Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-05-2017, 02:15 PM   #1

Onan 7500 quiet generator

Afternoon all. I've got a Fleetwood discovery, 2006. Recently my Onan generator quit powering my rig although the generator itself starts up just fine.

I tested voltage at the generator and am only showing 55 between ground and hot as well as neutral and hot.

I also tested voltage at the transfer switch and got the same reading.

Any clues as to what might be happening or where I might troubleshoot next?

Thanks!

Marc
DrHexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-05-2017, 02:44 PM   #2

Check your circuit breakers on the gen by the start stop switch
djay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 02:47 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by djay View Post
Check your circuit breakers on the gen by the start stop switch

There's only one and it is on. I flipped it up and down but nothing. The switch does feel a bit loose though.
Old 02-05-2017, 03:41 PM   #4

Does it sound like the RPMs are comming up to normal speed ?

If not, you could try changing the fuel filter.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 04:01 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHexx View Post
Afternoon all. I've got a Fleetwood discovery, 2006. Recently my Onan generator quit powering my rig although the generator itself starts up just fine.

I tested voltage at the generator and am only showing 55 between ground and hot as well as neutral and hot.

I also tested voltage at the transfer switch and got the same reading.

Any clues as to what might be happening or where I might troubleshoot next?

Thanks!

Marc
If it is not producing the required voltage it could also be a winding in the generator that broke. It could be a number of things but the fact that it is producing some voltage tells me that it is more likely a circuit, brush, or winding that has gone south. Most of the time the generator will produce the required voltage even at low speeds but you may have a current problem at low speeds. It should put out 12v even at idle.
billdreamlv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 04:03 PM   #6

Sounds like my 2007 version. That's what happened to mine over the summer first it was low voltage like that then after a while it ran fine putting out the correct voltage and than it started putting out to much voltage that's where I am now Onan is no help so I have an appointment with a shop to have it checked out.
rocky34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 03:38 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

The QD 7500 is an inverter-generator, so the inverter may have failed. The inverter gets it's DC from a traditional DC generator powered by the diesel engine, so it could be low DC voltage to the inverter as well.

Do both output hot legs show the same low voltage? To neutral and to ground?
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 06:54 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
The QD 7500 is an inverter-generator, so the inverter may have failed. The inverter gets it's DC from a traditional DC generator powered by the diesel engine, so it could be low DC voltage to the inverter as well.

Do both output hot legs show the same low voltage? To neutral and to ground?

Yep they sure do. Right at 55 volts.

Marc
Old 02-06-2017, 07:40 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHexx View Post
Yep they sure do. Right at 55 volts.

Marc
Not to be cute, but I suspect you lost a diode in your bridge rectifier.
billdreamlv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 08:04 PM   #10

Send a message via Skype™ to 8TiresRollin
An inverter generator works as such : The rotating generator (probably brushless model) produces a DC voltage that is inverted electronically to an Alternating Current to mix into the house voltage system. The electronic inverter box will control the throttle of the generator engine to meet the exact demand of what the load is sized at. That is why you hear the generator apply more throttle if you plug a kettle in or an electric heater. The inverter system is an easier way to do this control for a mass produced item and generally works really good. You need to test the output of the DC side of the generator then if that is good then look at the inverter unit. It could be a floating neutral wire or something similar so be sure to check all connections with the POWER OFF and generator not running of course. First you need a circuit diagram of the unit and that should be available somewhere on the internet. Hope this helps
8TiresRollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 08:11 PM   #11

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
A cheap VOM will not accurately read AC voltage. OP, what are you using to read the voltage?
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 08:34 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
A cheap VOM will not accurately read AC voltage. OP, what are you using to read the voltage?

I don't remember the brand name but I did test it on some 120 outlets and it read fine.
Old 02-06-2017, 08:36 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8TiresRollin View Post
An inverter generator works as such : The rotating generator (probably brushless model) produces a DC voltage that is inverted electronically to an Alternating Current to mix into the house voltage system. The electronic inverter box will control the throttle of the generator engine to meet the exact demand of what the load is sized at. That is why you hear the generator apply more throttle if you plug a kettle in or an electric heater. The inverter system is an easier way to do this control for a mass produced item and generally works really good. You need to test the output of the DC side of the generator then if that is good then look at the inverter unit. It could be a floating neutral wire or something similar so be sure to check all connections with the POWER OFF and generator not running of course. First you need a circuit diagram of the unit and that should be available somewhere on the internet. Hope this helps

Lol. It tells me a lot but I can do basic wiring in my house, change an outlet or install a switch but now you're getting well beyond my comfort zone.

It's sounding like I need to find a place to have it looked at.

Marc
Old 02-15-2017, 08:04 AM   #14

Mine would not supply power of my coach battery was dead. Put a new battery in and everything worked. Don't know if this will help you but it worked for me.

Tags
fleetwood discovery, generator, onan, quiet