Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-17-2019, 07:23 PM   #15

You can try to request a crew cab wrecker. If the service your roadside assistance uses does not offer them, maybe put them on standby and call around.

We've broken down twice in our Ford Excursion (in 250,000 miles) with the entire family on board, and a travel trailer in tow. Once only 50 miles from home, so the driver just let us stay in the truck on the flatbed... that was a different experience. The second time we were able to request a crew cab wrecker, so we all (six of us) crammed in there.

We tow a toad now that we have a motorhome. I do consider it a dingy or a life raft. It offers the peace of mind of knowing that I can always send my family to a motel while I work with the wrecker service. We also carry a sat phone. It has gotten us off the side of the road in the mountains once. That's enough for me to make sure it is always onboard.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-17-2019, 07:57 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaynMary View Post
Thanks to all for your replies.
One of the things we love about this motorhome, it's small enough to unhook and go where we want. We haven't needed a car for three years.

I was hoping someone had gone through this and share. I haven't really read about this kind of situation before.

This breakdown was so sudden it has us looking for a plan B. I can't wait to see what the problem is.
Your plan B has to be a rental car and maybe the kindness of strangers to get you someplace safe where you can make arrangements. Maybe a Uber or Lyft to get you to a motel willing to take pets? I think I'd do some planning ahead by finding out what hotel's take pets, how to get ride shares etc. Not taking a toad has some upside, but we take ours all the time for this very reason.
Old 05-18-2019, 04:28 AM   #17

Thanks for the replies.
Our last motorhome was 10 feet longer than this one so we always had a toad. This one has been so great without one.
I was hoping, some where out there, there was a roadside assistance that offered this service. lol
Old 05-18-2019, 04:57 AM   #18

Thor Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
RaynMary, one of the biggest problems with no toad is "break downs" never occur at a good time. Enterprise usually will pick you up when the store is open...not after hours. Cabs and Uber are not always available. Your MH is smaller,but still not small enough to be a scoot around town. I would have to look into some form of additional transportation.

No matter what you do be safe and enjoy each day, they are gifts!
Oldman5145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 05:15 AM   #19

We had our toad break down about 20 miles from our coach in Nashville last May. Here’s what I learned. No pets allowed in a rental car from any rental agency we spoke with. Pets are allowed in the tow truck, but it’s the drivers discretion. Dealer loaners, no pets allowed.

Fortunately, the tow truck driver loved dogs and his truck had a back seat so we all easily fit. It was a difficult and frustrating experience but we are now better prepared on what to expect.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 07:15 AM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Only broke down one time without a toad, the wrecker service that came and towed us to the repair shop, had his boss come out with his Suv and took my wife and MIL and followed us to the shop, as the wrecker had just the single seat, told us about the electric hook up, so we could hook up, in the repair lot! Great service! We have Progressive Ins. No cost to us with the Roadside service! Rail! [emoji266]
Old 05-18-2019, 08:22 AM   #21

In 2001 we were traveling 1000 miles to eastern PA for a graduation. We had our daughter and two grandchildren along. We did not have a toad, because we would not need one once we arrived. We stopped for the night at a nice rest area that had RV hookups along I-80 and backed in for the night. Next morning the Cummins engine would not start. Had to be towed to Toledo for a new injection pump. Fortunately, we convinced a car rental company to come to the rest area to pick up my family so they could continue on. After that, I've made a point of always having a toad with me. I've never needed one for that reason since, but the peace of mind is worth the effort and extra expense.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 08:51 AM   #22

RaynMary,

I know that your question has not really been answered and I don't know the answer either. I've never seen a policy that will protect you as you have mentioned. It doesn't mean that they doesn't exist.

We have always towed a 'dingy' with us. We have traveled from CA to TN many times and not even unhook the toad, but it's there if we need it!

Safe travels,
Mark
Mr.Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 09:47 AM   #23

I know what you all are saying. Best to have a toad in case of situations like this.
It's a pretty specific situation, a ride from the side of the road to a safe place like a motel.

I appreciate all the comments.
Old 05-18-2019, 04:47 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by davie200 View Post
My 2015 home did same thing three weeks ago. Engine quit. They found a piston and connecting rod in oil pan. Still broke said could take up to a month to fix from today. Fighting with ford warranty. I had a toad, thankfully, I was 1700 miles from home. I was on my way to visit family. Thankfully they are putting me up with my two pets till I get this fixed. Big pain. I asked ford trip interruption service what can you do for me to get car, hotel, etc cause it’s their fault. You could hear the blank stare on other end. They gave me a claim number for tow reimbursement. Still waiting for answers as they have to tear engine apart to verify it’s their problem. I have a Georgetown with a V-10. 25000 miles on it and it broke. Good luck on repair. If you need a V-10 I know where you can get one. Their hard to find.
That sure sucks as the V-10 is known as a high mileage engine but it can happen such as you found out. Where can you find a V-10 and why is it hard to find one? I thought there as a company that Ford hires out to to rebuild their V-10's which they sell as crate rebuilds w/Ford warranty.
Old 05-19-2019, 06:31 AM   #25

I called Ford part department and was told that engine was discontinued. The 2015. They now make a different engine? Couldn't get a rebuilt either from them. They gave two numbers that they use for rebuilts. Called them and they said that they don't have any?? So I looked around on the net and found one at Fraser motors. The only one they had for a V-10 2010-2015 year range. I called Ford again to confirm they could not help me out with engine. Sorry we don't have any based on your VIN. With that info I ordered it. Its sitting at the dealer where home is and they are refusing to use it. They have my engine pulled and took pictures of the damage. They said they have ordered new engine. I asked from where. They said they have 9 new engines they can get. What?? I was told there were none. So I have no idea what is going on other than it's a mess. The regional manager is getting a call on Monday.
davie200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 12:12 PM   #26

Country Coach Owners Club
What if your 8 passenger SUV broke down in a remote area?

No different than a toad-less MH with lots of people inside.

Your tow driver probably cannot load 8 passengers into his tow vehicle.

On a highway, the highway patrol might be of assistance.

In the middle of Montana on a secondary road, you will have to wait for a local to pass by.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 01:10 PM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Towing services can only do what the area you are in offers. They don’t have even one tow truck or service vehicle. You are contracting with a service to do the same thing you could do on your own if you had knowledge of the area. They have a map and service / tow companies they may have used or can call otherwise they make the same call you would. I’ve never seen one that includes moving large numbers of people also.
That said I have been commercially towed several times in my company tractor and always ridden in the tow truck. But I didn’t have a family and critters. For a price .. anything can be done I’ve seen hundred mile + cab rides but it costs
Old 05-19-2019, 01:27 PM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by davie200 View Post
I called Ford part department and was told that engine was discontinued. The 2015. They now make a different engine? Couldn't get a rebuilt either from them. They gave two numbers that they use for rebuilts. Called them and they said that they don't have any?? So I looked around on the net and found one at Fraser motors. The only one they had for a V-10 2010-2015 year range. I called Ford again to confirm they could not help me out with engine. Sorry we don't have any based on your VIN. With that info I ordered it. Its sitting at the dealer where home is and they are refusing to use it. They have my engine pulled and took pictures of the damage. They said they have ordered new engine. I asked from where. They said they have 9 new engines they can get. What?? I was told there were none. So I have no idea what is going on other than it's a mess. The regional manager is getting a call on Monday.

What a nightmare! Is the Ford warranty going to cover it or is that still an unknown?
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote