Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-14-2020, 09:35 AM   #71

On road repair costs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darin1960 View Post
This is why I replaced mine, would you share you cost after all repairs, tow and everything?
I didnít need a tow as I was able to limp off of I-95 in low gear to the truck repair shop. I ended up paying 3 shops over $1200. The first one replaced the linkage. The second replaced the airbag and the third replaced the speed sensor. That doesnít count the money spent on the hotel or time and money spent on driving the 700 miles to Vermont then returning to retrieve the coach weeks later. Preventative maintenance is much less expensive and much less hassle.
moconno is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-14-2020, 10:28 AM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by moconno View Post
I didnít need a tow as I was able to limp off of I-95 in low gear to the truck repair shop. I ended up paying 3 shops over $1200. The first one replaced the linkage. The second replaced the airbag and the third replaced the speed sensor. That doesnít count the money spent on the hotel or time and money spent on driving the 700 miles to Vermont then returning to retrieve the coach weeks later. Preventative maintenance is much less expensive and much less hassle.
Wow, that's sad especially the fact you ( assuming ) ruined your vacation or trip and had to make a extra 1400 mile trip.
Darin1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 12:39 PM   #73

2002 Dutch Star

I have a 2002 Dutch Star with about 75,000 miles. Our local Spartan shop does an annual inspection and required PM. Rear bags replaced last summer due to leak. Their advice is to replace when they develop a leak.
Airlifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 06:48 PM   #74

I had to different coaches on Spartan chassis that developed a rear airbag leak. The first sign is a long air up time. If the leak is bad enough you will be able to hear it.
Old 02-15-2020, 05:16 AM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by moconno View Post

The aggravation part is the big issue IMHO. You're on vacation and then something like this happens. On top of that you are a long way from home and finding a good shop that is not going to take advantage of you is problematic. I'm glad everything worked out for you. With our motor homes it is a lifestyle that needs constant attention, and even with that things can happen.
Prof_T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 04:16 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRA225 View Post
1992 American- original Air Bags- Minor Checking on the surface- No leaks @ 238 K Miles- Why are there so many Air Bag changes on here ?
My guess, paranoia. I venture to guess no commercial bus company has air springs changed, "just-in-case", but only for valid reason.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 05:32 PM   #77

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Not about air bags

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcussen View Post
Had a 62 GMC bus conversion I sold a couple of years ago, about 1000000 miles total. Still had original airbags. Have heard of bags with slow leaks, but never one blowing out. If you cut an old one in half, you will find the walls are reinforced and about a half inch thick.
Hi just wondering when you have inverters does the motor have to be running
Grampa 8943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 07:03 PM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grampa 8943 View Post
Hi just wondering when you have inverters does the motor have to be running
Not sure what you asking, if about power inverters, they run off batteries to produce 120 volts. When engine runs, alternator charges batteries. If you do not draw too much power from batteries, engine does not have to be running, batteries will charge up next time you run the engine.
Old 02-15-2020, 10:01 PM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
My guess, paranoia. I venture to guess no commercial bus company has air springs changed, "just-in-case", but only for valid reason.
Call it what you want but Firestone recommends replacement when age cracks are present so not so sure it is paranoia. They definitely dont last forever so I would rather replace at home than deal with it on a trip. Just wondering and I promise I am only curious , how long do you think they will last, not talking miles but age? Mine were 17 and had quite a bit of cracking on the bottom and checking all over in various places.
Darin1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 10:10 PM   #80

Quote:
Call it what you want but Firestone recommends replacement when age cracks are present so not so sure it is paranoia. They definitely dont last forever so I would rather replace at home than deal with it on a trip. Just wondering and I promise I am only curious , how long do you think they will last, not talking miles but age? Mine were 17 and had quite a bit of cracking on the bottom and checking all over in various places.
I have no idea how long air springs will last. Mine are 32 yrs old now, there are NO cracks or wrinkles on them. Our MH is always parked inside our RV garage when unused,leveling jacks deployed air springs deflated.
I have never used any product on them,just spray the underside I can reach with my pressure washer once a year.
I hope I haven't jinked myself now.

The bottom line is, do whatever you are comfortable with. I would not enjoy traveling when constantly on edge something might fail.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Old 02-15-2020, 10:15 PM   #81

Quote:
I have no idea how long air springs will last. Mine are 21 yrs old now,(1999 Spartan chassis) there are NO cracks or wrinkles on them. Our MH is always parked inside our RV garage when unused,leveling jacks deployed air springs deflated.
I have never used any product on them,just spray the underside I can reach with my pressure washer once a year.
Bottom line: each person must make their own decision based on their comfort level. No-one is wrong is these situations. I will state, I would not travel when I was constantly on edge something might fail_ because, eventually everything made by man fails.
Old 02-15-2020, 10:22 PM   #82

We have some FT friends that have a Thor 2014 40' Tuscany DP and they had to have ALL their air bags replaced 3 months ago. I couldn't believe it. They should of lasted a whole lot longer. They were covered by their extended warranty with a $500 deductible and a lot of down time, hassle and a trip to the factory in IN to have them replaced.
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 11:25 PM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
I have no idea how long air springs will last. Mine are 21 yrs old now,(1999 Spartan chassis) there are NO cracks or wrinkles on them. Our MH is always parked inside our RV garage when unused,leveling jacks deployed air springs deflated.
Bottom line: each person must make their own decision based on their comfort level. No-one is wrong is these situations. I will state, I would not travel when I was constantly on edge something might fail_ because, eventually everything made by man fails.
Agree, some will just throw money into the hole in the driveway, but something else will always break. Got a buddy that read on some forum that batteries fail in 4 years, so he spends $1500 every 3 years. Got another buddy that has not driven his coach in 3 years because he is afraid of what could happen. Go figure. Proactive to me is oil and filter changes, 6 year tire changes, 4 year air filter/dryer changes, 2 year air filter changes, the rest as required when they show problems.
RVing is not for the faint of heart.
Old 02-16-2020, 04:01 AM   #84

Looks like Grease monkey changes
Them every 60 to 70 years Regardless if they are leaking or not

Maybe the quality was better in the 40s and 50s ???
For many things ??? Ha
HJLowell is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ags, air