Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-16-2013, 08:14 PM   #1

Older MH construction quality

Still searching. Trying to get the best value at the $10,000 plus or minus level. Searching RV trader with a $15,000 limit, Class A, want the rear bed, dinette, and jackknife sofa, I find quite a few available. Does the mfg., name brand, or model indicate any thing regarding build quality or the potential to be a decent coach not withstanding its age? Years in view are 1992 to 1999s. Names:
Coachman
Damon
Fleetwood
Fleetwood Bounder
Gulf Stream
Holiday Rambler
Thor
Winnebago

Is there any advantage to Ford power versus Chevy power in this set of coaches, or is that question a can of worms? Most are Chevy but I note a few Fords.

I have looked at about 10 in the local area so far and delamination is the big issue before I even consider other features such as chassis or engine.

Trying to get an idea of whose coach had a good reputation in the above mentioned years. Thanks
fighterpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-16-2013, 10:08 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Had 3 gas class A's. 93 Bounder, 97 Pace arrow vision and now a 03 Winne. Before that 2 class B but cant remember the year. I did not have any problems with any of them
I liked all three A's and would have kept the Pace if it had had slides. At that age just inspect close. if it is well kept, good exterior and no signs of abuse it probably means the drive was maintained also. Do the usual. compress test, fluid checks (burnt trans), oil it tail pipe, steering wander, tires ($175 a pop) and if possible for year and miles get an ext warranty for a year. I did that with the Winne just for 1 year. Cost $ but gave me peace of mind for the year. Still could break after a year but just seemed to me the odds were better in my favor. ford vs chev power seems to depend on the year. I went chev because one of the Class b's had a ford and it was a dog but all my cars and light trucks are Ford...go figure.
Good hunting
Fletcher0077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:33 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We had a '98 Santara, the cabinet fronts seemed to have been made of vinyl wrapped cardboard. Got rid of it before it fell apart more than it already had!.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:37 PM   #4

I'm also interested in this....
oneeyedmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:47 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Some brands are better built or designed than others - I would probably be favoring the Holiday Ramblers or the higher end Fleetwood models (Pace, Southwind) and Winnebago/Itascas in that group. But when buying an older RV, in my view the condition and signs that the previous owner maintained it well would trump most any other consideration.

Chevy vs Ford would be down near the bottom of my list of concerns.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:56 AM   #6

Gary, agree about Ford versus Chevy being down on the list. Particularly since I am looking at older models. I note the "higher end fleetwood models" reference. What all do they make? Assume Pace and Southwind are two of their products, but what are the others? Thanks.
Old 01-17-2013, 12:06 PM   #7

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by fighterpilot View Post
Still searching. Trying to get the best value at the $10,000 plus or minus level. Searching RV trader with a $15,000 limit, Class A, want the rear bed, dinette, and jackknife sofa, I find quite a few available. Does the mfg., name brand, or model indicate any thing regarding build quality or the potential to be a decent coach not withstanding its age? Years in view are 1992 to 1999s. Names:
Coachman
Damon
Fleetwood
Fleetwood Bounder
Gulf Stream
Holiday Rambler
Thor
Winnebago

Is there any advantage to Ford power versus Chevy power in this set of coaches, or is that question a can of worms? Most are Chevy but I note a few Fords.

I have looked at about 10 in the local area so far and delamination is the big issue before I even consider other features such as chassis or engine.

Trying to get an idea of whose coach had a good reputation in the above mentioned years. Thanks
I moved from a Class C to a Class A this past year. Chose what I could afford which was a 2000 Holiday Rambler Endeavor...Gas...v -10...2 slides...and plenty of room at 36 ft. Paid $26,500 for it. From what I found the aluminum frame construction was by far a reason I bought it...strong strong unit. Beautiful inside and out...found a bunch in your price range without slides in 15K range...1998-1999 Holiday Ramblers..

JMO
Old 01-17-2013, 07:23 PM   #8

Older MH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacknchrome View Post
I moved from a Class C to a Class A this past year. Chose what I could afford which was a 2000 Holiday Rambler Endeavor...Gas...v -10...2 slides...and plenty of room at 36 ft. Paid $26,500 for it. From what I found the aluminum frame construction was by far a reason I bought it...strong strong unit. Beautiful inside and out...found a bunch in your price range without slides in 15K range...1998-1999 Holiday Ramblers..

JMO
Should I assume the 1998-1999 HR in the the 28-32 range be the same quality/type of constructions as your 2000 36 foot, as you suggest?

Also will they have the V-10? Will the roof construction be the same? Thanks
Old 01-17-2013, 07:51 PM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
I love my 1999 Rexhall. Paid $23,500. Steel frame construction, Ford V-10, Fiberglass roof, 2-slides. Coachman's I looked at seemed not to be built as well.
sCarycary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:58 PM   #10

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by fighterpilot View Post
Should I assume the 1998-1999 HR in the the 28-32 range be the same quality/type of constructions as your 2000 36 foot, as you suggest?

Also will they have the V-10? Will the roof construction be the same? Thanks
most of the ones in 98 and 99 had the same construction...but you have a 15 k limit so you will not get a slide or 2 like mine...yes on the V10...stay away from the v8
Old 01-17-2013, 08:13 PM   #11

We purchased a 1989 Foretravel 36' Grand Villa three years ago for under $20,000 that had new custom paint, less than 63,000 miles on a diesel engine, new refrig, new Microwave, two new LCD TVs, six new tires, filtered drinking water, instant hot water, Icemaker, built-in whole house vacuum, 8.6 MPG towing a Tracker into 30 MPH winds and love the rig.
Check out the Foretravel line and you might be pleasantly surprised to find there are a number of the early 90s priced reasonably in the teens and very well cared for. Well worth a look, considering the quality of workmanship and materials.
NITEHAWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:52 PM   #12

I am remiss for not giving you more insight into the use for the motorhome. Sorry about that and this that follows should correct that.

I'll look into the Foretravels. Don't want a slide. Something else to break or leak. Not going to live in it or spend more than a few days at a time in it. Traveling comfort more important and slides sometimes reduces the move about room in the coach. Travel to visit numerous places with the grandkids, some deer hunting trips, and a place to stay during the hurricanes. Nice to have to go to football game with a group and use to travel to visit relatives or see special events as well.

In years past I have had 4 class A type MH. Started with 1974 Winne, than had a couple of Travcos, and last was a Winne Elandan. Used them to travel with family and friends etc. Made one trip from Fl. to Durango to ride the train with Daughter, son-in-law, and grand kids and made a few stops on the way back of interest. Made numerous trips to Pa. from Fl to visit relatives etc. Got out of the RVs about about 15 years ago but now my Dau. and son-in-law want to get back into it since they remember the good times we had years ago with the family. Now family has grown to three grandsons living here and 8 great-grandchildren-from 2 months to 12 years old so numerous opportunities for travel lay ahead and a MH is the way to go. Thanks for the insight into your experience. The searching pictures becomes more defined as I read all of your great posts.
Old 02-02-2013, 11:47 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Thor Owners Club
we purchased a 2000 Holiday Rambler in Feb, 2012. It has no slides. It cost $23000 from a classified ad. It had only 18000 miles on it. The interior was in excellent shape. We had it thoroughly inspected and everything was fine. We did replace the tires. Headed across country on our first trip and had it checked out in California...headed back to PA and everything checked out. We emptied our house and put it on the market and now are living full time in our unit. We are currently enjoying sunny Florida.
lenkerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 12:03 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenkerb View Post
we purchased a 2000 Holiday Rambler in Feb, 2012. It has no slides. It cost $23000 from a classified ad. It had only 18000 miles on it. The interior was in excellent shape. We had it thoroughly inspected and everything was fine. We did replace the tires. Headed across country on our first trip and had it checked out in California...headed back to PA and everything checked out. We emptied our house and put it on the market and now are living full time in our unit. We are currently enjoying sunny Florida.

Good for you !! .... those are the stories I like to hear !!
bruceisla is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
quality