Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-10-2020, 05:49 PM   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Anderson View Post
This thread was a big influence in my "new" motorhome. Moving up from a 35 gasser to a 2003 Monaco Signature Commander 45 w/tag axle.

525 HP, 3 slides, and beautiful.

Wow Beautiful! Congratulations!
Rob_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-10-2020, 10:36 PM   #100

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Anderson View Post
This thread was a big influence in my "new" motorhome. Moving up from a 35 gasser to a 2003 Monaco Signature Commander 45 w/tag axle.

Beautiful coach! Congratulations!
jt
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 02:54 PM   #101
Onecess

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks, we love it!
Onrecess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 05:03 AM   #102

Great choice...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onrecess View Post
You made a great choice. Excellent build quality on a great chassis. Was on out short list last year. You can't go wrong with that unit. Congratulations on a fine coach. Enjoy.
Prof_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 06:30 AM   #103

Tiffin Owners Club
We bought a 2011 Phaeton in Feb 2020. It was in great shape, but we budgeted $20K for the “get it up to speed” activities. We have:
- zeroed out the engine, tranny, rear end & generator,
- beefed up the suspension (rear anti sway and new shocks),
- added a steering stabilizer ,
- changed out all the ceiling lights to LED,
- replaced the Splendide clothes dryer and
- a few other minor tweaks.

We have about half of our fund left. The next thing on the list is replacing the drivers rear view mirror as ours is rusting and the chrome is peeling. That is another $800-$900. There will always be things to do when you buy a used rig. Next year is the year to replace fabric on 1 awning, 4 slide toppers & 2 window awnings. We should still have about $5K of our fund left.
Old 11-18-2020, 09:59 AM   #104

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
14 months ago we bought a 1999 holiday rambler endevor DP with 24k miles and most of the high upgrades. It had all new tires. There has been two owners a farmer who put 16k miles on her and barn keep it and his number helper who put 9k miles in two years. Outside still has a shine.

We went through all the maintence, inspected all mechanicals, changed all fluids and filters, installed any outstanding service bulletins. Installed 200W solar with 40 amp controler and replaced all battries.

Inside we removed most the mirror's of that errors, upgraded the mattress to very high end, custom notified the tv boxes for flat screens, replaced the carpeting, Changed the gold fixtures and hardware to pollished nickel, replaced or upgraded all interior lights to LED.

Things to still fix RF HWH leveling jack which most of the time does not fully retract, but I have a simple work around, we will be replacing the sofa and recliner maybe reupholster or replace dinette, maybe more solar panels.

We already have over 100 nights and 12k miles on Alice.
All in at less then 35k.

This is our 7th camper/TV in 35 years. All were bought used and 5 out of 7 after years of use sold for more then we paid.
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 06:10 AM   #105

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
$10K spent on a 2011 DP in good shape and another $5K pending...seems high to me. Bought a 08 HR Navigator at 10 years old and after replacing the front cracking Michelin tires I spent $5K on “upgrades” as everything worked. $3.5K of items were 900w of solar, 880 AH of AGM batteries, Silverleaf monitor, and 2nd basement sliding tray. Replaced all 3 LCD TVs with smart LED TVs, all bulbs with LED, and put in an induction cooktop...granted all were DIY.

2.5 years later and 20K miles I’ve spent less than $1,000 on it and do not see any expensive items in the next couple years.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 02:52 AM   #106

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivylog View Post
$10K spent on a 2011 DP in good shape and another $5K pending...seems high to me. Bought a 08 HR Navigator at 10 years old and after replacing the front cracking Michelin tires I spent $5K on “upgrades” as everything worked. $3.5K of items were 900w of solar, 880 AH of AGM batteries, Silverleaf monitor, and 2nd basement sliding tray. Replaced all 3 LCD TVs with smart LED TVs, all bulbs with LED, and put in an induction cooktop...granted all were DIY.

2.5 years later and 20K miles I’ve spent less than $1,000 on it and do not see any expensive items in the next couple years.
When I buy a used vehicle, especially when I don’t have records, I like to zero out the key mechanicals. That is just preventive maintenance. The only true replacement was the dryer for about $700. The suspension upgrades were not manditory, but the coach drives and rides better having them. The LED bulbs are a comfort and battery management issue and cost about $225.

As far as next year, we could wait til the awnings fail, then replace them, but we prefer to be proactive.
Old 11-20-2020, 04:32 AM   #107

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtJoyce View Post
14 months ago we bought a 1999 holiday rambler endevor DP with 24k miles and most of the high upgrades. It had all new tires. There has been two owners a farmer who put 16k miles on her and barn keep it and his number helper who put 9k miles in two years. Outside still has a shine.

We went through all the maintence, inspected all mechanicals, changed all fluids and filters, installed any outstanding service bulletins. Installed 200W solar with 40 amp controler and replaced all battries.

Inside we removed most the mirror's of that errors, upgraded the mattress to very high end, custom notified the tv boxes for flat screens, replaced the carpeting, Changed the gold fixtures and hardware to pollished nickel, replaced or upgraded all interior lights to LED.

Things to still fix RF HWH leveling jack which most of the time does not fully retract, but I have a simple work around, we will be replacing the sofa and recliner maybe reupholster or replace dinette, maybe more solar panels.

We already have over 100 nights and 12k miles on Alice.
All in at less then 35k.

This is our 7th camper/TV in 35 years. All were bought used and 5 out of 7 after years of use sold for more then we paid.
I was looking long and hard at Endeavors last year when we were shopping. Had the right layout for us! Then we happened on our '99 American Dream, and knew she was the one. Bought for 22K, put about 5K into her. We also named ours Alice... She's an old girl, but works really hard, and takes good care of "The Brody Bunch"!Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20201108_064001112.jpeg
Views:	14
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	308647
castlemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 05:13 AM   #108

We shopped for over a year and finally found a coach that met our criteria.
It is a 2001 Newmar Dutch Star 4095. It had 58K miles on it. I replaced the tires, batteries., radiator and carpet. I did have the leveling system gone through and replaced some parts. I took it to a CAT dealer and had the engine, generator and drive train checked and serviced. Also, had it weighed and the front and rear aligned and tire pressure set to weight. Additionally, we had new washer & dryer installed. Last trip was 3 1/2 months long, about 3500 miles and absolutely no issues with the coach.

I probably have more invested than it is worth, but, it works well and we are happy with it.
hewebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 03:48 PM   #109

You got a sweet deal American coaches, Signatures. Dutchstars , Navigators and top line Beavers were my shopping list. Missed 2000 dream in Ohio because my van had variable valve timing issue that was starting and nearly impossible to diagnose . I was afraid to pick up a MH with what was going on. It's enough to gamble on a MH and worry about your chase car too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by castlemusic View Post
I was looking long and hard at Endeavors last year when we were shopping. Had the right layout for us! Then we happened on our '99 American Dream, and knew she was the one. Bought for 22K, put about 5K into her. We also named ours Alice... She's an old girl, but works really hard, and takes good care of "The Brody Bunch"!Attachment 308647
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote