RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-07-2016, 08:44 PM   #1

Ok, request maximum info on 22.5" tires

Gang,
I'm in the process of "thinking" about tires for our coach. It's an '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the C-7 330HP CAT. It came with and, is sporting a second set of, Michelin XRV 255 80R 22.5" LR G tires. The production date on all six of them is 3410. At present, they're showing zero signs of wear with only approximately 30K miles on them since they were installed. Only withing the last year or so, have they started with the typical super-slight cracking, very near the rim edge. Prior to that, those sidewalls were crack free.

So, now to the question(s) at hand. While the internet is normally for me, a fairly decent source of info, no matter what I'm looking for, for some odd reason, I have an incredibly hard time locating good information on 22.5" tires. You go to Discount tires site and, if they were live, they'd look at you like a new puppy would, you know, kind-of crooked head look?

I've tried the Tire Rack and, it's predominently the same thing. Most of these sites so far go to 22" rims and tires but, no where can I find 22.5" tires and info. And so far, in trying to find on the web, any of them for sale, my best luck has been either ebay or Amazon. I've heard that if you're a member of FMCA, there's possibly some sort of discount when it comes time for purchase. The tires I now have, were purchased at Les Schwab in NV. Again, when I'm at their website, lots of info can be had on any tires, other than 22.5" ones that they claim, are handled up to a 1000 a day for their stores.

Well, I don't care if they sell 10,000 RV and truck tires a day, that doesn't do me any good if I can't research and learn about what I'm looking for or need to know about prior to me dragging the big beast down to a local store and tell them "call me when it's ready".

But, what I'm really looking for is, all possible information about 22.5" tires I can find and them compare all of the potential tires, from as many brands as possible. That includes such info as:

1. All brands that manufacture and sell, 22.5" tires for RVs
2. Load ranges
3. Size, in terms of numbers (i.e. "255 80R 22.5") vs actual height
4. Tread patterns,
5. Ride comfort
6. Longevity

When one is researching say, tires for a Jeep. You can go to any number of websites and almost touch them, much less learn everything that's listed above. And the same goes just about any other size/type/brand of tires. But, when it comes to 22.5" tires, I can find more info, more easily, on THE WHITE HOUSE than I can about 22.5" tires. So, to those of you experienced 22.5" tire buyers, can you send me a link, series of links, any info pertaining to what I've listed above? I'd surely appreciate it. OH, and some of you may ask, "Why not just buy what you already have and, what's been on the coach"?

The reason(s) are that, I may want to change brands, load ranges, possibly tires sizes due to the way I load the coach etc. That's why I'd like all the info I can get my little hands on. Thanks
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-07-2016, 08:53 PM   #2

its not rocket science in 10 seconds alone I found
22.5 at Tire Rack

simple tire is another

go to the manufacturers sites for all the technical informations u require

Michelin tires are over priced and over rated

continental;; hankook ;;toyo are all better tires for hundreds of dollar less
select55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 10:34 PM   #3

Were it I, those tires would not be replaced now. Small cracks/checking are not an issue.
This article explains sidewall cracks to a degree: Tire Tech Information - Rubber Cracking
Perhaps the best information concerning sidewall cracks is on pg 9 of the Michelin RV tire pdf.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 12:17 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by select55 View Post
22.5 at Tire Rack

simple tire is another

...its not rocket science in 10 second...

Well, just for my own practice, I went back to the Tire Rack site and, I guess my computer is not as good as yours. I searched:
1. Tires by size, NO 22.5"
2. Wheels by size, NO 22.5"
3. Manufacturers of tires. NO 22.5"

In the lead-in where you search for vehicle etc., I filled in vehicle type and, yes, it will lead me to "Freightliner". Then, it asks for model. It shows "Sprinter". Well, a Sprinter does not sport 22.5" tires and wheels. So, IN TEN SECONDS, I cannot come up with your answer. This is why I asked in the first place.
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Were it I, those tires would not be replaced now. Small cracks/checking are not an issue.
This article explains sidewall cracks to a degree: Tire Tech Information - Rubber Cracking
Perhaps the best information concerning sidewall cracks is on pg 9 of the Michelin RV tire pdf.
...those tires would not be replaced now....
Ray,

This is why I stated: "I'm THINKING...." about it. The present tires are not even at the "SEVEN" year so-called change-out time yet. They're not going to be replaced anytime soon. I'm just trying to gather any and all information on 22.5" tires I can so that I can have a game plan in effect, WHEN it comes time for a change.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 03:14 AM   #5
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
M / 87511

465.00 list cost for tire

65.10- FMCA Discount per tire
11.06 federal excise tax
1,643.8 total cost for four tires minus state and local taxes

Prices were just this past summer so it's a pretty accurate estimate for Description:
235/80R22.5 XRV LRG

I replaced them at the ten year interval recommended by Michelin.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 04:44 AM   #6

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Scott-

It's pretty paltry help, and I suspect you've already got it, but you can download the latest (18th edition) Michelin Truck Tire Data Book at this link.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 09:26 AM   #7

like said ;;tons of 22.5 tire information out there and easly available with a simple internet search

very very simple
select55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 09:43 AM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Early last month I had all 8 Michelin tires replaced with Michelins. The tires looked fine but the dates showed they were 2007 tires. Took the 365/70's about 2 months to come in. When I looked at the tires off the rims they were perfect inside and out so I probably could have gone another year or so.
Used the FMCA Advantage program and saved about $1600.
Michelin is the only one that makes the 365/70 tires my front and tag require. Could have used TOYO on the drive as they're 315/80's but I've had such good service out of Michelins I stayed with them all the way around.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 09:59 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Go directly to manuf sites. Also look for commercial tire sites and dealers instead of car / pickup tire sites ( tire rack). Think in terms of commercial tractor trailer service locations. Hey youve moved to the "big boy toys section".:-)
I had a 03 journey and if I remember correctly Michelin was the only one who made your exact size tire. There were "equivalent" sizes avail from other more reasonable priced makers ,toyo Hancock etc. I traded before that became a issue for me to resolve.
Just an FYI .. Replaced my current coach from Michelin to Toyo 2 years and 18000 miles ago .. couldn't be happier and saved almost 2 grand ( 8 tires)
BillJinOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 11:25 AM   #10
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"FIRE UP"......MY Diplomat had the Goodyear G670's which were a piece of junk. My new coach has the Michellins, which have been good so far. With that said, I'm a HUGE fan of the Hankook AH12's. They are a GREAT riding motor home tire and are priced at about half of Michellin and Goodyear. Their only issue is limited sizes available. They make a 255/70 x 22.5 (37" tall and 10" wide, Load Range H) or a 295/75 x 22.5 (40" tall and 12" wide, Load Range G).

For the cost, if they will fit your needs, I would go with one of these two tires. The shorter one 275/70 may give you a little power boost. I'm guessing your current tire diameter is around 38"-39".

I know there are several brands including Firestone, Toyo, Yokohama, etc that will work, but my fear of those is that they will be a stiffer tire than the Hankook.

Here is the website that I got the sizes from......https://simpletire.com/hankook-295-7...-3001782-tires
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 11:37 AM   #11

Bridgestone
Continental
Dunlop
Firestone
General
Goodyear
Hancock
Michelin
Ohtsu
Sumitomo
Toyo
Yokohama

All good tires for MH's, just choose the one you like.
Old 12-08-2016, 11:46 AM   #12

Send a message via AIM to 67fisher Send a message via MSN to 67fisher Send a message via Yahoo to 67fisher
I was in the same quandary as you. I went with the TOYO 255/70R-22.5. All 6 $2150.00 out the door.
67fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 01:58 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Why do you want all that info on different sizes and such? Is there some reason to change the OEM tire size? If so, you need not only research on specs but some learning about the effect of changing a size or profile.

As far as tire shopping & specs, you need to shop at truck tire websites & truck tire dealers, not the neighborhood car place. Search for commercial tire of heavy truck tire to find tire shops near you.

If I google 255/80R22.5, I get dozens of hits specific to that size. Or go to the Toyo, Continental, Hankook, Yokohoma, Bridgestone, Firestone, etc truck tire sites and see what they have.

Some manufacturers use 265/75R22.5 instead of 255/80R22.5. They are considered equivalent sizes. See Size Conversions - Goodyear RV

I would get at least one more year from your tires. They aren't dangerous yet.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 04:37 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by select55 View Post
22.5 at Tire Rack

simple tire is another