RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-27-2019, 04:20 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Older "quality" rig or young "good" rig

We currently have a 10+ Year old Monaco (it's never, ever older than ten ) We love it, but it just doesn't have all the things we'd like in a coach. We've been slowly looking at "younger" rigs. Most have fabulous, low miles, some are fancy "higher-end" units, some are very nice, well maintained "good" units. Obviously, the higher end units cost much more, and are much older (according to our price point) We can get a younger, good coach for the same price. So what to do... Go young or go old and fancy?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-27-2019, 04:29 PM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Old & fancy!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 05:21 PM   #3

American Coach Owners Club
We have a 2008 American Eagle. Buy an older luxury coach. The woodwork and craftsmanship can't be found in newer units for any reasonable cost.
AE Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 05:41 PM   #4

I asked my wife and she said she would like to go younger and richer.
Delaware beaches ----- DW & Kip the Wonder Dog
Sandy Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 06:05 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Of course the the people with the old coaches are telling you "that's the best" ... its because thats what they have.

I owned a 2008 DP and it was the worst POS that was constantly broken, we traded it in for a new coach while on the road, and I have bought new ever since... including this year. When we purchased it used, it was obvious to us a short time later that it was someone else's problem that they were getting rid of.... trust me you don't want that!

What about some of those that keep buying new coaches every few years... I know there is someone on here that seems to trade their multi-hundred-thousand Entegra's every 2-3 years.

Im in the "new is better" group. I love all the newest tech stuff and newest features.

Quality is subjective nowadays. You can find several complaints about Thor and Forrest River but just do a search and you will find problems with EVERY brand including mine. I see posts about new 2019 Tiffin's and Newmar's having problems too, and they are usually listed as "the best.". It's kind of "luck of the draw," I figure every new coach will have one medium problem and several small ones no matter what brand or price. Do you really think there won't be a shakedown list of repair items on that new $1.2 million dollar Foretravel? REALLY??? Probably 1-50 will have a major problems and maybe it's more common with the lower quality brands. This is probably the exact same ratio of defects on the coaches from 15 years ago. Don't forget those same company's were trying to make a profit and cutting costs 15-20 years ago just like the modern ones today.

Last point to think about is, notice how much you in advance you have to book sites in popular areas now. It's because it seems like millions of RV's have been added in the last several years. Those aren't old units being passed around, those are NEW unit sales.

So my point is if you go with the older coach you WILL have old coach problems.
But if you go with a newer coach you WILL still have some of the problems but at least you will have the modern features that make the RV experience better.

Good luck with whatever choice you make.
We RV'd ALL of the lower 48 states and into Canada
AZ RV'r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 06:32 PM   #6
WiFiRanger Ambassador

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ RV'r View Post
.... at least you will have the modern features that make the RV experience better.
Our almost 9 year full-timing experience consists of experiences gained from our more than 65,000 miles of touring around North America. I can't for the life of me think of any "modern features" we are lacking in our nearly 20 year old MH that would have made those experiences any better or more memorable! IMO the magic of RVing is in where you go, not how you got there!

Let's see...
Residential fridge--
Multiple HDTVs with DirecTV Genie and Rokus--
Ekornes Stressless real leather seating--
New Deluxe Flexsteel Captains Chairs with full power and Ultraleather--
"Whole house" 2.8kW PSW inverter--
Winegard Trav'ler automatic DirecTV antenna
Real wood (walnut) cabinets made by Beaver--
Corian counters--
Splendide washer/dryer combo--
LED lighting throughout--
Hydronic heating system--
12 liter CAT diesel with 425HP and 1550 ft-lbs torque--

Let me know what we lack; I'd hate to feel as we've been missing out on something important!
docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 06:33 PM   #7

Sorry, going quality and old here too.

We bought a 2007 WRV Alpine Coach and the craftsmanship on this rig is incredible. After talking to some dealers and repair centers they said they are very nice to work on. For example the Hydro-Hot unit is not buried inside a deep well, the diesel gen slides out all the way and you can literally walk right to it. The engine compartment is accessible from the back and the filter change is super simple.

Plus it's before all the emissions stuff was added to the new diesels, so less of a hassle that way and fewer things that can go wrong. And it's not like we drive our rig 20k miles a year like a car, so not having a bad conscience from pollution.

And totally agree with docj. You can add modern amenities, like the HDTV's and LED lighting simply enough that you don't feel like you are left out of current comforts. My AV stuff is all updated and current with smart TV's, a WIFI/Wireless router, even a NAS.
swsarmyknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 07:00 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by docj View Post
Our almost 9 year full-timing experience consists of experiences gained from our more than 65,000 miles of touring around North America. I can't for the life of me think of any "modern features" we are lacking in our nearly 20 year old MH that would have made those experiences any better or more memorable! IMO the magic of RVing is in where you go, not how you got there!

Let's see...
Residential fridge--
Multiple HDTVs--
Ekornes Stressless real leather seating--
"Whole house" PSW inverter--
Winegard Trav'ler automatic DirecTV antenna
Real wood (walnut) cabinets made by Beaver--
Corian counters--
LED lighting throughout--
Hydronic heating system--
12 liter CAT diesel with 425HP and 1550 ft-lbs torque--

Let me know what we lack; I'd hate to feel as we've been missing out on something important!

Thats great!!!!!!

Minus the engine and cabinets which of those came from the factory?

All of those that were added cost additional money.... on top of what you paid for the coach.

The new ones have those and more from the get go.

So let me ask why did you go to a residential fridge? Why not stay with the 20 year old original one? Is it because it's OLD, and the modern one is better?
How about the LED's, why not stay with the OLD style bulbs? Again because the new led's are better brighter and use less energy?
Old big tube TV's that came with your coach new? why change to a lightweight, flat, 4k LED?

You're never going to rip down all your walls and install all new wiring or insulation. You are stuck with what you got, your coaches bones are 20 years old no matter how much you change inside. Thats not necessarily a bad thing it just depends on what you started with and how its been maintained.

Im happy that you have maintained and updated you coach but unfortunately you are making my point for me... why not start with all that instead of buying older and spending money to change everything. It reminds me of those younger kids who buy a car for 5k and put 5k into it to make it "better" If they would have just taken the 10k they would have had a better car to begin with, not something at end isn't worth the 10k they spent.
Old 05-27-2019, 07:31 PM   #9

Buy what you can best afford. Just my opinion but I would go new if I could.. only you can say if you can live with the high cost of depreciation.

Enjoy the journey
Old 05-27-2019, 07:31 PM   #10
WiFiRanger Ambassador

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ RV'r View Post
I'm happy that you have maintained and updated you coach but unfortunately you are making my point for me... why not start with all that instead of buying older and spending money to change everything.
Quite simply, our Beaver had an MSRP of ~$350K in 2000. In today's dollars that translates into ~$515K. To get all of the features we have in our MH including the big diesel we'd easily have to be in a class of coach with an MSRP in the $600-750K range. I can tell you that even with everything we've put in our MH plus every dime we've paid for maintenance and repair, we're haven't even invested one third of that! To me, that's the real reason we bought used, completely irrespective of whether the older MH was or was not better built.

OTOH I don't care how "new" a MH is, I surely wouldn't want to "buy down" and lose some of the features we have at present. Sure, I could have bought a brand new gas MH for what we've put into our elderly DP, but that would be like comparing apples to oranges.

IMO this is one of those endless discussion topics that doesn't have a right or wrong answer. You've clearly made up your mind and I'm surely not going to change it with anything I say. As a result, I don't plan on belaboring the thread with further discussion.
docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 07:47 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by docj View Post
Quite simply, our Beaver had an MSRP of ~$350K in 2000. In today's dollars that translates into ~$515K. To get all of the features we have in our MH including the big diesel we'd easily have to be in a class of coach with an MSRP in the $600-750K range.
I hope I haven't offended with any of my comments, that was not my intention.

This is just one of those... agree to disagree situations.

Even though it wouldn't seem like it with what I have written above, in many instances I would agree with you. I would definitely take this 2000 Newell for $99k before I would take some $99k poorly made new model.

http://premiumcoachgroup.com/product...-double-slide/

I guess the difference is not all newer units are bad... I love mine but passed on many others. There are definitely differing levels of quality from any year including new.

Somebody above said it best... "buy what you can afford." and what makes YOU happy... not me.
Old 05-27-2019, 08:09 PM   #12

I didn’t hear the question as “new or used?”. I heard it as “quality vs youth at the same price point?”. Big difference.

I’d go older, higher-end.
RiverBurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 08:55 PM   #13

Nothing wrong with old and quality, my 02 still gets the looks when pulling into RV parks, it is all in how you maintain them.
Outbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 08:57 PM   #14

Our first DP was a 2014 Coachmen CrossCountry 404RB purchased used in 2016. We really liked it but ended up buying a 2005 Travel Supreme 45DS14 with 73,000 miles on it as a replacement.

It’s not an apples to apples comparison, but we think we have a much better coach for almost the same money.

All the “modern” stuff can be added/changed for a few bucks.
dwertz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
quality