Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-27-2021, 02:36 PM   #127

Quote:
Originally Posted by hattitude View Post

That's what I mean by voting with my wallet... If I like your product and how your business is run... I'll give it my support... If I don't, I'll take my business elsewhere..

No anger, no hurt feelings, and no desire to "convert" you to MY way of thinking..

In the end, I believe having a choice is mostly a good thing..
Exactly - I'm right there with you. I've done the permanent-resident thing at a park, both as one of the subjects of these "omg people LIVE here?" questions, and also as an overnight guest in another park that had other spots that were long-term. The only thing I find disagreeable is when someone lets their dog do his business ON MY COACH or directly at the foot of my stairs where I'm 80% likely to step right in it. That's just being a nasty person, the age of the rig has nothing to do with that.

But how the parks choose to try and exclude those who they deem undesired, seems to usually manage to tag people who are "not of excessive means" and that is a major turnoff for me to spend my money with them. I don't look down my nose at anyone who is struggling financially yet managing to enjoy their life anyway and has an older unit.

But I also choose to stay at truck stops and be self contained - both b/c the truckers don't care what I'm doing as long as it isn't impacting them, and I don't mind that they are making noise either as long as it isn't impacting me. We are freely living our lives and asking nothing from those around us other than the consideration to be allowed to live as we are.

There is a whole lot more of "live and let live" that society needs to embrace, but that's a dead horse for another beating.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-02-2021, 07:14 AM   #128

Age restrictions at CG

We have a 2006 Tiffin Phaeton 40QDH in beautiful condition. We have had to send pictures of our coach to some Campgrounds in order to be allowed to make a reservation with the 10 year rule. Also, some CGs only cater to Class A motorhomes. Have not been denied reservations yet.
CAJUNEARL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 04:58 PM   #129

We like to stay at some of the higher end parks simply because they are well maintained and tend to have nice roomy paved spots. They also tend to cost a little more, which eliminates the economy campers anyway. They also will let in well maintained older rigs almost without exception.

We also enjoy state parks where there is room for us. I don't really care what you camp in as long as you are respectful, and keep your space relatively well policed.

If you wouldn't pay $75-100/per night to stay in a high end RV resort that you think might exclude you because of the age of your rig, why gripe about it?

If you are willing to pay and want to stay there... send them a picture of your well maintained rig.

I bet you get in.
GWBGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 05:09 PM   #130

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xmcdog View Post
If they have the rule I don't even ask. Too stuck up for me. My money, my rules.
My thoughts exxctly!
MrsPhillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 01:06 AM   #131

Thor Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We all key on the things that are important to us. When we plan a trip, we reserve ahead. It works for us. We like knowing where we will be staying each night, and work to keep a timetable that works for us. When I look at CGs I focus on the rules that impact us. We have two dogs (70# and 30#) and I want to make sure I know if a CG needs to see vet documents or has a weight limit. I also focus on size to make sure the CG will be big rig friendly. Our initial selection is usually made due to location of the CG. We try to stay at 300 miles per day, so I range in from there. If there are multiple options, I look at reviews, ease of access, safety, rules (for the dogs), and amenities. I pass my choices of CG to the CEO for final review and then book once agreed.

Our last trip was our shake down run with new coach. We stayed in two state parks (AL and GA), one KOA, and a resort CG. Our favorite was the KOA. It was just a small well run CG with a great ambiance. Only bad experience was in the AL SP. Nice folks, park was just not as advertised. Live and learn. The resort did have a ten year rule, but there was a great mix of old and new rigs so they must be flexible.

We have looked at CGs on our routes that had specific rules about size of dogs. When we exceed their rules, I just look to the next CG in my planning. Just like when I find a CG that is not big rig friendly.

We just aren't comfortable with spontaneous CG selection, others are.

There are so many options out there, find the ones you enjoy and don't fret over the things we can't control. Every CG owner runs their business as works best for them, just as every consumer spends their money as is best for us.
New2road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 08:00 PM   #132

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsPhillips View Post
My thoughts exxctly!
What a coincidence this thread showed up in my email. I posted here a while back about being turned down in Alabama, sight unseen, and we were just rejected by a park in Traverse City, Michigan. Offered pictures and were told no. So I’ll spend my money elsewhere. And.... if I had any thoughts of trading up to that Diesel Pusher, ( I have ), I’ll just ignore them. Our rig has been under 24/7 365 upgrades and renovation since we bought it two years ago. We’re only a few more improvements from being where we want it to be. With only 28K on the odometer, I think it will last for a while and at my age may be the first, last, and only rig we will ever own.
I’ve been to Traverse City when our ski club from college went there and through there with a Geology class a year later. Frankly, it ain’t Aspen. So we’ll take our funds elsewhere, and if I ever DO buy that Tiffin, Holiday Rambler, (put your choice of DP’s here,) I’ll go to where the class structure is not dictated by ignorance and is open to everyone, not just as those with nasal drainage problems.
Extarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 06:18 AM   #133

10 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extarheel View Post
What a coincidence ........
Frankly, it ain’t Aspen. So we’ll take our funds elsewhere, and if I ever DO buy that Tiffin, Holiday Rambler, (put your choice of DP’s here,) I’ll go to where the class structure is not dictated by ignorance and is open to everyone, not just as those with nasal drainage problems.
I totally agree, only been asked once, about 20 years ago when we had a popup. Like you said ".it ain't Aspen". Heck it was about one step down from a wally world parking lot.
BruceDeville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 07:53 AM   #134

So .... I might get flamed here, but here goes. I once called to ask after a park in southern CA, and they had a 10 year policy. While on the phone, I asked “why the policy”? They said they had had issues with older, not well kept, units breaking down and being abandoned there ... which leaves them with a huge headache in terms of disposal and loss of revenue. From that perspective, not as snobbery, but as a CYA move, the policy makes a certain level of sense. Perhaps that is why pictures, showing a well maintained, likely dependable rig, often work? Just some food for thought...