.

The ASE certification began around the time the auto industry went full computer in 1980. NATEF is the certification entity that certifies local High Schools and state funded diesel/automotive training programs.

We moved from Detroit to AR back in 1982. I believe it was 3-4 years later that the entire state of AR forced all of their high school and post secondary training programs to redesign their programs to follow the NATEF guidelines.

Yes AR is a small state and we only had a total of about 70 HS and Post HS programs at that time. They made all programs follow (at that time) the 8 areas of ASE certifications. All high school programs had to teach: Electricity electronics, Engines, Brakes and Engine Performance. The Post Secondary facilities covered all 8 areas of certification. They picked up on Steering/suspension & Alignment, HVAC, Automatic Transmission & shucks the last area escapes me right now.

All instructors had to pass the ASE certification test given to Repait Technicians. All Post HS instructors had to be master certified (all 8 areas). I thought is was a great improvement. To this day I don't think there's another state that has done anything like that. I did attend National contests (20 times) and did talk to HS automotive instructors from all 50 states and never heard talk of other states doing what AR did. I'm kind of out of date on this stuff so I may be incorrect.

Many instructors at the HS level were upset that somebody was telling them what they had to teach but I assure you it was a very good program. What often happened before NATEF guidelines is an instructor would only teach his strengths so students build motors or did brakes and mufflers. They covered little electricity or advanced electronics. That left the students very short on knowledge and skills for the new computer era.

We were all given additional training as well as extra funding to afford the new scan tools, DVOM's and all the necessary tools. I thought it was great but many instructors just left teaching.

Something like this would be good in the RVIA area as well.
Old 05-06-2017, 03:38 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by ga traveler View Post
As a former service manager in the motorhome business, I feel like I can speak with a some authority. Motorhomes have come a long way since the sixty's. Ceilings no longer fall in. Cabinets no longer fall off the wall. The basic construction of the motorhome is much better. The problem is threefold. #1 Getting qualified help. Our welfare state causes a shortage of people who want to work for a living. A RV tech works in a tight area of a motorhome. Almost every shop is not Air conditioned. Motorhomes have gotten very complex. Mouth breathers can no longer do the job. People smart enough to do the job, would rather have a cushier job. EVERY SINGLE dealer that I had contact with when I was working offered me a job. It is not that they don't hire. It is finding qualified people. #2 The things in the motorhome that give the most problems are vendor supplied. This is the place that RV manufacturers can make improvements. There is also a catch 22 here. If one manufacturer uses premium quality parts and the other uses off the shelf parts, The Prevost will cost two million dollars and the Allegro will cost two hundred thousand. #3 My first motorhome was a 1972 Open Road. In 5 years I had 1 thermocouple failure and a generator carburator failure. Of the 5 motorhomes I have owned,It was the most spartan coach I ever owned and the most trouble free. Consumers are part of the problem, because we wan't all the bells and whistles and then complain when they fail. Lastlyo we really want the government involved in our lives even more. In 1960 I paid $750.00 for a 21 inch Zenieth T.V. A 1960 Chevy was $3200.00. The government stayed away from T.V's and got heavily into car regulation. I can buy a much better 22 inch T.V. for $120.00 (or less) A new Chevrolet is $35,000.00. If the lemon law is passed for Motorhomes, The price would go through the roof. Saying competition would bring down the price is dreaming. No one can stay in business selling a product for less than it cost.
While in general I don't like government regulations in some cases they are beneficial. For example the fuel mileage requirements (CAFE) instituted in the 70's or early 80's has resulted in us having much more powerful cars with much better fuel mileage. All car manufacturers were put on a level playing ground and knew they had to step up to survive.

I would gladly shop for RV's $500-$1,000 more in price if the unit had been put together correctly and did not leave the factory until a thorough quality check that is then done again at the dealer before delivery. Once all manufactuer's knew that the consequences for putting out a bad product would be great I think you would be surprised how quickly they could put processes in place to insure better quality.
Notlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 04:00 PM   #38

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notlad View Post
...I would gladly shop for RV's $500-$1,000 more in price if the unit had been put together correctly and did not leave the factory until a thorough quality check that is then done again at the dealer before delivery. Once all manufactuer's knew that the consequences for putting out a bad product would be great I think you would be surprised how quickly they could put processes in place to insure better quality.

I'm not sure that I can totally agree, though I feel your pain... we all have.

We WANT the best in everything that we purchase NO MATTER how much we paid for it... the size of our pockets determine what we buy, not the size of the customer service department at the factory, though that's what we complain about AFTER we made the purchase.

Yes, it's easy to suggest that we'd all be happy and glad to pay $500 to $1,000 MORE for the same exact product, from the same exact factory, on the same exact day, as the guy next door who decided to take the 'cheaper' route... but that's not actually how we all ACT, it's just what we SAY.

The factories respond to how we ACT now, not so much to what we SAY later, though some seem to do a better quality control job at the beginning, than having to risk customer loyalty and satisfaction by waiting to do it at the end.

: also, if you only read the 'bad' experiences that folks had after buying a brand new car - you'd also never buy a car. Sometimes these forums and chat rooms provide outlets for us when times are tough, but we don't come and post too often when times are good : ) The numbers can be skewed.
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 06:16 PM   #39

Since 1976 we have owned 2 Airstream trailers, a Airstream motor home and a handful of boats with two of them being houseboats.

We have been full time since about 2000.

We have never had service work done by a dealership.

We have never had a major breakdown nor have we ever needed a tow.

We learn to fix issues as they come along.
As many forum members do.

We are Very big on preventive maintenance.

1. Read the manuals.

2. Read the forums

3. Buy tools.

For every project you do yourself.

You can buy tools with $ saved on labor.

Never put off service and updated.

That's part of the cost of enjoying your RV or boating lifestyle.

And maybe that's why I continue to work my business.

But I never have to deal with dealer service or breakdowns.

Everyday is a learning day.

Service and enjoy your hobbies.

And your travels
HJLowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 10:17 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russtj60 View Post
You should make a stink. I think I know which dealership you are speaking about. They have just been sold to Camping World. I purchased my rig in November and without my salesman intervening, warranty items would have been ignored. Turnover was a joke. My recommendation is to have a solid PDI and stick to it. Let the GM know if you are not getting service. In this case, the squeaky wheel analogy applies.

Our dealer in metro Atlanta was also sold to Camping World between the time we ordered our Tiffin coach and our closing date. I don't know what service was before the sellout but it seems lacking now. We are heading to Red Bay in a couple of weeks to have some warranty issues taken care of there, along with a couple of non-warranty items. We also found an excellent RV service center about an hour from us and they will be our go-to for non-warranty repairs and enhancements we want to make. Red Bay isn't exactly nearby but it's only 6 or so hours from us.
Vlunceford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 10:21 AM   #41

Is spring the worse time to buy a motorhome or are the service centers busy year around? It seems fall would be the best time to buy then figure the MH out over winter, especially with the number of new buyers. I guess it depends where you are in the country.
Gigi3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 11:41 AM   #42

Far as I can tell and see this is the norm unfortunately.
I personally experienced it myself on a brand new RV. Sat at Lazydays for 5+ months for warranty work. They didn't/couldn't complete the work so I pulled it out of there and drove it the 1000 miles one way to the factory service center in Decatur IN. They did ALL my work in 3.5 days. And did it correctly.
Needless to say I won't take it to a dealer for work. Way too many complaints and delays. Even worse there is so much incompetence in the dealer network. You'll wait to have the work done and in the end is not done right.
I do all my work myself now if at all possible (I am out of warranty). If I can't it will go back to the manufacturer for factory service work.