Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-14-2020, 08:11 AM   #1

Onan 5500kw fuel bowl

Does anyone know how the fuel bowl comes off? Does the whole bowl turn to come off or do u have to remove the altitude slide off and screw out the main jet? I have gummed up gas in it.
Technoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-14-2020, 08:36 AM   #2

There is typically a bolt in the bottom center that holds the bowl. Could also be a the anti run on solenoid holding it.

Never seen one that screwed on.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 03:46 PM   #3

Onan Service Manual, part 1

Onan Service Manual, part 2
SKP Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 08:58 PM   #4

Which 5.5kw is it? Onan made several.

On the newer style they have a fuel cutoff solenoid on the bottom that bolts into a fitting that then holds the bowl on. In mine, I have to pull the carb off almost all the way to unscrew it because I can't get to the screws. Totally removing it easier, but make sure to are careful with the springs and rods and know where they were.

Also be careful to not loose the small copper washer that goes inside the float bowl, other wise your genny will not run right when you are done.
Old 09-21-2020, 04:02 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by apr67 View Post
Which 5.5kw is it? Onan made several.

On the newer style they have a fuel cutoff solenoid on the bottom that bolts into a fitting that then holds the bowl on. In mine, I have to pull the carb off almost all the way to unscrew it because I can't get to the screws. Totally removing it easier, but make sure to are careful with the springs and rods and know where they were.

Also be careful to not loose the small copper washer that goes inside the float bowl, other wise your genny will not run right when you are done.
model 5.5 BGMFA26105H
Old 09-21-2020, 11:42 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have that model and have removed the bowl too.

I adjusted the altitude knob to sea level zero and then gently pried the adjustment knob down to remove. Then removed the main jet on the bottom by unscrewing it counter clockwise. Bowl pulls off straight down.

Be careful of the sealing washer on the main jet and try not to turn the fuel mixture screw in the main jet. Be careful of the float assembly with pieces parts, I reused the sealing washer and bowl gasket. Reverse to re-install and pop the adjustment knob back on at zero.

It's pretty much like any outdoor power equipment once you remove the altitude knob.
Randalpho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 04:10 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randalpho View Post
I have that model and have removed the bowl too.

I adjusted the altitude knob to sea level zero and then gently pried the adjustment knob down to remove. Then removed the main jet on the bottom by unscrewing it counter clockwise. Bowl pulls off straight down.

Be careful of the sealing washer on the main jet and try not to turn the fuel mixture screw in the main jet. Be careful of the float assembly with pieces parts, I reused the sealing washer and bowl gasket. Reverse to re-install and pop the adjustment knob back on at zero.

It's pretty much like any outdoor power equipment once you remove the altitude knob.
Thank you. This is the answer I was looking for. I have a gasket kit ordered for this carb. Now I can get the bowl off and clean the crap out of it. Thanks again!
Old 09-22-2020, 05:45 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randalpho View Post

I never had to remove the altitude knob to drop my bowl.
Old 09-22-2020, 11:08 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by apr67 View Post
I never had to remove the altitude knob to drop my bowl.
What year and model do you have? I have this exact model including the "H" rev level, mine is a 2000 model year.

If you fast forward to the 2:00 minute mark in the video, you will see the knob is around the bottom fuel jet/needle and needs to be removed.

Randalpho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 11:16 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Inline fuel shutoff

Just to prevent buildup in the off season, I installed a fuel shutoff valve and run it dry like my lawnmower at season end.
ramblinboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 03:40 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramblinboy View Post
Just to prevent buildup in the off season, I installed a fuel shutoff valve and run it dry like my lawnmower at season end.
From my experience doing that tends to dry out the seals. Also the rubber seat on the float needle. I put a good dose of Starbrite blue gas treatment in the tank. It keeps the gas fresh for the winter months. I use it in all my small engines. Sold at Napa. They also make it for diesel fuel.
Old 09-23-2020, 04:08 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technoid View Post
From my experience doing that tends to dry out the seals. Also the rubber seat on the float needle. I put a good dose of Starbrite blue gas treatment in the tank. It keeps the gas fresh for the winter months. I use it in all my small engines. Sold at Napa. They also make it for diesel fuel.
Today's carb parts don't use rubber anymore, since synthetics were developed, so the parts do not dry out.

Almost every carburator is vented to atmosphere, so the gas in it will evaporate out of the bowl, leaving the parts exposed to air in a short time. Conditioner doesn't fix that.
Old 09-24-2020, 04:26 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Today's carb parts don't use rubber anymore, since synthetics were developed, so the parts do not dry out.

Almost every carburator is vented to atmosphere, so the gas in it will evaporate out of the bowl, leaving the parts exposed to air in a short time. Conditioner doesn't fix that.
That never happened with my small engines. Always find gas in the carb bowls. The treatment also coats it. That 60 gallon tank in a winterized motor home needs treatment to if you store it. I dont think you can fully empty that tank. And doing so can damage the fuel pump. I have a boat and adding fuel treatment is a must. It doesn't hurt to treat gasoline keeping it fresh.
Old 09-24-2020, 05:19 AM   #14

So you treat everything and I have never treated anything.

Boats, RVs, small engines, and cars stored for months at a time, without any treatments. No problems.

Tags
fuel, onan