Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-05-2008, 11:53 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
It's getting time for the initial 50 hr change. When the access door swings down, the fuel filter, fuel line and some wire are the 1st thing I see. To get to the horizontally mounted oil filter I have to reach thru and around these items. After opening the drain, I'm assuming the filter is still pretty full. So I'm looking for some tips on how to remove the oil filter without wearing the oil or getting it all over everything.

This is a HDKAK 8.0kw diesel generator.
Nonno is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-05-2008, 11:53 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
It's getting time for the initial 50 hr change. When the access door swings down, the fuel filter, fuel line and some wire are the 1st thing I see. To get to the horizontally mounted oil filter I have to reach thru and around these items. After opening the drain, I'm assuming the filter is still pretty full. So I'm looking for some tips on how to remove the oil filter without wearing the oil or getting it all over everything.

This is a HDKAK 8.0kw diesel generator.
Old 08-05-2008, 12:16 PM   #3
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bob Russo:

This is a HDKAK 8.0kw diesel generator. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

How about grabbing ahold of it with one of those infamous plastic bags that we get in grocery stores/Walmart.
JC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 01:39 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
lay some rags around and use a zip-lock.
cannon man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 01:41 PM   #5

Bob

Do not forget to remove the brass screw plug by the exhast and clean out the stuff that accumulates. You will nedd a long extension on your socket. s/Toby
Old 08-05-2008, 02:41 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Do not forget to remove the brass screw plug by the exhast and clean out the stuff that accumulates. You will nedd a long extension on your socket. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wasn't aware of that so I looked in the manual. Found that this is the cleanout plug for the spark arrestor. I'm only around 50 hrs not 150 and bought it new in Apr 08 but around 25 hrs were on it when I bought it so the "once a year" footnote might apply. Thanks, I think
Old 08-07-2008, 09:43 PM   #7

Bring an oil pan, rags, and a LARGE set of Channel-Locks with you. There have been many complaints about those filters being mechanically spun on and almost impossible to get off (almost..). Some have jammed a screwdriver through it as a lever, etc. Expecting the worst, I grabbed mine really hard with channel locks and tugged it hard the 1st time before I screwed it up and it came off nicely. But the filter WILL be full, so make sure you have something underneath it.

Having said that and doing all my reading here first, it was one of the cleaner and easier filter changes I've done. Just be ready.

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 05:49 AM   #8

Poke a hole in the filter with a screwdriver and let the oil drain before removing the filter.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bob Russo:

This is a HDKAK 8.0kw diesel generator. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Southern California
BZam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 11:11 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
don't forget to check your oil level after the initial start and shutdown. the oil filter holds a good bit of oil. on my onan, i could not get 2 qts of oil into it until after i started it and shut it down. very messy.
good point about stabbing the oil filter to drain it.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L 5sp allison SW Wa,. Good Sam, SKP. RVM 198 AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. Michelins, TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '21MB GLA FWD on dolly
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote