Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-21-2015, 07:09 PM   #1

On the road body repair emergency...help needed

Well, we are on the road an had a strange thing happen.....it could have been a real disaster, but it happened right when we were pulling off the highway. Driving in a strong crosswind and pulled off into a pulloff parking lot and heard a loud grinding noise. I looked in the rearview camera to see a large section of my aft cap up against the toad.

I stopped and got out to see and the rear cap bottom skirt had busted loose! We managed to fit it in the RV and continued on to the nights stop. Looking at it, it appears to just be bonded to the metal framework in the aft end. (2007 Winnebago Journey) THe only screws were some little sheet metal screws at one end the pulled out. I called around and of course being the weekend, all body shops are closed. (We are in Destin FL) However, it seems like it would be a simple repair, remove the frame, clean out the old bond and rebond it. I can put some safety straps in place in case the bond breaks again. I have attached some pictures of the back end, and the original bonds.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1424570893.910752.jpg
Views:	336
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	86690Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1424570922.589144.jpg
Views:	336
Size:	108.5 KB
ID:	86691

My question is, what kind of adhesive do I need to buy? It looks like a big blob of black goop was used originally. Semi hard maybe, but pretty hard. AdviClick image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1424570812.905080.jpg
Views:	339
Size:	114.4 KB
ID:	86689
Spizzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-21-2015, 07:26 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Gorrila glue works great. Just clean the area apply glue mist the glue with water and put it back in place. If you can use a couple of self taping screws to hold in place until cured. Do not remove the old stuff because it is like a shim now. I had to do this repair on my front end and no issues. After the glue cures remove the screws or paint them

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 02-21-2015, 07:28 PM   #3

Send a message via ICQ to Waterview202
I am in destin, there is a camper world west on hey 98 but I dont thinktheycould help you . I would leave it off until I got back home .
Old 02-21-2015, 07:38 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johndale View Post
Gorrila glue works great. Just clean the area apply glue mist the glue with water and put it back in place. If you can use a couple of self taping screws to hold in place until cured. Do not remove the old stuff because it is like a shim now. I had to do this repair on my front end and no issues. After the glue cures remove the screws or paint them

+1 on this suggestion, gorilla glue will foam up and expand to make a good bond.
make sure to clean and rough up both surfaces

Dan
Old 02-21-2015, 09:20 PM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
I had the very same thing happen to me while traveling between Amana, IA and the Winnebago plant in Forest City, IA last May, strong cross winds too. We were on our way there for other work. I never found the "rear bumper" (that is what they call it), the IA Highway Dept. never found it. Fortunately, our toad was not hit in any way when the part "flew" off into the Iowa countryside. Winnebago had to manufacture a replacement part for mine since they do not stock those things after the model production run is complete. The tech who did the repairs was not too complimentary about the job and the adhesive used on the production line. He cleaned all the "glue" attachment points to bare metal and used a much stronger than OE adhesive to attach the replacement panel. I believe he said it was an epoxy adhesive that he used. You are lucky you have the piece to "glue" back on. Winnebago is very proud ($$$$) of their replacement parts.

If anyone else has the same experience, we need to pressure Winnebago for some financial relief. They were none too sympathetic when I complained about their product disintegrating. If they build something, it should not fall apart while in use. Our coach was manufactured in November, 2006. When did they build yours? May be a common factor to use in challenging Winnebago for policy support.

Find a heavy truck/over the road trailer repair shop and get a tube of the panel adhesive they use when repairing heavy OTR equipment.
FleetMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 10:11 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johndale View Post

Thanks, johndale. I will consider that. The piece is pretty heavy, so I want to make sure it is going to stay.

Jeff
Old 02-21-2015, 10:13 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurel moore View Post
I am in destin, there is a camper world west on hey 98 but I dont thinktheycould help you . I would leave it off until I got back home .

Thanks, Laurel. You're right. I don't think they could help. I can't leave it off, the only way to carry it is in the RV, and it is a pain having it inside. We'll end on the road for a while yet.

Jeff
Old 02-21-2015, 10:15 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpinvidic View Post
+1 on this suggestion, gorilla glue will foam up and expand to make a good bond.

make sure to clean and rough up both surfaces

Dan

Thanks, Dan. Gorilla glue is sounding better.

Jeff
Old 02-21-2015, 10:18 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by FleetMan View Post
I had the very same thing happen to me while traveling between Amana, IA and the Winnebago plant in Forest City, IA last May, strong cross winds too. .......

If anyone else has the same experience, we need to pressure Winnebago for some financial relief. They were none too sympathetic when I complained about their product disintegrating. If they build something, it should not fall apart while in use. Our coach was manufactured in November, 2006. When did they build yours? May be a common factor to use in challenging Winnebago for policy support.

Find a heavy truck/over the road trailer repair shop and get a tube of the panel adhesive they use when repairing heavy OTR equipment.

Fleetman, it might be worth a call to complain. That sounds like it's a manufacturing defect. Good suggestion for the truck raid shop.

Thanks,

Jeff
Old 02-22-2015, 05:46 AM   #10

I used epoxy on our failed Winnebago bond. Has worked for more than a year. Left the old adhesive on.
Old 02-22-2015, 05:52 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to TurtleKent
Any good urethane adhesive, available at Lowes/Home Depot in the paint section.
Old 02-22-2015, 06:05 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Not a new problem, been reported by many Winnebago owners for many years. My 2002 Journey had the rear engine access door separate, the entire lower rear cap partially separate, the front generator access door come off and the lower front cap partially separate. You would think Winnebago would have fixed this weakness in their manufacturing process by now.

I had a local body shop re-glue the rear cap and the generator access door while I was having a windshield replaced (broken due to badly rusted frame... another Winnebago shortcoming). They used some sort of automotive epoxy. I did my own repair on the engine access door by attaching it with some stainless button head bolts. I used a combination of JB Weld and stainless bolts to re-attach the lower front clip.

Winnebago does not clean or prep the metal properly. In most of these cases their adhesive sticks to the fiberglass but released from the metal brackets. Make sure you scuff up the metal before you re-glue. Sikaflex makes some great urethane adhesive that will hold it well.
Old 02-22-2015, 06:08 AM   #13

The Corvette uses bonding for several body panels. It is made by 3M. I would investigate what they use. I know I had a panel crack (my fault) and I bonded on a patch . That patch will not come off without tearing up the entire panel because the adhesive is so strong.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 06:19 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
In addition to re bonding, for peace of mind nothing beats stainless steel button head screws/bolts for both front and back panels.
charles tuit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
repair