Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-30-2016, 02:00 PM   #1

On Side of Road- engine light on

Engine light came on & engine quit: '06 fleetwood P-A, WH W22 chassis. Batteries read OK & engine wasn't getting too hot. About to call Roadside assistance if can't restart.
Likely causes?

Ron
vagaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-30-2016, 02:02 PM   #2

If anything I can do, call 831-521-3828.
Old 10-30-2016, 02:06 PM   #3

Actually engine starts but rough running, not much response to gas pedal.
Old 10-30-2016, 02:07 PM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
How long was it from when the light came on and the engine shutting off? Did the engine sputter first then shut off or just shut off all at one time, with no performance warning. What engine?

Quote:
Actually engine starts but rough running, not much response to gas pedal.
Sounds like a fuel problem, bad tank of fuel, vacuum leak, dirty fuel filter. Is the fuel tank full or near empty? Last fill up? Possibly leaking fuel line. 10-11 year old RV would be time where a metal fuel line could get a pin hole.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 02:13 PM   #5
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
How long a go did you get fuel?
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 03:41 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
I had a similar issue in a suburban while towing. It turned out to be the coil. It just quit and would only crank and crank. I pull a spark plug wire off and had no spark to ground. Could be worth checking.
Mason Dixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 04:05 PM   #7

Tried again. It idles ok at 1 rpm but even if I floor the accelerator it only goes to about 1100. Also, can't start the generator. 1st try after priming it cranked but no start. Now doesn't crank. Hard to listen for it on side of freeway. So, fuel or maybe electric, I guess.
Old 10-30-2016, 04:05 PM   #8

That was 1000 rpm idle. :-)
Old 10-30-2016, 04:25 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
I feel your pain

I had a similar occurrence recently with my 07 Tiffin Allegro 30DA with a Vortec 8.1 liter V8. It turned out to be the chassis battery. There is no throttle cable, it's electrically operated. So when the battery died, so did throttle response above idle speed. When I pulled the battery out I found out it was the original battery from 07! That's what I call longevity!
tedjr55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 06:02 PM   #10

Is it raining?
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 07:31 PM   #11

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Does the genny not starting (cranking) mean something. When the fuel tank is under 1/4 doesn't that sends a message for the genny not to operate? Could low voltage on the chassis batteries #1 not let the genny start, #2 cause the engine to run crappy. Age of batteries or poor output from the alternator.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 07:39 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedjr55 View Post
I had a similar occurrence recently with my 07 Tiffin Allegro 30DA with a Vortec 8.1 liter V8. It turned out to be the chassis battery. There is no throttle cable, it's electrically operated. So when the battery died, so did throttle response above idle speed. When I pulled the battery out I found out it was the original battery from 07! That's what I call longevity!
If it's the 8.1, then you betcha. A bad battery/low voltage situation can cause this kind of problem. A couple of times i tried starting where the starter just dragged. After that, i hit the emergency start switch to try cranking again but at that point, i guess i had already set the code on the engine. I believe "reduced engine power" is what came up on the dash. Needless to say, it would idle but i couldn't drive it.

On both these occasions, i had to disconnect the battery to reset, then make sure to have good voltage before trying to crank again.
Old 10-30-2016, 07:47 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superslif View Post
Does the genny not starting (cranking) mean something. When the fuel tank is under 1/4 doesn't that sends a message for the genny not to operate? Could low voltage on the chassis batteries #1 not let the genny start, #2 cause the engine to run crappy. Age of batteries or poor output from the alternator.
The generator will shut down at 1/4 tank because the gas line is short and it runs out of gas.

Most generators start from the house batteries.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 07:51 PM   #14

If you have enough battery capacity to start the engine, it is not to low, to run the engine.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine, light