Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-12-2012, 11:53 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Okay This Is Tough

The DW and I were blessed to find a great deal on the perfect RV for the two of us. It is a 2004 41 ft Dutch Star that was extremely well taken care of by the great couple that sold it to us in1/2012. This is more fun than we imagined it would be and 90 0/0 of the people we have met have been amazing. Not to mention that Buccaneer the Wonder Dog loves to ride in and protect the new home (Bucc is muscular 165 lb Bull Mastiff).

There is one major problem with this plan and that is I think owning an RV that you love but can not use as much as you would like is worse than not owning the unit . Don't get me wrong I no we are truly blessed to have the unit, but man I can't get enough of being in it or working on it with the DW. I worried about this before we purchased the unit and I was right lol. This Forum has helped me a great deal and we have learned a lot from reading the posted information.

The DW and I are not close to retiring so half time or full time use of our unit will not happen in the near future. I do envy those of you that are full timing and wish we were out there sharing the road with you. I am not complaining just venting, but as a my beautiful grandmother use to say " people would stand in line to have my problems". So new friends please travel safe and have a little fun out there for me and the DW, we will see you on the road real soon.

God Bless, Tee and Gee
TEEGEE1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2012, 04:08 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Very nice post, You and your wife are like many of use that may or may not full time but as you stated, you are blessed. As you, many will never full time but the thought of it is what keeps us going. The people you meet are the greatest and always willing to give a hand when needed. Working on these have always been a joy and the knowledge learned has always been useful and passed along. It's truly a great lifestyle, one that it's sad to say, many, will never experience. Enjoy your new to you coach. Memories cannot be bought, but you can make them happen. Safe and trouble free travels.
US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 10:09 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEEGEE1997 View Post
The DW and I were blessed to find a great deal on the perfect RV for the two of us. It is a 2004 41 ft Dutch Star that was extremely well taken care of by the great couple that sold it to us in1/2012. This is more fun than we imagined it would be and 90 0/0 of the people we have met have been amazing. Not to mention that Buccaneer the Wonder Dog loves to ride in and protect the new home (Bucc is muscular 165 lb Bull Mastiff).

There is one major problem with this plan and that is I think owning an RV that you love but can not use as much as you would like is worse than not owning the unit . Don't get me wrong I no we are truly blessed to have the unit, but man I can't get enough of being in it or working on it with the DW. I worried about this before we purchased the unit and I was right lol. This Forum has helped me a great deal and we have learned a lot from reading the posted information.

The DW and I are not close to retiring so half time or full time use of our unit will not happen in the near future. I do envy those of you that are full timing and wish we were out there sharing the road with you. I am not complaining just venting, but as a my beautiful grandmother use to say " people would stand in line to have my problems". So new friends please travel safe and have a little fun out there for me and the DW, we will see you on the road real soon.

God Bless, Tee and Gee
My son has the same problem. He works hard and does not have much time off. His solution was finding a place near them to just to get away and relax. We join them for this little get away and it truly gets you away from the stresses of everyday life .
I hope you can do the same.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 10:17 AM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:

God Bless, Tee and Gee

I'm right there with you. I'm 17 years from retirement. We get out and enjoy it when we can. I go sit in it and watch a game and drink a beer when it's parked. AND since buying our coach, getting sent to the DOG HOUSE has taken on a new meaning. I actually look forward to it

Enjoy it when you can, take care of it the rest of the time, and it'll be there for you when you're ready.
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 10:18 AM   #5

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Coastal Campers
We are half way in your boat DH is retired, but I have a few years yet. We bought a campsite 75 miles south of the DC area and get away as much as possible. Not the same as on the open road, but it is another world entirely from the week day commute (70 miles round trip). Maybe in a couple of years.
Old 07-13-2012, 02:56 PM   #6

TEEGEE I hear ya! Bought our coach 6 months ago and can only think about full timing it even though we are 15 yers from reitrement. We have however lived up to our commitment of taking at least one weekend a month in the MH. Lots of trips within an hour or three makes it bearable.

Good luck with your "probelm". We are comiserating with you.
Springer45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 03:12 PM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Life has a way of changing plans too.
I "retired" in '98, ordered a 2000 DSDP, then upgraded to a 2002 DSDP. Was doing IT contract work, life was good at over $7,000 a month income for me and another $5,000 for the wife. Parents needed more care so moved them around as they got older and needed more and more care. They died about 7 years ago, and fought the bill collectors for years over their "estate". All that was left was the unpaid bills.
Waiting for the wife to retire and her daughter died of a blood clots lodged in the lungs that came from her legs. Ended up with two grandkids to raise, one is 20 and has moved out, youngest is 12 now. Still waiting for the wife to retire! Did go back to work part time for minimum wage now. Get out about once a month though.
Enjoy what you can while you can!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 05:43 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I see I am not the only one, got are MH over a year ago and I am retiring next month. Now we are taking care of parents and only can get away for short periods. So I guess I will work on it and dream for now.
toadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 06:24 PM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
I keep a count-down chart of the time till retirement at work: (June 1st 2016) June 2nd 2016 we leave for Alaska for the summer.

Right now I have 24,000,000 + or - seconds, 400,000 + or - minutes, 6600 + or - hour and about 830 work days left. This is all actual time on the shop floor.....

I update it about every 6 months....
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 06:33 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
We happen to have some campgrounds within easy driving distance of home. Next week, we will camp all week as a family but I will still drive in to work for the first 4 days and then be camping full time for the weekend. The great forested campground is nearly empty during the week. Not quite as good as having the full week off, but still a different pace for the evenings. If you have this option, try it sometime.
Old 07-13-2012, 06:47 PM   #11

Enjoy your life now. Why wait? No one knows what tomorrow will bring!
We are at least 5 years from retiring and have a 2013 Entegra on order...

Quote:

God Bless, Tee and Gee
Robert L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 08:23 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
You folks are all great!

The DW and I truly enjoyed reading all of your comments and great advice. We wish the best for all of you and look forward to running into to you on the roads and in campgrounds throughout this beautiful country. The DW is working hard at taking care of her 84 y/o mom so we commend those of you that are working to take care of your loved ones. We wish you all safe and fun travels.
TEEGEE1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 05:29 AM   #13

I am still working and we are raising our granddaughter. I don't know if we will ever be able to full time, but we belong to a club that is 14 miles from the house. It has a nice campground, swimming area and fishing. We go out there almost every weekend. I'm glad we can do it. The weekends seem longer and it is great family time. I,m thankful for what I have.
CharlieTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 08:50 AM   #14

TEEGEE1997
Even though you may not be ready to 'FT', just think of the good times that you will be able to enjoy NOW! When we were both working, we would ake our MH to someplace and just 'hide' for the weekend. NO phones, no one calling with issues, no yard work, no house work, just time to unwind and get ready for the next 'round'.
Since I have retired, it has been frustrating, not to be able to get out as much as "I" would like but until the DW retires, that is the way it goes. Even when the DW does retire (24 Aug 2012) we do not plan on FTing it but do plan on taking longer trips(5-6) weeks.
The other upside of having the MH is that it things go bad, (lost power, major storms etc) you will always have a place to go that you will not be crowed into with LOTS of others. We also have our MH set up as our emergency shealter, just in case.
R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote