Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-18-2022, 07:11 AM   #113

I have a 2002 Tiffin Bus and I replaced my air bags last year.

I was concerned due to cracks in all the air bags. That and they were almost 20 years old. Everything wears out.

Did mine myself, was challenging but doable.
deryckj is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-18-2022, 07:28 AM   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
My air springs (air bags fit inside a coil spring) still appear like new. I had them inspected by a Freightliner shop that is also a Spartan authorized service center. I was told 3 years ago not to be concerned, they are in great shape.

I understand that flaw has been rectified, now they have a metal support plate instead of plastic.

According to Spartan that problem was fixed back before my 2007 which came with plastic . I changed mine last year which still have plastic and no metal plates.
Old 11-20-2022, 06:34 AM   #115

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRA225 View Post
1992 American- original Air Bags- Minor Checking on the surface- No leaks @ 238 K Miles- Why are there so many Air Bag changes on here ?
I changed mine at 104,000 miles, the chassis is a 1992. They had a lot of checking and a lot of cord hanging out, it was also beginning to fail. Once that happens there's not much left of an air spring.

I couldn't see running them to failure then paying a mechanic to learn the nuances of a Gillig chassis. This is my first one and I've learned a lot. Mainly it reminds me there's a world of difference between truck chassis builders who design for ease of maintenance and transit bus chassis builders who design to satisfy government regulations.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Air bag sliced open11 copy.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	595.5 KB
ID:	381242   Click image for larger version

Name:	Worn1.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	634.4 KB
ID:	381243  

Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags