Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-21-2020, 07:06 PM   #1

Older Class A w/ handling issues

Just purchased a 1983 30ft. Pace Arrow. Bought it at a great price w/ only 24K miles. It`s mechanically great, motor, trans etc. fine. I have repainted & restriped it, sealed the roof, so it`s water tight..However, the steering tends to wander a little & requires my constant attention. After much research, I am installing air assist bags front & rear, new shocks etc. to beef up the suspension, & hopefully help w/ the sway some. I`m also installing a Roadmaster Reflex steering stabilizer to help tighten up the steering & help center it. Read good things about this system.The tie rods, idler arm etc. all check out ok, so I didn`t rebuild the front end. Hopefully, my modifications will solve the steering issues. Anyone that's had similar steering issues w/ older MH have any other ideas? Or am I on the right track?..Any input from you "Vintage RV`ers" out there is greatly appreciated..
billyt7563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2020, 07:22 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
What pressure are your tires set at?
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 09:09 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
What pressure are your tires set at?
We recently acquired an '04 Itasca Sunrise and, believe me, it was a handful to drive the first time behind the wheel from Texas to north Alabama with the tires inflated to the maximum PSI stated on the door placard. One of the first things I did when we got home was to fill the fuel, propane and fresh water tanks to more closely resemble a typical load, weigh the front and rear axles on a CAT scale, and adjust the tire pressures according to the tire manufacturer's recommendation. I couldn't believe the improvement in overall ride and handling from such a simple "fix". I, too, originally thought about making some changes in the suspension but have opted to put those on the back burner for a while because it no longer seems to be such a pressing need at the moment.
Old 01-21-2020, 09:23 PM   #4
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
On those older coaches, the bell crank was one of the causes for wandering. SuperSteer makes a replacement that moves on ball bearings, not metal to metal friction.

https://www.amazon.com/SuperSteer-P3.../dp/B009WQQ64M
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 09:29 PM   #5

If the Bell Cranks are not the issue check for play in the steering box, a quarter turn of the adjustment screw on the steering box did wonders for solving my wondering issues. Just be careful how you do it, as over adjusting can cause binding and sudden failure of the steering box, which could have tragic consequences.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 09:38 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
On those older coaches, the bell crank was one of the causes for wandering. SuperSteer makes a replacement that moves on ball bearings, not metal to metal friction.

https://www.amazon.com/SuperSteer-P3.../dp/B009WQQ64M
When you say "older" would that apply to my '85 P30?

I'm always looking for ideas/suggestions toward fixes on my beast...

Mike
Old 01-21-2020, 09:51 PM   #7

Yes, all P30 / P32 chassis coaches came with Bell Cranks which were prone to excessive wear, often being warn out within the first 40,000 miles. See https://supersteerparts.com/product/...-rv-chassis-2/
Old 01-22-2020, 02:31 AM   #8
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherMike View Post
When you say "older" would that apply to my '85 P30?

I'm always looking for ideas/suggestions toward fixes on my beast...

Mike
Yes, the SuperSteer was made with the P30 chassis in mind.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 08:11 AM   #9
Commercial Member

on my 95 34 ft itasca, i replaced the bell cranks, with super steers, along with new springs from henderson.
that eliminated the front air bags, and, after an alignment, gave the coach a greatly improved ride and steering.
roadmaster sway bars, front and rear along with a steering stabilizer did wonders. my coach finally rode like i felt a motorhome should.
azpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 09:57 PM   #10

I checked the tire pressure, all were with in the high end of manufacturers specs, but I think I might lower them a bit & see what happens. Thanks,,
Old 01-22-2020, 10:06 PM   #11

I`ll check out the bell crank Thanks, also I checked the steering box & gave it a half turn. But I`m not feeling like it`s in the box. ( I have an older Dodge 4x4 had that problem)..The steering wheel doesn`t have any play in it, it feels more like front end wander.The tie rods & pitman arm etc were ok, so I`m thinking alighment. Maybe caster setting. Also I did order a Roadmaster Reflex steering stabilizer for it. Can`t hurt anyway. So lets see what happens when I get it aligned & Roadmaster installed. I`ll let Y`all know how it goes Thanks all for the advice..
Old 01-22-2020, 10:15 PM   #12

FYI: I went ahead & ordered the Supersteer Bell crank. I think between that & the Roadmaster Reflex stabilizer, & an alignment, should resolve my issues, I will keep You posted after I install them..Thanks Guys.
Old 01-23-2020, 11:46 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by azpete View Post
on my 95 34 ft itasca, i replaced the bell cranks, with super steers, along with new springs from henderson.
that eliminated the front air bags, and, after an alignment, gave the coach a greatly improved ride and steering.
roadmaster sway bars, front and rear along with a steering stabilizer did wonders. my coach finally rode like i felt a motorhome should.
The bell cranks are now on my to-do list, any details on the henderson springs? My air bags are toast, so I'm interested...

Mike
Old 01-23-2020, 02:20 PM   #14

I replaced my front airbags with Supersteer springs last year while having the front ball joints replaced. I find the Supersteer font springs make for a much softer more pleasant ride, with much more front spring travel, though I don't think it has any positive benefit on handling, and may even be a slight negative.

Tags
class a