Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-12-2018, 08:15 AM   #15

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by kone View Post
There’s an 06 Winnie Journey DP (36G) near me for sale ($68k obo). Meticulously cared for by ASE mechanic, looks like a real gem for someone but...Is that someone me (us)?

Retired couple, mid 50s, and dog want to try RVing mostly to see the US a few weeks at a time and see where it goes from there. Feel like we’d go somewhere, let’s say NM, move a time or two, head home, stopping along the way.

I have a very avg mechanical ability, however, and worry (borderline scared) that a class A, a diesel (or maybe even a travel trailer) might be too much of a reach. Maybe start with a 5er? Head is spinning while wife waits for it to stop and I decide.

Anyone been there? Any advice?
We have, when we first started out we rented a Class C just to get a feel for Rving. Previous we did all our camping pulling a Time Out Motorcycle camper with our motorcycles. We checked around a found a 03 Tiffin bus that we could pay cash. Never had driven a rv other than the class C, we have been using it since 2009 and have never regretted the purchase.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-12-2018, 08:15 AM   #16

To the OP, no you are not crazy.

The least expensive way to own a Motorhome is to "buy your last coach first".

Also, by buying an older unit you will minimize the biggest expense of ownership i.e. depreciation.

We purchased our first RV and it will be the last RV we purchase. Similar to your situation we bought it when in our mid-50's prior to retirement.

11 years later we have a 20 year old coach which is a joy to drive, easy to set-up when arriving at a campsite and with enough tank capacity to allow dry camping at music festivals, airshows etc.

Ours had 47K on the clock when we bought it, now just turned 100K. Virtually all maintenance has been P.M.'s (oil changes, lubrication, belt changes, tires etc.) and now that we are retired we spent over 40 days on the road this year.

The gas vs. diesel debate is continual on this forums, but for us the range, air ride, and rear engine of a DP won us over.

Good luck and have fun!
Old 12-12-2018, 08:21 AM   #17

kone-

The 2006 36G on RVtrader now, in Levittown, PA? There are six for sale now on RVtrader, nationwide. Asking price on the PA one appears to be about average.

Interesting that someone decided to replace the factory rear stop and turn signal housings with a different style; it could be because one was damaged and the factory ones are hard to find, or he wanted an LED set and they could not be found in that shape. Looks as if the replacement is neatly-done.

Also, by the brochure (link here) the patterned fabric on the furniture and valences doesn't look original. Again, if done afterwards, appears neatly done.

The towing limit for that coach is 5,000 pounds horizontal and 500 pounds vertical.

That's about this specific coach. And, there are "class" issues with Winnebagos of any era. If you should get serious about this coach, you should educate yourself about them (the issues, that is).

Now, here's my opinion on your original question:

Buy a Class A, used, gas or diesel. Buy an under-4,500-pound used car that you can tow on its wheels ("four down"), or convert a car you already own. That will get you around town and into the tight tourist spots/roads where you go. The systems are the same inside the "house," no matter what RV (trailer, fifth-wheel, motorhome), so that should not affect your decisions much.

If you can afford to buy and pay someone else to maintain it (until you learn to do it yourself), get the Winnie. Your progression through boats tells me you might find it a match for your "style." I don't think you'll spend a huge amount to keep it going. It's a nice size- not too big, not too small. It'll ride nice on the highway- better than a gas coach. And, the Journey has been around long enough that its strengths and shortcomings are understood. Several "good guys" here on iRV2 own the Journey, or its Itasca twin model, the Meridian. I've had my eye on the Journey/Meridian 32TD for some time, particularly the 2006 (the last year for the 32-footer).

Best wishes on your search!
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 08:32 AM   #18
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I would much rather buy a higher-end older DP than a new lower-quality rig. Our 2002 Windsor was 10 years old when we got it in 2012. We have not had any major problems with it!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 08:42 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooperhawk View Post
Some folks like to just scare you into their point of view. We've had our 02 Journey for many years and have never spent that much on maintenance in a year.

That year Journey might have one of those Cat engines and the one we have has been excellent. Also you won't have to worry about DEF.

Just get a Good Sam or some other extended warranty policy in case of catastrophic loss. We have one.
Well I'm not sure scared is the right term. More like a reality check IMO. For example, below is a list of DP repairs I've collected here on this forum. Oh and that extended warranty that's so simple to get for peace of mind JIC...yeah how many thousands did that cost ya? And even with an extended warranty you still have some out of pocket costs and the policy has to be renewed from time to time.

Personally, I feel that a buyers budget should be the major driving factor of what kind of RV they purchase. Not air ride, how many slides it has, how much it can tow, comfort of ride, blah, blah, blah.

Small list of DP repair costs:
• Replace the anti-lock brake controller and both rear rotors and brake pads. $3,300
• Get radiator in and out, plus $2700 for a charge radiator plus for a cleaning the cooling radiator $3,700
• Our Rig’s CAT engine expired early this summer. Been in shop since May, almost ready now after $32K
• Replaced High pressure pump $3,200
• Engine rebuild $20K-30K
• Bad EGR Valve, Turbo bad. Also had to replace manifold due to it being warped $10K
• Replaced everything brake related on the front end of my diesel $2K
• Replace manifold and fix leaking turbo $1,900
• Replacing air bags $3,200
• Full meal deal with air lines @ all 6 wheel positions, caliper pads,wheel bearings & seals for $1,500, serviced (every 2 years ,top and bottom)of the air dryer $75
• Looking at replacing the steering box with a "RedHead" rebuilt in the next year or 2.. will be under $1,000
• Blown Turbo in a 360hp Mercedes Turbo engine $9,400
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 08:52 AM   #20

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by znt1186 View Post
Agreed. I average around $1200 - $1500 per year having all chassis work done at Freightliner in Gaffney. Had almost $3,000 one year, but that was changing all fluids, belts, etc. on a new to me dp to set a baseline to go from so I would know that everything was up to date plus some extras.

Considering the Winnie, I would probably go for it, but that's just me. If you don't like it, you can always sell it later without a huge loss.

I'm on my 4th MH and 3rd DP and feel the 3K per year is quite high. My 2nd DP cost me the most because the dash AC went (around $1200), but that could go on a gasser as well.

On my current DP I just spent $877 CAD (around $600 USD) for oil change on both engine and generator, oil filters on both, 2 fuel filters and grease job, all belts/hoses and fluids checked, wheel bearings checked and with a new hub cap and fuel additive included.
Last year I spent just over $600 (no genny done but a wheel alignment).

I budget about $1500 a year for maintenance and only the dash AC caused an overage one year.

I'd also go for the Winnie, jump in and skip the 5th wheel. Don't overthink it all and have fun.

Chris
cvbdsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 08:57 AM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
[QUOTE=marjoa;4539850] For example, below is a list of DP repairs I've collected here on this forum.

And you collected them from this Forum of thousands of RVers most of who have never had these problems. Yes, scare tactics, and a lot of examples of people getting ripped off by shops. Most of those costs are pretty high.
2012 Journey 36M, Cummings 360hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 09:20 AM   #22

Older dp as a starter unit - am I crazy?

We went with a 15 year old better quality DP as our first RV and no regrets. Do your research, watch the YouTube videos and ask questions to understand what you are getting into.

The maintenance figures are definitely higher than for an SUV, but can also be greatly reduced if you are inclined to do the research and the labor yourself. When starting out, I paid $800 in labor to have a $250 part installed. Today I would watch some videos, buy the part online and pocket the $800. It all depends on your comfort level. Finding a reliable shop is key. I needed some simple mechanical work done recently and was quoted from $160 to $1000 for the same job at different shops. The mean was about $400. I think the $1000 shop did not want to be bothered with such a simple job. Definitely something to watch for. Shops that simply throw numbers at the wall to see what sticks. These are the ones that will be selling a new pump because of a clogged filter.

Check the manufacture date of the tires and be prepared for the $4000+ for new ones.
TwelveVolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 09:24 AM   #23

Country Coach Owners Club
We purchased our 7 year old DP 17 years ago. It was our first non-boat RV.

Still trying to decide if we like RVing.

Average about 5,000 miles per year.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 09:27 AM   #24

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by marjoa View Post
Well I'm not sure scared is the right term. More like a reality check IMO. For example, below is a list of DP repairs I've collected here on this forum. Oh and that extended warranty that's so simple to get for peace of mind JIC...yeah how many thousands did that cost ya? And even with an extended warranty you still have some out of pocket costs and the policy has to be renewed from time to time.

Small list of repair costs:
• Replace the anti-lock brake controller and both rear rotors and brake pads. $3,300
• Get radiator in and out, plus $2700 for a charge radiator plus for a cleaning the cooling radiator $3,700
• Our Rig’s CAT engine expired early this summer. Been in shop since May, almost ready now after $32K
• Replaced High pressure pump $3,200
• Engine rebuild $20K-30K
• Bad EGR Valve, Turbo bad. Also had to replace manifold due to it being warped $10K
• Replaced everything brake related on the front end of my diesel $2K
• Replace manifold and fix leaking turbo $1,900
• Replacing air bags $3,200
• Full meal deal with air lines @ all 6 wheel positions, caliper pads,wheel bearings & seals for $1,500, serviced (every 2 years ,top and bottom)of the air dryer $75
• Looking at replacing the steering box with a "RedHead" rebuilt in the next year or 2.. will be under $1,000
• Blown Turbo in a 360hp Mercedes Turbo engine $9,400
Boy, if I had a DP with all those problems I'd sure want a gasser.
Oh, sorry, that wasn't just one DP!

Around 12 issues listed with an average cost of repairs over $8K. Spread that out over the life of a MH. About the only ones that would spend more than $3K per year would be the blown engines and that's only if the original engines lasted less than 10 years.

No offence meant, but just how many DPs were involved out of the thousands in use? How many miles on average on the MHs? How were they maintained.

Do you also have a list with prices of all the money all gas owners on the forums have spent for comparison? For a start, check out what some have spent on suspension issues on gas MH's just to get a decent ride.Are there more blown gas engines vice diesels? etc

It's easy to cherry pick the worst case vice average.

Lets be reasonable and not turn this into a gasser vice diesel discussion, there are hundreds of posts on the forum about that.

Any MH can cost a fortune to repair/maintain and there a lemons of both types. Yep, a blown diesel engine can cost well over $30K but should that be a reason not to buy one? Me, I bought one (actually 3) and have not blown one(yet)

Do you homework(know the potential costs etc), buy what works for you.

Chris
cvbdsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 09:32 AM   #25

You might want to consider posting on IRV2's sister site, Winnieowners.com, to get some advice specific to Winnebago. Some other things to consider:

1. Asking prices are generally inflated significantly, in the 20% - 30% range.
2. Maintenance isn't the only financial issue, the upfront purchase price of a DP is going to be significantly greater than a gasser. Granted, the resale will be higher, but a 10% - 20% "hit" on resale will be significantly less in dollars with a gasser.

Granted, the advice on buying your last RV first sounds good but IMHO, unless you're very lucky, you just don't know enough about what's going to work best for you until you own one.
BCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 09:36 AM   #26

If you haven't noted the trend, the folks that do most of their maintenance are the ones with low cost of ownership for the most part. If you aren't up to that in a big way and willing to learn then stay with a TT or 5th Wheel. Otherwise go for the DP or whatever works for you.
lwmcguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 09:38 AM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
No, that's not correct. I do not do my own maintenance, I use a local shop and I spend no where near that amount. You only pay that amount if you go to the wrong place.

Look around and find a local shop and ask what they charge.
2012 Journey 36M, Cummings 360hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 10:08 AM   #28

National RV Owners Club
Our yearly fixed costs are as follows on a ‘02 DP with a Cat.
$90 - Oil and filter 23 qts Rotella. 30 min to change
$70 - primary and secondary fuel
filters. 30 min to change
$20 - synthetic oil and filter for generator. 20 min to change.
$40- antifreeze filter. 10 min to change.
$160 full grease job and underside mechanical inspection. Hired out to good shop.

Every 2 years:
$200 - air filter. 1hr to change
$100 - air dryer filter. 15 min to change

Extras this year:
$800 New muffler and exhaust piping. Replaced 16 yr old original.
$140- replaced antifreeze due to PH being out of range ($60 of it was an awesome vacuum tool to do it right).
$700 - replaced aged out steer tires (bought tires online for $300 ea took coach to shop for mounting).
$350 alignment (probably to be done every 4 yrs or so)
$400 - will replace 4 6v house batteries with Interstates from Costco. (Current ones are 6yr old Duracells that still work but We will be boondocking from Jan to May and I need all of the amp hours possible).

I may have forgot something but that is what Comes to mind. Hopefully no surprises coming.
We have spent around $6000 on making it our own and updates so far but that was by choice, not necessity.
BOOZE TRAVEL is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
starter