Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-08-2016, 10:16 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
Why do you want all that info on different sizes and such? Is there some reason to change the OEM tire size? If so, you need not only research on specs but some learning about the effect of changing a size or profile.

Why does ANYBODY want information, on ANYTHING? It's to learn about what they're asking about, learn about OPTIONS and ideas and concepts. I never said I was GOING TO CHANGE tire sizes. I stated I want information ON THE DIFFERENT SIZES, load ranges etc.

As far as tire shopping & specs, you need to shop at truck tire websites & truck tire dealers, not the neighborhood car place. Search for commercial tire of heavy truck tire to find tire shops near you.

Who said anything about the neighborhood car place for shopping for tires? I tried the "Tire Rack" because it has been referenced on this site, many times for tires for coaches. And again, I ASKED WHERE to find information because I didn't know. I was not aware that I had to search on commercial truck tire sites or I wouldn't have asked where to find the information.

If I google 255/80R22.5, I get dozens of hits specific to that size. Or go to the Toyo, Continental, Hankook, Yokohoma, Bridgestone, Firestone, etc truck tire sites and see what they have.

As stated in my original post, I wanted info on more than just my present tire, the 255. If I'd have wanted info on just 255s I'd have asked for info on that specific size.

Some manufacturers use 265/75R22.5 instead of 255/80R22.5. They are considered equivalent sizes. See Size Conversions - Goodyear RV

I would get at least one more year from your tires. They aren't dangerous yet.
I stated in my original post, I'm "Thinking" about tires for our coach. I'm not running out to buy them tomorrow, just THINKING about them. I know and realize that my present Michelin's should easily go another year. I asked about any and all information about 22.5" tires so I could compare, learn and plan for when I get ready to buy. I have dealt with very few tire suppliers in my time and, it's mostly been Discount Tire. They don't deal in 22.5" tires at all. Any and every tire I've purchased within the last 40 years has been Discount Tire.

But, when I asked about 22.5" tires the last time I was in for some for my Jeep, they said they don't deal in 22.5" tires at all. So, this is why I asked on here, about all the pertinent information I could get on 22.5" tires. Once I accrue all of what I need and want, I'll formulate my game plan for purchase.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-08-2016, 11:40 PM   #16
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Scott....no need to justify your post. It makes perfect sense.....looking for info! Sometimes when you ask, you learn something completely new and unexpected. I thought it was a good post.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 12:10 AM   #17

Damon Owners Club
If you are looking for RV tire info in general, go to rvtiresafety.com. It has everything you have ever wanted to know about RV tires but were afraid to ask. It is from a tire engineers point of view. Good stuff.
Old 12-09-2016, 08:27 PM   #18

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by becks View Post
Bridgestone
Continental
Dunlop
Firestone
General
Goodyear
Hancock
Michelin
Ohtsu
Sumitomo
Toyo
Yokohama

All good tires for MH's, just choose the one you like.
Might add Hercules to the list you will find they are made in the USA by cooper tires.
Rkesselus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 09:23 PM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I just did a Google search for "...rv tire 22.5 inch...". Got over 5 pages of hits. It may not be rocket science, but it ain't "not there" either.

John & Diane, fulltiming since '12 02 DS40, FL, Cat, '04 Element NHSO RVM103
2004 Element
JFXG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 10:21 AM   #20

I surely appreciate all the help here guys, even the "almost" negative ones. That's why we're all here, to help. I have my very specific reasons for wanting as much info as I can get so, all this help will definitely assist me. Thanks again.
Scott
Old 12-10-2016, 10:23 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFXG View Post
I just did a Google search for "...rv tire 22.5 inch...". Got over 5 pages of hits. It may not be rocket science, but it ain't "not there" either.

John & Diane, fulltiming since '12 02 DS40, FL, Cat, '04 Element NHSO RVM103
exactly my point why write a long boring post about such when all one has to do is a simple "Bing" search
select55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 12:09 PM   #22

I'd suggest if you find it long and boring skip the post. I find it amusing and interesting.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 02:52 PM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ciderdog View Post
I'd suggest if you find it long and boring skip the post. I find it amusing and interesting.
Absolutely!

It would be nice if there was some kind of master list that would have all the pertinent information about 22.5" tires.

Like max load capacity at what psi and what optimum rim width and what total circumferance in inches.

My GAWR is 10,410 lbs and the recommended tire is 255R80 at 5205 lbs per sticker.

That gives me no leeway at all for loading my bus left to right.

On top of that I would like my tires to be able to carry more than my axle...

The tire image is of my Toyo154 on the front that was on there when I bought this mh. Date is 3410...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Toyotire.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	102.9 KB
ID:	146407   Click image for larger version

Name:	GAWR.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	146408  

Old 12-10-2016, 05:21 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinewalker View Post
Absolutely!

It would be nice if there was some kind of master list that would have all the pertinent information about 22.5" tires.

Like max load capacity at what psi and what optimum rim width and what total circumferance in inches.

My GAWR is 10,410 lbs and the recommended tire is 255R80 at 5205 lbs per sticker.

That gives me no leeway at all for loading my bus left to right.

On top of that I would like my tires to be able to carry more than my axle...

The tire image is of my Toyo154 on the front that was on there when I bought this mh. Date is 3410...

Imagine that, someone asking the same thing, hmmmm. In my original post, I asked pretty much the same thing, knowing that there are some, IN ALL FORUMS, that research the heck out of anything. I was hoping that some form of file that someone possibly built, could and would be displayed. I've done my share of researching and, I'd have eventually found and will yet, find what I'm looking for.

Now, your I.D. plate, located next to the drivers seat, is the same exact one, with the same exact specs and info, as mine is, word for word, number for number, spec for spec, EVERYTHING, except the personal stuff, VIN etc. Now, you mention the amount "10,410". Well, yes that's the GAWR of the front axle. And, your 255s, like mine, have the rating you stated, in single wheel form, 5205 lbs which, adds up to the same amount of capability as your axle, as you've determined.

But, just wondering, have you actually weighed your coach, as it sits, completely ready for a trip, loaded with fuel, water, tools, people, dogs and anything else that you normally carry? I'd bet you're a fair amount less than your listed max capacity. It would be interesting to see how close your actual weight is, compared to mine. The first time I weighed mine, and was ready for a trip, the front was 9180, the rear, 16,900, total, 26,120.

That did give me SOME leeway for loading, but, not a heck of a lot.
Scott
Old 12-10-2016, 06:36 PM   #25

Scott,

When comparing tires, look at the construction of the different tires. Some tires are made with different materials, thus cost more or less. Tires have been made with cotton, fiberglass, nylon, polyester, Kevlar?, and steel cords. Also what is the combination of materials and how many belt & plies? What do you want between you and the road? Not all tires are made the same. Then compare $$$$.
2 cats-trekn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 11:25 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 cats-trekn View Post
Scott,

When comparing tires, look at the construction of the different tires. Some tires are made with different materials, thus cost more or less. Tires have been made with cotton, fiberglass, nylon, polyester, Kevlar?, and steel cords. Also what is the combination of materials and how many belt & plies? What do you want between you and the road? Not all tires are made the same. Then compare $$$$.
Roger all that Sir, that's specifically why I wanted as much info as possible. Thanks for the input.
Scott
Old 12-11-2016, 07:38 AM   #27

Check world of tires
yrrebmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 08:12 AM   #28

Whenever I see an axle rating equal to the capacity of the tires, I wonder what the axle itself is rated at. My front axle is rated at 15,680 which is the total capacity of the two steer tires. I have learned that the axle rating is actually 16,000#, but is limited by the tire capacity. So, with your 10,410# rating due to the tire capacity, the axle itself might be 11,000#. If the wheels and body clearance can take a larger tire with a higher load capacity, the axle rating would increase to the new tire capacity or the axle rating itself, whichever was lower. Just more things to consider when buying your next set of tires. I did this very thing on a 2003 Phaeton. I went from 255X80/22.5 up to 275X80/22.5 with Tiffin's approval and help.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires