Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-15-2022, 06:04 PM   #1

Onan 10 Kw seems to shake in cold weather

I went to exercise my generator today. It was around 34 deg outside. After it started, it seemed to vibrate the coach more than normal. I was wondering if anybody else has experienced this? I was thinking maybe the rubber mounts are cold and harder due to the colder temperature. I noticed this before and had my rv shop check it out and they said it was fine but it was much warmer when they looked at it. Also when I shut it off, it always makes a big rattle sound. I’m thinking that might be the metal slide hardware banging around?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-15-2022, 06:22 PM   #2

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelowna View Post
I went to exercise my generator today. It was around 34 deg outside. After it started, it seemed to vibrate the coach more than normal. I was wondering if anybody else has experienced this?
Nope!

It does always shake a bit when it's stopping, no matter the temperature.
Old 01-15-2022, 09:04 PM   #3

When it's cold out mine shakes more than normal when starting but settles down after a few minutes to it's normal low hum. In a recent power outage due to a big winter storm where I live I ran my motorhome's 10kw genset for 26 hours in temps in the teens to power things in my S&B home. Other than the first few minutes, it ran smooth as silk the whole time.

I've had several different diesel gensets and they all seem to shut down a bit "hard." Just make sure not to shut them down under a load.
Old 01-16-2022, 06:17 PM   #4

Ok thanks for the replies, maybe I will try a new fuel filter and see if it helps.
Old 01-16-2022, 06:25 PM   #5

yeah my big Cat shuts down less than smooth but it runs like a sewing machine. Just a note when you run the generator do you turn on a heavy power draw like the microwave, that is recommended.
Iceclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 06:59 PM   #6

We noticed our 7500 acted a little different on winter diesel than summer diesel. Any chance of that here?
radar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 05:51 AM   #7

It still has summer fuel in the tank.
Old 01-17-2022, 07:01 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelowna View Post
It still has summer fuel in the tank.
Maybe a more knowledgeable person could jump in here but that might have something to do with it. It’s been cold in the Okanagan. Maybe it has an affect on the summer fuel.

Cheers.
radar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 10:17 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
I’m just gonna also throw out here that most Cummins products, and diesels in general; run rough until all that oil and cast iron gets heated up. It can take a long time. On a 15min drive it work in 28F my 6.7L Cummins just barely hits normal temps unless I remembered to plug in engine heat.
Old 01-23-2022, 02:32 PM   #10

Cold rubber is a lot stiffer than when it's warm. It could be the mounts transmitting more vibration when they're cold. Load it up really well and let it run for awhile so everything starts warming up and see if it quiets down.
Argosy is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
cold weather, onan