Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-28-2015, 08:12 PM   #43

I just drove from NC to SD, literally arriving today, spent two nights in rest areas, generator was never shut off. Do it all the time, now about that crockpot idea, I love it.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2015, 08:59 PM   #44

Yes, the crockpot idea is a great idea! Thank you but the owners manual says do not run the generator at night because of possible carbon monoxide poisoning. Has anybody ever experienced that? Does running the generator at night with the windows closed in the vents closed work well without getting carbon monoxide into the coach?

Sent from the eye of the Hurricane-somewhere in the U.S.!
2014 Thor Hurricane 32A
G Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 07:57 AM   #45

Gman if you are worried about it Google GenTuri. This will route exhaust out above your coach.

2005 Country Coach Inspire, C9 CAT
Old 06-29-2015, 08:10 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Man View Post
Yes, the crockpot idea is a great idea! Thank you but the owners manual says do not run the generator at night because of possible carbon monoxide poisoning. Has anybody ever experienced that? Does running the generator at night with the windows closed in the vents closed work well without getting carbon monoxide into the coach?

Sent from the eye of the Hurricane-somewhere in the U.S.!
2014 Thor Hurricane 32A
Back in my boating days there were regular sad events with gasoline powered generators and boating deaths during the summer.

A few years back, we stopped at a rest area in Florida and parked next to a gasoline powered coach running the genset. Just opening our door for a short period of time caused the CO monitor to rise rapidly.

If gasoline, a genturi would be a must in my opinion.

Diesel exhaust has a very nominal CO component compared to gasoline.
Old 06-29-2015, 02:28 PM   #47

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerBoater View Post
Back in my boating days there were regular sad events with gasoline powered generators and boating deaths during the summer.

A few years back, we stopped at a rest area in Florida and parked next to a gasoline powered coach running the genset. Just opening our door for a short period of time caused the CO monitor to rise rapidly.

If gasoline, a genturi would be a must in my opinion.

Diesel exhaust has a very nominal CO component compared to gasoline.

There are some differences with boats in the fact that sometimes they are rafted up with other boats and their exhaust maybe exhausting up against the side of another boat and causes all kinds of different problems. The boat you rafted up against has its hatch window open because they either don't have a genset or they choose not to have it running and your exhaust either enters the hatch or window or even migrates up into a thru hull from an open sink drain (install stopper if it doesn't have a trap) on older boats who's gray water drains directly out. With larger raft ups sometime because of how they anchored they may not swing with the wind or in a current let's say a river the wind blows the exhaust back up into the hatches of others because the small current is keeping you from swinging into the wind. Pulling up on a beach will also keep your boat from naturally swinging in the wind and allow the fumes to blow down wind. Sometimes you will see a raft-up break apart for the night and some pitch their own anchors out to eliminate that problem.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 06-29-2015, 02:56 PM   #48

I have ran the generator for days non-stop. Always use a Gen-turi. Don't know so much about the CO levels in diesel exhaust vs. gasoline. Both are carbon based fuels and will give off enough CO to kill you. Carbon monoxide is bad news regardless of the source.
znt1186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 08:43 PM   #49

Thanks for the information
NAT2002tb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 12:31 PM   #50

American Coach Owners Club
Run mine all the time at night, but then again my bedroom is in the back and my gen exhaust is 45' away at the front. Never had an alarm go off of any kind. Figure they put a gen start switch in the bedroom for a reason.
Old 07-10-2015, 12:00 PM   #51

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Travel with it running all the time. vehicle AC just won't keep up with the desert heat.
Old 07-10-2015, 09:22 PM   #52

I run mine all the time too. It's just more comfortable and convenient to have everything running. Keeps the beer cold and the coach comfortable.
Ruddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 09:58 AM   #53

Generator

Are you all concerned about the number of hours on your generator? I have 1,000 hrs. And service every 100+ hrs. Can't get to the spark arrested but air filter, and oil-filter are all serviced. HOW MANY HOURS CAN I EXPECT OUT OF MY GENERATOR.
BILL B
tradition 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 08:45 AM   #54

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tradition 1 View Post
Are you all concerned about the number of hours on your generator? I have 1,000 hrs. And service every 100+ hrs. Can't get to the spark arrested but air filter, and oil-filter are all serviced. HOW MANY HOURS CAN I EXPECT OUT OF MY GENERATOR.
BILL B
Not concerned of the hours, as long as you keep it serviced it should last forever ha. That's the reason I have a generator. We hardly ever boondock or dry camp so the generator would not get run if it were not for using it down the road.
camato5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 12:05 PM   #55

We do, run the roof air to keep the coach cool.
OldDoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 07:38 PM   #56

We run our generator while traveling -- great time to exercise it and also can run the basement air to keep the coach comfortable while traveling.

Tags
travel