Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-23-2019, 09:03 AM   #1

Older coach with low miles or???

Curious We are going to FT soon and want to purchase a DP. Im looking at 2006 allegro, country coach, maybe older foretravel. I would like to buy
a quality brand used coach.
So an older coach with under 20 k miles seems to
me one that wasnt run much at all. Has sat for long
periods (which isnt good) Where as an older coach with 100,000
may have been run more frequently.
Should i steer away from say an 06 with Less than
20k ?? What would be a good milage to look for
in an 06.?? thanks.
varmonter is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2019, 09:49 AM   #2

Welcome to iRV2.

Service records ! Big thing to look for in a used coach .

For an 06 , myself a 13/14, year old coach 80>100K miles with records, would be fine; after 130K , I'd shy away. BUT if the DW loved the floor plan , all bets are off.

Used and maintained , beats stored and ignored .
Old 07-23-2019, 09:52 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by varmonter View Post
Curious We are going to FT soon and want to purchase a DP. Im looking at 2006 allegro, country coach, maybe older foretravel. I would like to buy
a quality brand used coach.
So an older coach with under 20 k miles seems to
me one that wasnt run much at all. Has sat for long
periods (which isnt good) Where as an older coach with 100,000
may have been run more frequently.
Should i steer away from say an 06 with Less than
20k ?? What would be a good milage to look for
in an 06.?? thanks.
Mileage causes wear. Depending on how a unit was stored a low mileage unit could be the far better deal. I would have any unit checked out after I test drives it. I also would have someone else drive it while I listened and moved around to hear anything that I could not hear as I was driving.

Look at the tires as they are a costly item the low mileage unit will likely need new tires all around as they are past a safe age. Factor that into the price. Look at the for age of the tires. I bought a 2002 gasser with 33,000 miles on it and it runs great and it was checked by a mechanic who said it was in good condition.

Good luck.
sask934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 10:50 AM   #4

Any MH that has spent a great portion of its life parked (relatively low miles) raises a red flag. Not that it is definitely a problem, but it could be a problem. So extra due diligence (inspection by a third party) is warranted. You won't have an idea if it will be the greatest deal ever or a money pit until you do this. Good luck on your search.
Sandy Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 03:02 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sask934 View Post
Mileage causes wear. Depending on how a unit was stored a low mileage unit could be the far better deal. I would have any unit checked out after I test drives it. I also would have someone else drive it while I listened and moved around to hear anything that I could not hear as I was driving.

Look at the tires as they are a costly item the low mileage unit will likely need new tires all around as they are past a safe age. Factor that into the price. Look at the for age of the tires. I bought a 2002 gasser with 33,000 miles on it and it runs great and it was checked by a mechanic who said it was in good condition.

Good luck.
Good advise.. How long have you had it?
Has it been a money pit or a good reliable coach?
Old 07-23-2019, 03:08 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy Swede View Post
Any MH that has spent a great portion of its life parked (relatively low miles) raises a red flag. Not that it is definitely a problem, but it could be a problem. So extra due diligence (inspection by a third party) is warranted. You won't have an idea if it will be the greatest deal ever or a money pit until you do this. Good luck on your search.
Great thanks. I am curious . Where does one find a third party inspector?? Say im in wy and the coach
is in texas at mot?? I cant expect a dealer to find one
as its kind of a conflict of interest. I have an inate distrust of dealers.
Old 07-23-2019, 03:14 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
Welcome to iRV2.

Service records ! Big thing to look for in a used coach .

For an 06 , myself a 13/14, year old coach 80>100K miles with records, would be fine; after 130K , I'd shy away. BUT if the DW loved the floor plan , all bets are off.

Used and maintained , beats stored and ignored .

Well, according to Cummins and perhaps others, a well maintained modern diesel engine was engineered for a service life of 500,000 miles.
And, as noted, you need proven professional service records.
Mac99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 07:13 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac99 View Post
Well, according to Cummins and perhaps others, a well maintained modern diesel engine was engineered for a service life of 500,000 miles.
And, as noted, you need proven professional service records.
Yes but dont things dry up from sitting? mice wiring.
seals and what not belts dry etc? sure if run once in a while it helps. But a 20 yr coach with 20,000 miles. is
a thousand mi a year good enough or did the first owner put 15000 on it the first year and the second owner 5000 in 19 yrs. if you get my drift.?
Would you think 50 k for a 2006 is a decent amount?
or 75 or 80. Im asking for opinion. not a guarentee.
you folks are more knowkedgable about this than i am..
I mean a low milage car is desirable ..is a low mi
dp as desiirable. In 2011 i bought an 07 duramax
sierra with 30 k . It was a good deal. And the truck
is still pulling my 32 ft travel trailer. Runs like a watch.
Old 07-23-2019, 07:56 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by varmonter View Post
Great thanks. I am curious . Where does one find a third party inspector?? Say im in wy and the coach
is in texas at mot?? I cant expect a dealer to find one
as its kind of a conflict of interest. I have an inate distrust of dealers.
Here. https://nrvia.org/locate/

Make sure the inspector knows diesel motor homes. Many don’t. They may know travel trailers or gassers. Diesel motor homes are a different animal.

Low mileage well maintained mh is the way to go. Many are out there at affordable prices.
Old 08-08-2019, 06:54 AM   #10

Thanks .. I hear alot about different chassis. Why
does the chassis make so much difference to
who services it?? Sorry about the newb questions.
Old 08-08-2019, 02:25 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
Regular use (every couple months) is better than sitting, especially if it’s being lived in while sitting.

Add Monaco, Beaver, HR in that vintage and do not buy into a shorter DP because of public CGs. We are starting a 2 month trip out West without reservations staying mainly in public CGs...yes it’s harder with a big rig but not impossible.

Chassis parts rarely wear out so repair is not the issue, it’s how they handle. Prevost, Newell, Foretravel, and the big Monaco’s use 10 airbag chassis.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 04:09 PM   #12

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Spartan Chassis
I bought a 92 dp with 61,000.00 miles and 225 hours on generator Sun voyager. I personally like older stuff . It was much better built and has few parts that are electronic depended. If serviced properly by you will far ahead. Plan on new tires and a TPMS (tire pressure monitor) . Yeah some of the newer ones are a nightmare and a good way to drop 30 k in repairs. The older are good if you do your own work. If you do not do your own work then I would say no. The 5.9 cummings and the 8.3 cummings were the reason for RV diesels to be as popular as they are. They were the 300-500 thousand mile engines. A six speed allison will allow you to play with HP if you want. Some people want to do 70 up a incline pulling a full size truck. Not going to happen if you have less than 450 hp. Mine just a 190 hp so I get the truck lane. Not in a hurry anyway. Just depends on you.
Washington T is offline   Reply With Quote