RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-19-2018, 06:32 PM   #43

Ford Super Duty Owner
Empty cans, there is not thermal mass from the liquid.

When there is a large thermal mass, i.e., 1/2 tank of gas. the liquid may not be able to warm up as quickly as the air that enters the tank. Moisture in the air then can condense on the cooler fuel and then sinks to the bottom where it gets trapped.. If the tank is full, the air space is small so very little air can enter the tank.

To minimize condensation in the tank, the best thing is an empty tank. The next best thing is a full tank..

It won't do MACH 2, but I can get a sandwich and take a pee.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2018, 07:08 PM   #44

Tank Condensation Myth - If a 20 gallon fuel tank is half full then that leaves 10 gallons of air trapped inside. How much water can 10 gallons of air hold, a couple of drops at best? Then how often is the air inside the tank changed out or replaced? Any fuel tank is normally sealed and the the air stays trapped inside.
Who ever gets water in their fuel tank unless from a contaminated fill up anyway?
Next question, how does it work that the fuel and the air in the tank are ever at different temperatures in a sealed tank?
I used to believe in the fill for storage myth until I forgot to fill and no water showed up.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 01:24 PM   #45

Ford Super Duty Owner
^^ under the right circumstances, its possible to get water in the tank via condensation.. I suspect the risk would be higher in climates that experience fast moving fronts where the air temperature changes quickly (I'd guess within an hour or so) where the increased air temperature is also more moisture laden air, with quick barometric changes.

The barometric pressure difference would be needed to get new moisture laden air into the tank,, i.e. The exterior air pressure is higher than the pressure in the tank. The fast change in temperature would be needed so the fuel doesn't have time to reach the same temperature as the moisture laden air.

Yes, this would produce condensation that would be measured in drops, if not less, during each atmospheric event. This would accumulate over the duration of storage.

As I mentioned, This is a long term storage issue, probably a year or more, but this depends on the geographic area where the storage is taking place...

For long term storage, I would be more concerned about bad gas than water.

It won't do MACH 2, but I can get a sandwich and take a pee.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 04:17 PM   #46

Texas Boomers Club
Soooo, here's what happened.

Totally forgot about the smell test. Decided not to add any additives. 1/4 mile drive to the interstate. Got on and headed to a place about 20 miles away that does oil and fluid changes on commercial trucks.

Seemed to be running a little rough once I picked up the speed. First time it had gone over 10 MPH in 2 years. I think it smoothed out after maybe 10 miles. The fuel gauge dropped below half a tank as if it might have been stuck.

At the service place, they changed the oil, which was clear-clear. Checked the fluids all good. Oil filter change. They forgot to change the air filter which I realized when I paid so had them pull it -- it was filthy! Welcome to desert sandstorms! $56 total.

Drove back to the place I park and it seemed to be running even smoother. Ran the generator the whole outting to burn more gas and keep the a/c running. Generator cut off just as I was getting back so I think that must mark 1/4. Headed to put in some fresh gas.

Noticing as I'm parked with my AC running that it isn't cutting out like its been doing. Perhaps the wind knocked some dirt off that was causing a problem.

Thanks for all the info and assistance!
WriteOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 04:24 PM   #47

Sounds like fill it up with some fresh gas and youre good to go. Id change the fuel filter if it were me - cheap and easy to do.
Sunny1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 04:51 PM   #48

I am in the same situation as the original poster. My 2002 Gulfstream BT cruiser has sat for about 2.5 years. I want to siphon the old gas out and I have a place to put it, but I can't figure out how to siphon it out. I've used a siphon before a couple of times in my life and understand the hydraulic principle, but I'll be danged if I can snake the siphon hose down into the tank to the point where it even touches the gasoline. Is there some special tool/device that will allow me to siphon it out easily? I live in Austin, Texas, and we do get the occasional cold front (had a couple of monsters this past winter) that dropped the temperature down 40-50 degrees overnight, so I worry about condensation.

Thanks!
Jnecakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 12:02 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jnecakes View Post
I am in the same situation as the original poster. My 2002 Gulfstream BT cruiser has sat for about 2.5 years. I want to siphon the old gas out and I have a place to put it, but I can't figure out how to siphon it out. I've used a siphon before a couple of times in my life and understand the hydraulic principle, but I'll be danged if I can snake the siphon hose down into the tank to the point where it even touches the gasoline. Is there some special tool/device that will allow me to siphon it out easily? I live in Austin, Texas, and we do get the occasional cold front (had a couple of monsters this past winter) that dropped the temperature down 40-50 degrees overnight, so I worry about condensation.

Thanks!

I'd suggest same as a long time ago.... Fiddling with siphoning gasoline is not a safe option on so many levels. And then there's the disposal problem. If it starts & runs do so. Is it roadable? Take it out and drive it conservatively and have an 'option(s)' in case of a problem.

Today's gasolines are waaaay better than the stuff made 20-30 years ago. So, 2.5 years will put you well into the window of fuels that are more resistant to gumming and crapping up like the old days.

Add a little bit of fuel as the tank goes down and keep doing so until you have 'exchanged' all the old fuel for new. After you have run some fresh fuel through it, change the filter.

Gasoline with ethanol is a good thing. Ethanol will carry out any moisture AND it is a solvent that will gently remove any varnish and such in the fuel system.

I'm not a fan of fuel additives but have/do use them on occasion. Once you have run some fresh fuel through the 'beast', maybe add some Gumout Regain Fuel System Cleaner with PEA through it.

While you are at it. Consider using one of the new fuels, like Shell V-Power Nitrogen Enriched.

https://www.drivingthenation.com/new...ng-the-nation/

Just the regular 87 octane will do.
Old Crows is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas, tank