Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-02-2013, 12:19 PM   #15

Ford Super Duty Owner
If you decide on a chevy. chassis, I would try to find a 1996 chassis or later. The earlier models had throttle body injection. EFI gives more power and better efficiency. The Ford V10 has proven to be a very good engine also.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-02-2013, 02:01 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
We purchased a super clean 1995 Itasca Suncruiser with only 36,000 miles on it from a dealer. Don't get discouraged about dealer prices. They were asking 21,000 for ours and got them down to 13,000 and they did about 5,000 in repairs as part of the deal. (Lots of little stuff like bulbs & small repairs, replaced all batteries, and both exhaust manifolds)
That ought to show you how much they mark these up. Push them hard on your price but keep in mind that the time of year makes a difference. Peak season they are not going to deal much.

I personally prefer Chevy. Last MoHo was a small class C (20' Fleetwood, Ford E350 with the EFI 460) we struggled to get 9mpg.

With our 30' Class A with the EFI 454 we average 9mpg in hilly terrain.

Winnebago / Itasca quality is very good in our 1995 and do not regret our older Winnebago purchase.
Old 02-02-2013, 02:14 PM   #17

Thor Owners Club
Purchesed older motor home and love it.

We purchased a 1995 Thor Manor 30ft in May of this year. Ended up paying $12,000 for it (in Canada where EVERYTHING is more expensive) and we love it. The quality of the workmanship is very good, and the previous owners did a lot of upgrades over the years including solar panels, extra house batteries, new awning, max-air vents, etc. etc.

As previous posters have stated, it all depends on the previous owner and how well they maintained the unit.

We love ours and have been using it continuously since the end of September as we are snowbirds.

What ever you choose, I am sure you will enjoy using it.
Old 02-02-2013, 03:00 PM   #18

Ford Super Duty Owner
Another vote for the quality of Rexhall. Ford V10 seems to be working great for me too!
Old 02-02-2013, 03:13 PM   #19

Define older. Are you wedded to front engine gas? There ARE older (I'm talking mid 80s and on) diesel pushers out there that are selling for under 10 and a lot more slightly newer/larger for the mid teens. These are higher quality coaches with more features and MUCH nicer cabinet work. If it's current, there's a mid 80s Beaver in Amarillo listed for 5! though I have no clue what shape it's in. There is an '89 Beaver Marquis 40' wide body at a DEALER in Little Rock and they are ASKING mid teens. I talked with the guy and got a strong impression that he was anxious to deal. We intend to full time and can't quite get past the "stepups" around the bed and the smaller basement compartments, or I'd not be mentioning it! It's sure a lot more coach than most of the smaller gassers I've seen.
As to build quality/brands: Beaver, Country Coach, Foretravel, Hawkins Motor Coach (a bit rare but OUTSTANDING), Monaco, Safari (if you're not put off by the suspention or go with smaller spring chassis). A few of these used Detroit Diesel 2 stroke engines which I personally wouldn't have, though I'm sure they have their fans, and I belive they all made front gas as well though I'm not as familiar with them as I'm sold on diesel for anything as heavy as a motorhome of any size. Look for a fiberglass roof if you can swing it.
ROADOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 03:18 PM   #20

Country coach in 1989 area are in that range, will need little things for age, but you are looking at that age anyway, so the gassers are built for lighter weight, so thin materials, CC built same as stick house, REAL WOOD...

Got ours for 5k, another party got same model a couple months older for 10k, they are out there.
Old 02-02-2013, 03:33 PM   #21

Vintage RV Owners Club
I will throw in a new name-Rockwood. Ours is a 87 (32') and it has nice solid wood cabinets, carpet runners on top of the carpet, name brand appliances. Lights everywhere, circle florescence down the middle, spot light every place you can sit and indirect at every window. Gen, A/C,gas stove,microwave/convection oven, all for 2K! Did have to put on new tires. I know that in 89 they had a diesel pusher as well as the gas/chevy drive train. Plus as it is a "antique" it is very cheap to register at the DMV.....
87Rockwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 06:12 PM   #22

Kinda off topic here but not by much. Whatever you buy be sure to check the date codes on the tires. If you look at say a 1999 model with 10,000 miles and good tread and no cracks on the tires, chances are they're the original tires and have been sitting most of those years.

I'm just sayin

Jim
Jcarlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 06:23 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Thor Owners Club
We agreed to pay with a cashier's check and that it was a gift....no sales tax!
lenkerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 07:44 PM   #24

Fleetwood Owners Club
Buy soon

Nows the time to get a good deal! Purchased mine abt 3 months ago. 1998 Fleetwood Pace Arrow TagAxel, one slide, Ford engine, dual air, Large heater, good tires, good condition etc. Bought from dealer as he needed to clear out inventory. Was a cash buyer and he was more than willing to negociate at that time of year. After checking out and driving I left with a $10,000 reduced price of $12,500. They are out there. You just have to look hard and know what you want. I bought exactly what I was looking and at a price I wanted to pay. People told me I was dreaming. Good luck finding what you want. I didn't want anything but a Fleetwood Pace Arrow. It is a great coach. Just my $.02
Old 02-03-2013, 06:11 AM   #25

Your posted experience gives me hope that there is one out there, I just have to find it. From what I have looked at within a 75 mile radius leads me to believe I will have to venture further to find it.
I know some of the older high class one are nice but usually bigger and would like to stay with 30-34 feet and no diesel--fuel costs more and better mileage doesn't off set that and maintenance is a lot more. We are running two boats with good, old solid 3208s but still expensive. Previous boats had Yanmars---$$$$. The cummins engine is the best, IMHO, but still ??. Also no slides needed so that will help on initial cost. Thanks for your input.
fighterpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:13 AM   #26

Avoid flat roofs.

I had a 92 Fleetwood product with a flat roof and fought roof leaks the entire time I owned it.
vtwinwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:11 AM   #27

Been thinking about diesel versu gas after one of the earlier posts brought it up. Diesel is about 30-40 cents more per gallon here in the panhandle. Don't know about other areas, but doubt that the increased mileage would offset that difference. However it would be nice to have the noise in the aft end instead of under your feet. Not sure how the maintenance costs would work out-probably depend upon how good a diesel you got in the first place. Initial repairs would probably be more but over the long haul might be ok.
fighterpilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
quality