RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-22-2018, 05:59 PM   #15

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarata View Post
so hes not your friend right
Try and sell them to a pawn shop
Mught get a few bucks for them
Russ Silber is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2018, 06:13 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgray View Post
IF those four digits are at the very end of the line that starts with "DOT", then yes they were made the 44 week of 2000, but I can't imagine them looking so good if that is actually the date code. It is likely only on one side of each tire, and must be the end of the DOT line to be the date code.

You didn't say what size, but I think even a lawn tractor tire costs more than $50 these days.
I had 17 year old tires on my old class A that would pass for almost new if washed and had tire shine applied. So it is sure possible.
awol50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 06:15 PM   #17

You may find a farmer or storage trailer rental place nearby that will give you something for them.

As is often stated here, if you drive on a tire more than 7 years and one day old, you will surely die, and I agree.

I just don't agree that the tire will be the cause.
Old 05-22-2018, 08:10 PM   #18

Camping world in Utah sold my coach to the previous owners with 16 year old tires that had some severe cracks in between the tread. The new owners drove all the way back to WI with it. I am surprised they didn't have a blowout. Before we took our first trip in it a few weeks back, I had new Toyo's installed. Peace of mind is worth whatever the cost. Installed a TPMS as well just to be sure. My guess is you air up the 18 year old tires, you will see cracks you didn't see before they were mounted.
npx84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 09:47 PM   #19

Not to sound like a smart alec but I wouldn't give these tires to my worst enemy. I value the life and welfare of my wife, my family and myself as well as others I could endanger around me on the highway too much to even consider mounting and using these tires.
Tires are expensive but so are long hospital stays and funerals as well as the vehicle you are planning to use these tires on. New tires would be a bargain compared to the alternatives possible to what could happen. Just a tow off a busy highway could exceed the price of a complete set of new tires.
Even a tire expert can't tell if a tire has been subjected to internal damage. Over a span of 18 years the chances are far greater than tires even 7 years old which seems to be the yardstick for RV tire replacement. Just sitting for extended periods of time in one position can do undetectable damage.
If these tires were so good why would the person who sold them to you do so?
Cut your losses and run.
Lynn
Old 05-22-2018, 10:06 PM   #20
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
There are two things on my MH that I don't get cheap with. Tires and brakes. Even though you show a lot of tread those tires are way past their time. I would never mount a 17 yr old tire on my vehicle. Unfortunately this was a $300 lesson.
Old 05-23-2018, 12:47 AM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
No way I would put them on my RV. Way too old for safety. Put them on Craigslist for a trucker to pickup for trailer tires. Should be able to recoup your money. I've sold four sets of RV take off tires this way.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 05:19 AM   #22

Iíve read post where people sell there junk tires that were to dangerous for them to drive but they will sell to someone else. Your lose is someone elseís gain on your life.
Old 05-23-2018, 06:17 AM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by macandphyl View Post
These tires are 18 years old !!

You would have to be completely stupid to use them.
Tactful
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 08:00 AM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
“completely stupid”
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdennislee View Post
Tactful
OK, someone smarter than you replaced even though they still had good tread.
A $300 education is better than a blowout on the front that takes you to the scene of the accident.

I’ve gone 10 years on tires that I put all the miles on but only on the rear as I replaced fronts at 7 years IF they pass a good inspection at 5. I’m replacing 4 year old Michelin’s with cracking on the front as I did not put any of the miles on them.

Even if they are 8 years old, You do not know the history and how they were taken care of...Run Forrest RUN.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 02:55 PM   #25

old tires

thankyou so much for all the great replies, I will buy 6 new tires
rparsonsca is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires