Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-06-2020, 05:57 AM   #29

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I had a very similar issue where the generator would eventually start, run for a minute or so, surging the whole time, then shut down. Both fuel filters were new and fuel was reaching the unit; oil was topped off. I hired a mobile RV Tech to troubleshoot the issue and $85 later he informed me that I needed a new carbuator (he said it is a common problem) and cost would be $460 plus labor! Found a replacement carbuator on Amazon, complete with gaskets, fuel filter, clamps, etc. for $55 and spent about one hour repalacing the old unit. Generator runs like new now.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-06-2020, 06:01 AM   #30

carb

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfdeluca2 View Post
I had a very similar issue where the generator would eventually start, run for a minute or so, surging the whole time, then shut down. Both fuel filters were new and fuel was reaching the unit; oil was topped off. I hired a mobile RV Tech to troubleshoot the issue and $85 later he informed me that I needed a new carbuator (he said it is a common problem) and cost would be $460 plus labor! Found a replacement carbuator on Amazon, complete with gaskets, fuel filter, clamps, etc. for $55 and spent about one hour repalacing the old unit. Generator runs like new now.
Do you have the amazon part # for the carb? I have searched and searched for a replacement carb for my 5500 BGM that doesn't cost an arm and a leg

Thanks
tiffy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 05:48 AM   #31

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Here is a link to the Amazon page that lists your carburator: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=onan+5500...ref=nb_sb_noss I have an Onan HJAB model but as you will see; these carburators fit multiple models. I am not very mechanically inclined so when replacing the old carburator I took multiple photos before removing the old unit. That proved very helpful.
Old 09-07-2020, 10:08 AM   #32

carb

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfdeluca2 View Post
Here is a link to the Amazon page that lists your carburator: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=onan+5500...ref=nb_sb_noss I have an Onan HJAB model but as you will see; these carburators fit multiple models. I am not very mechanically inclined so when replacing the old carburator I took multiple photos before removing the old unit. That proved very helpful.
Thanks, I looked at those before and the throttle linkage on mine is on the other side , not sure if it would reach the other side without binding

Norm
Old 09-07-2020, 05:26 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiffy2000 View Post
Thanks, I looked at those before and the throttle linkage on mine is on the other side , not sure if it would reach the other side without binding

Norm
That's interesting. Not sure why they would have the throttle linkage in the opposite site, if they are (supposedly) replacement parts for that generator model. Have you tried to match the model number code of your genny with the part search in Amazon or eBay? This may give you more accurate results.
Old 09-07-2020, 05:56 PM   #34

Quote:

Norm
In the Amazon link, you are looking at the end of the carburator that you can only see with it off the engine.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 06:42 AM   #35

I had to replace the carb on my Onan 5500 an I did so with a cheapy from Amazon, it ran fine for about 2 minutes then started surging. I put the old carb back on and no longer had the surging issue, had the original issue of the choke staying on.
Replaced with an Onan carb from https://www.pacificrvmirrors.com/sea...earch=A043B781 haven’t had any issue since!
The A043B781 at the end of the link is the part number for this site, I have another number listed from Amazon of 541-0765.

HTH
Skip
SkipB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 07:45 AM   #36

carb

Quote:
Originally Posted by uchu View Post
That's interesting. Not sure why they would have the throttle linkage in the opposite site, if they are (supposedly) replacement parts for that generator model. Have you tried to match the model number code of your genny with the part search in Amazon or eBay? This may give you more accurate results.
I have put the exact carb number in and it comes up with a replacement for $375 (went up $40 over the summer) . I took the old carb off and blew it out with compressedair, carb cleaner and it runs great now...gotta love that ethenol....NOT

Thanks
Old 09-08-2020, 07:51 AM   #37

Quote:
I have put the exact carb number in and it comes up with a replacement for $375 (went up $40 over the summer) . I took the old carb off and blew it out with compressedair, carb cleaner and it runs great now...gotta love that ethenol....NOT

Thanks
Great! Thanks for the update. I guess the lesson is: Ttry to clean the carb first before thinking about replacing it. A good cleanup goes a long way!

Tags
generator, onan