Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-12-2012, 10:44 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by F239141 View Post
Custom paint helps too
Also finding an 11 year old RV where the previous owner kept it under cover when not in use...which was most of the time.

I will guarantee that this coach will not look so good in another 11 years, because it will be going everywhere...including Alaska.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1719.JPG
Views:	94
Size:	119.3 KB
ID:	30403   Click image for larger version

Name:	newmar4095a.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	146.2 KB
ID:	30404  

Air Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-12-2012, 10:59 AM   #16

Country Coach Owners Club
Our 18 yr old rig has the Cummins/Allison combo and a Gillig Bus chassis.

We purchased it 11 years ago and now have 90,000 miles on the odometer.

The interior still shows very well, the exterior Clear Coat is challenged with outside storage in Central Ca.

I would drive the rig anywhere in No America and expect no problems.

DIY maintenance and repairs has kept those costs to about $500 per year or less excluding tires and batteries.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 03:51 PM   #17

Rexhall Owners Group
Like any vehicle, good maintenance is the key. I will spend time under the MH cleaning, removing surface rust and painting as required. If you see something amiss, fix it before it becomes a bigger problem. There certainly is nothing wrong with buying an older unit. Like Dean stated, I would also drive my MH anywhere in the US.
When possible I do perform all my own maintenace, servicing, electrical etc.
Have fun.

Martin
Old 12-12-2012, 03:57 PM   #18

Rexhall Owners Group
As for synthetic oils, yes. I use then in my cars, motorcycle and a semi synthetic in my aeroplane. I am a firm believer in them but, it is a personnal preference as there are a lot of good mineral based oils available. I'm playing catch up on the lack of maintanance by the previous owner.

Martin
Old 12-14-2012, 07:06 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
I see a lot of old class 'A' motorhomes still on the road. Kinda proves they were built for the long run. What is the secret of keeping these rigs on the road? If you have one of these rigs I would like to know how many miles you got and if you used any special maintenance routines. Like using synthetic oils, seal windows and inspect the roof 4 times per year, wash and wax 4 times a year etc.

Just follow the normal maintenance schedule.

The most important thing is to do a thorough inspection BEFORE the purchase.
UltraKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 04:22 PM   #20

Older Rigs

Our 98 Eagle is just shy of 75K miles and approaching 15 years old from the build date.

Will be four years of ownership next month. No issues except very minor stuff and engine, chassis and generator PM's have been done at Speedco with consistent good results from their on-site oil analysis.

Air filter, dessicant filter, new compressor governor, coolant change and transmission service are on the horizon. These items with the exception of the governor were all done prior to purchase so after 4 years it is time!

-Hand wax twice per year

-Regularly apply 303 to all slide and refrigerator seals

-Regularly apply 303 to all leather and vinyl interior items

-Use Boeshield T-9 to keep the Cummins C8.3 clean and nice and shiny

-Lubricate the generator slide and the main slide hardware with Boeshield T-9 on a regular basis

-Use 303 liberally on the tires, even the new Hankook AH12's purchased in
November.

-Periodically give the coach a thorough underside fresh water wash down.

The best thing I think that I do for the Eagle is drive it regularly. I am fortunate to be retired and enjoy driving it so between trips I take regular "joy rides" and make sure everything is working correctly.

DaveS
1998 American Eagle 40EVS
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	8760 Pictures 038.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	261.6 KB
ID:	30512  
FormerBoater is offline   Reply With Quote