Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-07-2016, 08:18 PM   #1

Older tires

Have a 1992 class A tires were in excellent shape when I purchased unit, did not know age would effect life of tires, took it to a tire shop had tires checked service person said good to go even if 10 years old had over 90% tread left no cracks.blew xmission coming up hill. had to have it towed while towing blew rear tire several hundred dollars damage still fixing wheel well now installing new tires .expensive lesson.
ken18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-07-2016, 08:25 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Ken

Sorry to hear about your tire problem. I'd have a bone to pick with the tire shop. It's turned into an expensive lesson, but it could have been worse (having a tire failure while driving)
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 09:22 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Did the tire shop actually take the tire off the rim to inspect. That's really the only way to see the condition of the tires.

I was in a similar dilemma when we bought our coach. Not knowing the history is the biggest issue. Running a tire on low PSI will damage it faster then anything. I changed the front tires ASAP as they had a bad wear pattern, I had an alignment done first. I inspected the tires after they were removed, the insides looked good. I waited to change the rears. They were 10 year old when I replace, I inspected each tire as they were removed and they all looked good, no internal issues at all and still had plenty of tread.

FWIW, I have a long history of dealing with tires. Worked in the mining industry for +30 years and our tire budgets were huge. I demanded that the venders conduct tire inspections and provide recommendations on care and maintenance to include rotation for size. Not an expert but I know what to look for and how to care and maintain tires.

I run a TPMS on my tires and the coach doesn't move until I've checked tire pressures. I also have an infrared heat gun that I use while on the road checking temps on tires and wheel hubs. Looking for anything out of the ordinary.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 02:43 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
You don't say what type of MH you have but...Depending on how it was towed, there might have been too much weight shifted to the rear of the coach causing the failure...or maybe not! Best lessons are the ones that cost you money (cause it stays with you longer) and especially ones that don't cause someone to get hurt.
gemert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 07:47 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Few tire shops know much about tire aging. 99% of their customers wear out tires long before age is a factor, so they lack experience. Nor do they have much in the way of formal training on that sort of thing.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 07:57 AM   #6

Agree--I have found over the years that many so called "tire Techs" dont even know about the DOT born on date, and if they did, they dont want you to know about it...
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 06:02 PM   #7

I'd rather trust the anecdotal evidence about tires I've read on RV forums than anything a tire shop rep says. Class As, 5-6 years on tires; trailers, maybe 3 years.
ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 06:16 PM   #8

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphie View Post
I'd rather trust the anecdotal evidence about tires I've read on RV forums than anything a tire shop rep says. Class As, 5-6 years on tires; trailers, maybe 3 years.
Ralphie is correct- 5 to 6 yrs throw them away. On my Race Trailer mostly the same at many TT's - every 2 yrs I change them out - but that's just me . I don't have Blowouts . I can't tell you how many times I've pulled over to assist a TT with blowouts and the tires look used up, under inflated -ect. Maybe there should be warning labels posted inside their doors.
NHRA225 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires