RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-14-2020, 08:11 AM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 29
Onan 5500kw fuel bowl

Does anyone know how the fuel bowl comes off? Does the whole bowl turn to come off or do u have to remove the altitude slide off and screw out the main jet? I have gummed up gas in it.
Technoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-14-2020, 08:36 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 24,130
There is typically a bolt in the bottom center that holds the bowl. Could also be a the anti run on solenoid holding it.

Never seen one that screwed on.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 03:46 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
SKP Kirk's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Part-time out of Bass Lake Retirement Community
Posts: 508
Onan Service Manual, part 1

Onan Service Manual, part 2
__________________
Good Travelin! Kirk
Full-time 11 years, now part-time.
Kirk & Pam's Great Adventure!
SKP Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 08:58 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Tallahassee, Florida
Posts: 170
Which 5.5kw is it? Onan made several.

On the newer style they have a fuel cutoff solenoid on the bottom that bolts into a fitting that then holds the bowl on. In mine, I have to pull the carb off almost all the way to unscrew it because I can't get to the screws. Totally removing it easier, but make sure to are careful with the springs and rods and know where they were.

Also be careful to not loose the small copper washer that goes inside the float bowl, other wise your genny will not run right when you are done.
__________________
2017 Thor Windsport 34J -The Hammer
2015 Ford Edge SE - Toad
apr67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 04:02 AM   #5
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by apr67 View Post
Which 5.5kw is it? Onan made several.

On the newer style they have a fuel cutoff solenoid on the bottom that bolts into a fitting that then holds the bowl on. In mine, I have to pull the carb off almost all the way to unscrew it because I can't get to the screws. Totally removing it easier, but make sure to are careful with the springs and rods and know where they were.

Also be careful to not loose the small copper washer that goes inside the float bowl, other wise your genny will not run right when you are done.
model 5.5 BGMFA26105H
Technoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 11:42 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Northeast Ohio
Posts: 358
I have that model and have removed the bowl too.

I adjusted the altitude knob to sea level zero and then gently pried the adjustment knob down to remove. Then removed the main jet on the bottom by unscrewing it counter clockwise. Bowl pulls off straight down.

Be careful of the sealing washer on the main jet and try not to turn the fuel mixture screw in the main jet. Be careful of the float assembly with pieces parts, I reused the sealing washer and bowl gasket. Reverse to re-install and pop the adjustment knob back on at zero.

It's pretty much like any outdoor power equipment once you remove the altitude knob.
__________________
2000 Fleetwood Southwind 32V - Ford F53 V10 6.8L 208"WB 20,500 GVWR
Randalpho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 04:10 AM   #7
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randalpho View Post
I have that model and have removed the bowl too.

I adjusted the altitude knob to sea level zero and then gently pried the adjustment knob down to remove. Then removed the main jet on the bottom by unscrewing it counter clockwise. Bowl pulls off straight down.

Be careful of the sealing washer on the main jet and try not to turn the fuel mixture screw in the main jet. Be careful of the float assembly with pieces parts, I reused the sealing washer and bowl gasket. Reverse to re-install and pop the adjustment knob back on at zero.

It's pretty much like any outdoor power equipment once you remove the altitude knob.
Thank you. This is the answer I was looking for. I have a gasket kit ordered for this carb. Now I can get the bowl off and clean the crap out of it. Thanks again!
Technoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 05:45 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Tallahassee, Florida
Posts: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randalpho View Post

It's pretty much like any outdoor power equipment once you remove the altitude knob.


I never had to remove the altitude knob to drop my bowl.
__________________
2017 Thor Windsport 34J -The Hammer
2015 Ford Edge SE - Toad
apr67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 11:08 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Northeast Ohio
Posts: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by apr67 View Post
I never had to remove the altitude knob to drop my bowl.
What year and model do you have? I have this exact model including the "H" rev level, mine is a 2000 model year.

If you fast forward to the 2:00 minute mark in the video, you will see the knob is around the bottom fuel jet/needle and needs to be removed.

__________________
2000 Fleetwood Southwind 32V - Ford F53 V10 6.8L 208"WB 20,500 GVWR
Randalpho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 11:16 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 435
Inline fuel shutoff

Just to prevent buildup in the off season, I installed a fuel shutoff valve and run it dry like my lawnmower at season end.
__________________
2008 Fleetwood Southwind
W22 Workhorse Chassis 8.1L Chev Vortec
Allison 1000 transmission
ramblinboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 03:40 AM   #11
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramblinboy View Post
Just to prevent buildup in the off season, I installed a fuel shutoff valve and run it dry like my lawnmower at season end.
From my experience doing that tends to dry out the seals. Also the rubber seat on the float needle. I put a good dose of Starbrite blue gas treatment in the tank. It keeps the gas fresh for the winter months. I use it in all my small engines. Sold at Napa. They also make it for diesel fuel.
Technoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 04:08 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 24,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technoid View Post
From my experience doing that tends to dry out the seals. Also the rubber seat on the float needle. I put a good dose of Starbrite blue gas treatment in the tank. It keeps the gas fresh for the winter months. I use it in all my small engines. Sold at Napa. They also make it for diesel fuel.
Today's carb parts don't use rubber anymore, since synthetics were developed, so the parts do not dry out.

Almost every carburator is vented to atmosphere, so the gas in it will evaporate out of the bowl, leaving the parts exposed to air in a short time. Conditioner doesn't fix that.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 04:26 AM   #13
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Today's carb parts don't use rubber anymore, since synthetics were developed, so the parts do not dry out.

Almost every carburator is vented to atmosphere, so the gas in it will evaporate out of the bowl, leaving the parts exposed to air in a short time. Conditioner doesn't fix that.
That never happened with my small engines. Always find gas in the carb bowls. The treatment also coats it. That 60 gallon tank in a winterized motor home needs treatment to if you store it. I dont think you can fully empty that tank. And doing so can damage the fuel pump. I have a boat and adding fuel treatment is a must. It doesn't hurt to treat gasoline keeping it fresh.
Technoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 05:19 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 24,130
So you treat everything and I have never treated anything.

Boats, RVs, small engines, and cars stored for months at a time, without any treatments. No problems.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
fuel, onan



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Clear bowl on bottom of Wix 33242 Fuel Filter Vanwill Monaco Owner's Forum 12 12-24-2015 06:15 AM
Onan 5500KW Quietdiesel Issue topdownman Class A Motorhome Discussions 10 01-17-2015 11:33 AM
Primary Fuel Filter Replace 6C8.3, To bowl or not to bowl??? aRVowl Monaco Owner's Forum 2 05-13-2012 05:22 PM
check engine light - water in fuel - empty bowl rkravontka Cummins Engines 9 07-15-2010 05:21 PM
The dust bowl before the super bowl! Ultra RV Products Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum 45 01-15-2008 09:35 AM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:17 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.