Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-06-2022, 04:50 PM   #43

OP, find the area you want to live for a while and select a campground where you can park it year round to live in. Pick up a nice newer travel trailer in your budget and either have a dealer tow it to your campsite or hire someone to tow it there.

Live in it while you save for a proper tow vehicle and then hit the road if that is what you want.
jaydee325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-06-2022, 07:14 PM   #44

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
We bought a 99 holiday rambler endeavor with 24k miles from the second owner who had it for two years and put 8k miles of the 24 on it. Most its life it was keep in a barn.

Second owner did not have records, but knew the original owner. He was sure he changed the oil every year when he did the fleet of farm equipment. So we treated it as if nothing else was done and did all the maintenance.
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2022, 10:57 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by J BlueRoads View Post
I had a thread in the Travel Trailers forum about what a decent low-cost truck/trailer combo would be, and it was suggested that I look into older Class A motorhomes, since rising gas prices may drive down the prices of them. I don't already have a tow vehicle, and I do have a compact car that could be towed.
When I bought my 2001 National RV Sea View this summer, all RV inventory was expensive and in short supply.

Currently, it looks like there's more inventory, but prices are still high. I would not expect prices to drop anytime soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J BlueRoads View Post
I want to be able to have heat and AC at the very least, and electricity to the trailer at all times . . .

. . . I do like the Class A motorhomes, are 10-20 year-old ones possible to reliably live in full time?

. . . how much of an issue is the age?
In the Travel Trailer forum you were looking at units in the $6k to $15k range. Now you're in the $30k range. So what is the maximum amount you want to spend? I'll assume it's $30k.

First, you can probably afford a gas Class A for $30k, but not a diesel. I think PPL Motorhomes is a good indicator of what's currently available:

- Diesel Class As from PPL (Listed Low to High Price)

- Gas Class As from PPL (Listed Low to High Price)

If you have to have a Class A, again, stick with a gasser and stay away from Workhorse chassis. Stick with the tried and true Ford chassis & V10.

Second, is age an issue? You bet. However, I haven't found 10-20 year-old RVs to necessarily be "clapped out" as one "expert" said. Nevertheless, even if you get a rig that has a "good bones" (engine, chassis, and driveline in good shape), there's all that other stuff -- fridge, AC, tires, etc, etc that has aged. $$$

Finally, my vote is with Argosy -- go with a bumper pull trailer and truck.
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 05:13 AM   #46

Old motorhome don’t look cool? Check out this 2001 we seen, I think it is one of the best looking motorhomes ever made. (It’s a Newmar New Aire) Those old GM one are cool too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	321B23CB-F99F-44A1-B41B-E30BE42F7158.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	581.4 KB
ID:	358494  
klspahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 06:01 AM   #47

I had an old class 'A' once. Finding somebody to work on it was a real problem and things like headlights and windshield panels were impossible to source. If you own a class 'A' you need a place to work on it and an apartment parking lot isn't it. Nor is a campsite unless you are towing a utility trailer with compressor and lots of tools.
It seems to me a class 'C' could be a better fit for you. They generally cost significantly less than an equivalent size class 'A'.
Old 03-07-2022, 06:31 AM   #48

A couple of thoughts:

While there is nothing wrong with Ford chassis, a Workhorse chassis between 2002 and 2009 will likely have the Chevrolet 8.1 gas engine and Allison 1000 transmission. This is an excellent chassis and a motorhome with this would command a price premium over the Ford V10's of that era. If applicable, be sure the brake recall has been done and, for earlier Workhorse and Chevrolet chassis, be prepared to deal with the Auto brake parking brake system. This is not the catastrophe said by some, but needs knowledge and maintenance.

As TechWriter said, there is nothing wrong with a 10 - 20 year old motorhome. We paid top price for a 16 year old Safari Trek last year in superior condition with extensive upgrades and maintenance records. However, when considering an older motorhome or trailer, are you able to store this at your residence?. Being able to clean and do maintenance & upgrades in your driveway is really convenient and could make the difference between enjoyment or a pain having to commute to a storage facility - if such a place would even let you work on your RV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechWriter View Post
.....If you have to have a Class A, again, stick with a gasser and stay away from Workhorse chassis. Stick with the tried and true Ford chassis & V10.

Second, is age an issue? You bet. However, I haven't found 10-20 year-old RVs to necessarily be "clapped out" as one "expert" said. Nevertheless, even if you get a rig that has a "good bones" (engine, chassis, and driveline in good shape), there's all that other stuff -- fridge, AC, tires, etc, etc that has aged. $$$
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 06:36 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrvond View Post
I had an old class 'A' once. Finding somebody to work on it was a real problem and things like headlights and windshield panels were impossible to source. If you own a class 'A' you need a place to work on it and an apartment parking lot isn't it. Nor is a campsite unless you are towing a utility trailer with compressor and lots of tools.
It seems to me a class 'C' could be a better fit for you. They generally cost significantly less than an equivalent size class 'A'.
We have never had an issue finding someone to work on our ‘99 or finding parts and we have owned it for five years. A class C of the same age would have the same issues if that was the case. Chuck
chuckbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 06:58 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Schweikle View Post
A couple of thoughts:

While there is nothing wrong with Ford chassis, a Workhorse chassis between 2002 and 2009 will likely have the Chevrolet 8.1 gas engine and Allison 1000 transmission. This is an excellent chassis and a motorhome with this would command a price premium over the Ford V10's of that era. If applicable, be sure the brake recall has been done and, for earlier Workhorse and Chevrolet chassis, be prepared to deal with the Auto brake parking brake system. This is not the catastrophe said by some, but needs knowledge and maintenance.

As TechWriter said, there is nothing wrong with a 10 - 20 year old motorhome. We paid top price for a 16 year old Safari Trek last year in superior condition with extensive upgrades and maintenance records. However, when considering an older motorhome or trailer, are you able to store this at your residence?. Being able to clean and do maintenance & upgrades in your driveway is really convenient and could make the difference between enjoyment or a pain having to commute to a storage facility - if such a place would even let you work on your RV.

X2 with George!

A previous poster to this thread is trying to open the Ford vs Chevy debate when it comes to the Workhorse chassis. And I’m not arguing the Workhorse chassis is better because I own one, or because I’m more a Chevy fan than a Ford fan. Both manufacturers have positives and negatives about them that only you can determine what risk/benefit you are willing to accept.

Our good friends who are currently parked next to us have a 2015 Newmar on a Ford chassis. On a recent trip from Texas to Washington State, down the west coast to San Diego and back to Texas - had to have the complete valve train replaced on their V10 (one rocker arm had failed, and Ford dealer said replacement of all was recommended).
This after previously completing a trip where the brakes failed 40 miles after leaving home. They were fortunate to hav this happen within a few miles of Alvarado, TX and the dealer had parts in stock. They were on their way the next day.
All the above on a low mileage coach.

Our ‘02 Workhorse chassis coach, bought Jan ‘21 with 35k miles -

Had the brake recall performed on it (which includes a full fluid flush/change)
Did the Transynd transmission upgrade
6 new tires
New dash air compressor (combination of poor Delphi compressor design and the main engine wiring harness falling into the A/C pulley, shorting out through the compressor).
Re-securing the radiator fan shroud - OEM design of shroud and materials selection caused the shroud to creep and ultimately interfere with the fan. Catastrophic damage can occur if not better secured to the radiator).
MAF replaced due to high fuel trims.
Fuel rail pressure dampener failing allowing raw fuel to be dumped into intake manifold between cylinders 7 and 8.

And I could go on - but the coach provides an awesome motorhoming experience for the Ms. and I.

In the end, regardless of whose chassis or coach builder you go with, and as stated before - you either better know how to work in ‘em, or have deep, deep pockets to pay someone to do the work for you.
Old 03-07-2022, 07:23 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Schweikle View Post
A couple of thoughts:

The OP has stated that they will be full time in the RV. They have referenced being able to pay the same amount for RV expenses as they are currently paying for rent. It would appear that this is an effort to secure “low cost” housing. There will be no house, driveway or storage facility.

In my opinion there are more significant issues at hand than the choice of chassis or RV Class.
Kid Gloves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 10:29 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Gloves View Post
In my opinion there are more significant issues at hand than the choice of chassis or RV Class.
For example?
Old 03-07-2022, 10:48 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechWriter View Post
For example?
See post #41.
Kid Gloves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 10:55 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMark52 View Post
A previous poster to this thread is trying to open the Ford vs Chevy debate when it comes to the Workhorse chassis. And I’m not arguing the Workhorse chassis is better because I own one . . .
Of course not.

I’ve owned both — a 2004 Sea View with a Workhorse chassis and now a 2001 Sea View with a Ford chassis. Both were and are good.

However, since GM stopped making the Vortec engine over 13 years ago, I don’t think it’s the wise choice for an RV’s power plant.

Besides the engine, there are also components like dash electronics that some folks have reported difficult to replace.

When buying an on older RV, I would definitely try to reduce the number of obsolete components (like my original Atwood water heater).
Old 03-07-2022, 12:14 PM   #55

We have a 1998 Safari Trek that we purchased in late '20 for 13,200 with the 7.4 gas engine. They've gone up a bit since then to about $20xxx. The Safari's(I'm pretty sure all models) have real hardwood cabinets that are not stapled together. Most Treks have a "magic" bead that lowers down from the ceiling instead of a bedroom. This allows for quite a bit of room in a short(25 or 29') coach.

The only thing major was a new roof A/C unit. Otherwise, changed all fluids, U-joints, front wheel bearings. Pretty much, that's it for maintenance. No issue getting parts. The previous owner had fresh brakes up front as well as 2 new house batteries and 6 new tires.

We did get rear ended on I-10 a month ago and though we have to wait a bit, the destroyed black tank is still replaceable with the factory unit.

If it were me and we planned on mostly not moving I would look at a trailer or a gasser class A or C.
SteveJ. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 09:11 PM   #56

looked hard for nine months found a diamond not in the rough. 22 year old Country Coach. Been living in it since july 4th 2021, 18 states 10,000 miles not looking back

Tags
class a, motor, motorhome, motorhomes