Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-16-2018, 05:28 PM   #71

Country Coach Owners Club
Rent

You might just give yourself a weekend trial. We rented Class c's a few times to see if we liked the experience. There are some real deals on rentals. If you try it and dislike it at least you won't spend the rest of your days wondering"what if". Another thing, those "idiots" in most cases get the heck out of the way when they see 30 or 40 feet of house coming at them. With few exceptions, you will be the biggest on the block. Either way, best of luck.
Kodiakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-16-2018, 05:45 PM   #72

National RV Owners Club
A special driver's license may be required if the Motorhome is over 26,000 lbs, just another thing to check into before buying.
GREGORYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 06:23 PM   #73

Dang. And I was going to jump in and point out his dream rig was pre-DEF/DPF!
Anyway, it sounds like the OP hasn't been on a scenic byway in quite some time. There's just something about seeing the rest of the country that lies off the beaten path - especially through those big old windshields.
DryCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 02:54 PM   #74

Monaco Owners Club
We bought a 96 40' Monaco class A and love it. I drive, my wife doesnt. We also have two daughters 5 and 7 we homeschool. I wish I would have known what to look for when buying this, our first rv. I have had to replace the radiator, charger air cooler, turbo charger, exhaust manifold and brake, battery bank, charger controller, inverter and the list goes on. I basically bought just when all the major component life expectancy ended. I am very handy so I've done all my own work and saved a ton. You are smart if you know the mechanic and work done is top notch. Class A have a ton of space, but get used to driving because the steer wheels are behind the driver instead of in front. Just something to get used to. We also like to be able to utilize the cabin while driving. Can't do that with a 5th wheel. If you can live with less space, I would highly recommend a long wheel base sprinter van conversion. Very good on gas and you can park anywhere. My rv is 34,000 lbs. My state doesn't require a special license, but since I use this for business, I do carry a cdl rated for at least 26,000lbs.
MatthewChase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 03:01 PM   #75

We ended up buying a 2003 Tiffin Phaeton w/ the Cummins that has been absolutely trouble free the last 2 years. We took it 17k miles around the perimeter of the US and found that 36' let us into nearly any park we wanted - though some were a bit tight.

The approach we took, and in hind site have been very happy with, was to buy an older unit that is at the end of its depreciation curve. Try it out for a year or two and then you will know a lot more about what you like without losing a ton of money if you want to sell or trade it in later.

Unmentioned on some of the postings is learning to be comfortable driving larger rigs - It sure is easier on an older/cheaper unit! A lot less worry.

I know a lot more about Class A's now both because I own one and because I have seen a ton across the states. If I were to get another one in the future, I would definitely feel more comfortable now spending more with the direct experience.

Hope this helps...
jk5516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 03:01 PM   #76

DP vs Gas

We've owned 2 gas Class A MH's prior to recently purchasing a DP. The gas ones were ok. The Ford Triton struggled on power a bit going up steep hills. I even added a Banks Power Pack on the second one. That helped some but not the difference I was hoping for. The worst thing though was you're sitting almost on top of the engine, and especially on the uphills, they're just plain loud inside the front of the coach. Not that quiet when just going down a flat road. The DP is much quieter and has plenty of power, even when pulling the toad behind.

You can definitely save lots of money if you're willing to roll your sleeves up and get dirty. I also agree that not all shops are created equal, and some are more reasonable getting things done than others. Gas or diesel, you have to stay on top of oil and filters. Shorter changes (5000 miles or less) is the best way to avoid major expenses. DPs also have air systems/brakes that require some maintenance. The reality is, any motorized vehicle can have failures and problems. That can happen with the tow vehicle if you get a 5er.

Go with what you like the best and are most comfortable in, and enjoy the RV life.
rbtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 03:02 PM   #77

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I don't see that as such an old DP. Ours is an '08 40ft Itasca (Winnie essentially) and it is just the right age. We bought it used. We started with a BP, then a 5er and finally the DP.

The good side was I learned a lot about taking care of an RV and how their systems work along the way but I could have just as easily learned all that with the MH ... although it would gave been a scarier learning curve. The downside to my approach is that each step was so much better and now we love our DP. ... I lost a fair amount of money with each trade.

Start with what you think you ultimately want if you can afford to do so.
Yonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 03:14 PM   #78

Older dp

In 2004 we bought a 1994 do. It was 10 years old but in great condition. Drove it 990 miles home. Still have it and have no plans on trading it in. If it's in great shape buy it and have fun.
junior1175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 03:23 PM   #79

yearly expenses

I have owned my 2003 Fleetwood Expedition since 2012 the 1st 4 years cost under $500 per year last year was my worst $$$ year at about $2k(ECU)--- am now looking for new tires so it will be a little worse
G Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 03:41 PM   #80

Damon Owners Club
Good deal or not

Quote:
Originally Posted by kone View Post
There’s an 06 Winnie Journey DP (36G) near me for sale ($68k obo). Meticulously cared for by ASE mechanic, looks like a real gem for someone but...Is that someone me (us)?

Retired couple, mid 50s, and dog want to try RVing mostly to see the US a few weeks at a time and see where it goes from there. Feel like we’d go somewhere, let’s say NM, move a time or two, head home, stopping along the way.

I have a very avg mechanical ability, however, and worry (borderline scared) that a class A, a diesel (or maybe even a travel trailer) might be too much of a reach. Maybe start with a 5er? Head is spinning while wife waits for it to stop and I decide.

Anyone been there? Any advice?

I have a 2006 gas Daybreak. Most of repairs issues were in first 5 years. So I see that age as a positive but a diesel while rides a lot smoother than a gas can be costly to repair- but nowhere near the depreciation of a new one.
My bigger questions would be the overall length. Unless you plan to tow a vehicile- a costly addition, you’ll be too long for most state and national parks. I’m 34 ft and thanks to my best friend with her own RV and tow car I wouldn’t have been able to explore places like Moab and other parks.
The most important I think is the floor plan and storage. Ease of entry. I love my gas as has a side door for ease of entry. I travel with several dogs ( I show them) and need a place for them and easy in and out. I just had my vehicle exterior redone (full wrap) after looking for several years for a similar floor plan.
ASK yourself these questions- do I have access to bath/ frig while traveling. Is the mirror heights easy to see in. Is having or not a stove/ oven/ washer dryer closet space etc workable for you. Does the table / chairs/ bench work. Do slides have to be out to sleep. ( there are times you can’t put out exp while traveling.
See if spending a day and nite in unit is possible - even on a pretend basis
I went through 4 other RV types before the one I have.
Good luck. I think RVing is the best. You’ll enjoy the journey as mush as the end destination. Have fun and best to both of you.
Ridgmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 04:01 PM   #81

Monaco Owners Club
“If your thinking about a class A now. Go ahead and buy one. Save yourself the Rv shuffle, it’s expensive.

The coach your looking at is likely to have less bugs than a brand new if the history of it and it’s owner is accurate.”

Gem1n1 is absolutely right!!! Take his advice.
I’m actually moving up to an older DP (sold the 5er) and I’m looking at a 2000 Monaco Windsor! So yours would be new in comparison. If it’s a quality coach it should last a while. The diesel will be one of 3 engines, a Caterpillar 7.2L, a Cummins ISB (5.9L) or a Cummins ISC (8.2L). All of which are very solid engines. They will need occasional maintenance. Pro-active Inspection before a trip can save many issues on the road. A side radiator model makes these issues ( belts/hoses etc) relatively easy.

Don’t do the RV shuffle for sure. Go for what you want up front.

Romr
ArkansasRomr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 04:09 PM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEM1N1 View Post
If your thinking about a class A now. Go ahead and buy one. Save yourself the Rv shuffle, it’s expensive.

The coach your looking at is likely to have less bugs than a brand new if the history of it and it’s owner is accurate.
I agree. IMHO, if the purchase price and average maintenance costs are within your budget, go for it. Better to spend $68k on something you'll use and enjoy than, say, $50k on something that doesn't get used because you don't like traveling in it.

Yes, there are horror stories about what CAN go wrong with a motor home but if everyone made their purchasing decisions based on those, it'd be a lot easier to find RV spots in July.
Aggie97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 04:49 PM   #83

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Diesel driving

We bought a 1997 holiday rambler navigator for $22k 2 years ago...62k miles Cummins 8.3...20k miles later we sold our house and we are living in it...They were better built back then...original owner paid $244k so it’s really a million dollar home!!!That being said,we owned a trucking company for 15 years so had plenty of diesel experience.
devildogroot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 05:13 PM   #84

If this is your First RV? And your tight on money, have a 250 or better truck, then I would go with a bumper pull trailer.
I started with a pick-up truck camper, 8 years and then moved to a 2004 Winnebago 40’ Diesel pusher with 60k miles, the engine is not broke in till 100k, yes it is way more expensive to run than a trailer, but it’s also way nicer. If you maintain it you won’t have issues. Mine goes in every two years for a Doctors visit. It’s like and old house and car combined, so plan on doing some work, otherwise buy newer.
pobstlmo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
starter