Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-20-2020, 10:28 PM   #99
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I replaced one air bag because the outer cover had a cut in it.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2022, 03:25 PM   #100

Entegra Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I know this thread is almost 3 years old, but the one thing that is being forgot here is truckers hardly ever compress their bags and sit with them down like when we drop the coaches to level. Every time we drop the coach down it bends the bottom of the rubber in the bags anywhere from 90 to 180 degrees, this is what wears the rubber out and causes cracks.

2007 Heritage K2 53k garage kept but the bottoms of my bags are starting to show cracks.
Soon to be replaced.
sacrcflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2022, 06:06 AM   #101

Replace or Regret?

I blew out my right rear airbag on my 22 year old Newmar MountainAire while on I95 enroute to Vermont from Florida in the Virginia 95 degree heat. Ended up leaving the coach at the truck repair shop for 6 weeks to replace the airbags and the speed sensor in the Allison transmission. Once the airbag was replaced the transmission would not shift due to metal shavings. Luckily I was towing my F150 to get us where we were going. 👍😎
moconno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2022, 06:37 AM   #102

I replaced the airbags on my 22 year old Discovery as a preventive measure. The bags were holding air but looked very weathered with heavy checking.

I wanted peace of mind that I would not blow a bag on the highway. Had a local shop do the work.
VolDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2022, 10:22 AM   #103

Had 1 start leaking on a drive axle around the top edge. Could have made this 3500 mile trip but changed all 4 on that axle. Have a 10 bag system and will change the rest after this trip. They are all starting to show some cracking on the outer layer.
kenwyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2022, 05:57 AM   #104

I got a hole in one on a trip this year. 2014 w/25,000mi
Freightliner replaced it for almost $1000 in Austin, TX. It looked work and old and did not seem to be damaged, so I attributed it to age and type of use. This was day 10 of a 105 day trip. We lucked out and found a dealer who got us in the next day. I changed the other three myself for around $900 and kept an old front/rear for spares.
Overkill...maybe, but in these times just getting the airbag is a challenge, and then finding someone to replace it in a timely fashion is another challenge. We are planning some length trips and it seemed a good investment and piece of mind.
Old 09-18-2022, 07:56 AM   #105

Tiffin Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete5016 View Post
I have a 2008 Tiffin Allegro Bus with a Tag Axle. I don't want to have an Airbag give out on me while on the road (which would be significant trip interupter).

So, Tiffin says that life span of an Air Bag is 12-17 years. So, do you age out Air Bags (like you do with Tires), or do you keep an eye and replace them as you see cracks or wear on them?

Anyone else with a Rig around my Age...what are you doing? THANKS!
Just an update from the OP - I have replaced all 6 Air Bags on my 2008 Tiffin. I ended up paying about $400/bag. The shop cost to replace was very minor. These are easy to replace with the right equipment (not something I would do on my driveway).

I didn't have any issues with the original set, I just replaced them as routine maintenance and hoping I should be good for the next 10+ years.
pete5016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2022, 09:26 AM   #106

I'm an Over the road truck driver. Last year I changed out the 8 bags on my 05 Kenworth that I purchased new. I do deflat the bags occasionally when I drop and hook trailers. The only reason I changed them out was because I thought it was time. After the installing the new bags I ran about 1500 miles and blew out a bag. Wish I hadn't messed with them. They don't make them like they used to. I would carry a replacementwith me.
DKenworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2022, 07:56 AM   #107

Torque airbags

I bought 4 torque9026 for my pete airbags from aftermarket usa.. they have since sent me 4 to replace because they are faulty. Have sent aftermarket USA and torque USA pictures of thier trashy bags and neither will refund my money. Went back to Firestone no problems there. So be aware of torque air bags and aftermarket USA they sale them cheap and know I know why there defective!!!!
Scot11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2022, 08:59 AM   #108

One to two months ago
Old 10-11-2022, 09:03 AM   #109

The bottom plastic support has a flaw in them it has an indent that rubs a hole in the bags one of them actually cracked and split the bag
Old 10-19-2022, 04:52 PM   #110

Newmar Owners Club
air bags for 1998 newmar dutchstar

anyone change out bags trying to get part numbers
Capture1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2022, 04:54 PM   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capture1 View Post
anyone change out bags trying to get part numbers

What chassis???
Old 10-19-2022, 06:39 PM   #112

My air springs (air bags fit inside a coil spring) still appear like new. I had them inspected by a Freightliner shop that is also a Spartan authorized service center. I was told 3 years ago not to be concerned, they are in great shape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scot11 View Post
The bottom plastic support has a flaw in them it has an indent that rubs a hole in the bags one of them actually cracked and split the bag
I understand that flaw has been rectified, now they have a metal support plate instead of plastic.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ags, air