RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-20-2020, 12:52 PM   #1

Older Newell Information

I just found a 95 newell that i am going to look at, but although ive seen these units I cant find out much about them. I know its a detroit/ allison but other than that cant find what it should have for its age, things to look out for etc. Any help out there?
hlagooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2020, 05:02 PM   #2

Newell uses cutting edge electronics in their coaches. They are sometimes ahead of the rest of the industry. The problem comes when if what they used was proprietary to them and becomes outdated. What was cutting edge in 1995 is outdated now and might be difficult to repair or replace. Other less sophisticated coaches of that time used more common over the counter components and much easier and cheaper to repair. My son has an '18 Newell and it is back to the factory each year for something they needs to be taken care of there. It's usually on a return trip from somewhere, but can be a pain.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 05:03 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlagooty View Post
I just found a 95 newell that i am going to look at, but although ive seen these units I cant find out much about them. I know its a detroit/ allison but other than that cant find what it should have for its age, things to look out for etc. Any help out there?
I had a 95 Newell, it was a changeover year so you will probably have a Series 60 Detroit, but you could have either the 4 speed or 6 speed allison. Great coach, built to higher specs than most motorhomes on the road. Best check batteries, tires and all the other things you would check on a 25 year coach. Mine was overloaded on the front axle with 295's, 305's solved the problem. It will help to mechanically inclined, because Newells typically have more complicated systems than a normal motorhome.
Old 09-20-2020, 07:04 PM   #4

I would take the 1995 Newell over just about any coach built after 2004 every day of the week 365.
Built better than most any other MH.
But then again I like old and better built than new flashy stuff.
pogoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 08:58 PM   #5

No cutting edge electronics in a 95 Newell, same technology as other coaches of that era, just built with better components and to a higher standard. e.g. the aqua-hot is just like other high end coaches, but instead of just a single 1500 watt heating element, it also has a 240 volt 4500 watt element. Instead of 1/2 or 3/4 inch plywood, they use 1 inch plywood.
The Series 60 is one of the most reliable diesels made, and a favorite of OTR truckers.
Old 09-21-2020, 05:41 AM   #6

older Newell information

Thanks for the responses so far. Now I have a follow up question or two. where is the Newell forum and if there isnt one why not? 2nd. Value. This unit has been sitting and I already know somethings it needs, IE all tires, like right now! it is 45 ft with no slide 140k miles 60 series detroit. If I can purchase it for 50K spend 4800.00 for tires right off the bat, fix dash a/c and do a full service. After all that if I really dont like it can i recoup what i have in it? Im not talking about my labor just hard parts and tires. Id rather have a 38 to 40, and the slide isnt that important to me but how will this affect resale? I admit the 45 ft is appealing in ways but Im not going to full time and will boondock at times. please give me your thoughts
Old 09-21-2020, 05:43 AM   #7

How can I collect information on what was standard on this model? I cant find brochures or specs
Old 09-21-2020, 05:48 AM   #8

Quote:
How can I collect information on what was standard on this model? I cant find brochures or specs
Newell probably has all the detailed info you need if you provide them with the coach ID info .
Old 09-21-2020, 05:52 AM   #9

Contact Newell direct in Miami, Oklahoma. Good folks. I'll bet they will still have the build specs on that coach.

Ray

Address: 3900 N Main St, Miami, OK 74354

Hours: Monday 8AM–5PM Tuesday 8AM–5PM Wednesday 8AM–5PM Thursday 8AM–5PM Friday 8AM–5PM Saturday Closed Sunday Closed

Phone: (918) 542-3344
texasrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 05:59 AM   #10

Quote:
Newell probably has all the detailed info you need if you provide them with the coach ID info .
Old 09-21-2020, 06:49 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Join the "Newell Gurus" the Moderator on there is a BIG wealth of knowledge on Newell's. I could not believe his knowledge and answers to my questions when looking at Newell's! He knew the complete history of each Coach I asked him about!!!!
[Mod Edit]
Old 09-21-2020, 10:08 AM   #12

Quote:
Except for 1 or 2 show coaches a year, every Newell is custom made for its buyer. You go to the Newell Shop in Miami Ok. and pick out the colors, floorplan, appliances, options etc., then 6 months to a year later you pick up your coach. So no standard brochures or spec. Great for dry camping, don't know about boondocking in the desert, 45 ft with less than a foot ground clearance. Big fresh, gray/black and fuel tanks, so you can stay out a while. As mentioned go to the Newell forum, someone on there might give you more info.