Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-19-2022, 04:23 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Onan EC 30 Auto Start short cycle

This is what I am experiencing:

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/ona...to-476342.html
I had a bad neutral situation. My brother-in-law tried to add a circuit to the 50A RV service I had installed at his house. I was unaware he had been in the outlet box. We arrived late in the evening, plugged in, set the breaker on and started running systems. We heard a sizzling from somewhere and the generator started. I disconnected from shore power for the night and ran on the generator. We couldn't see any problems YET.
The next day I found that the outlet neutral was burned off and the outlet was trashed. After all the wiring was corrected and we were back on shore power we started to find problems.

When we had the generator in Auto Start, now on shore power, and the A/C unit was called for, the generator would start.
Because of weather and travels I didn't try to troubleshoot for several months.
To make things a bit more interesting we had a A/C controller causing problems with the thermostat. Well, if I was going to fix one thing I might just as well jump into the deep end of the stinky pool and fix both problems. My original thinking was the controller was causing the start call problem. I was very wrong. Yes, the controller had communication problems with the thermostat but that had nothing to do with the generator.
In my research I found that the EC 30 was looking line voltage. The RV service panel has a transformer in it to feed a low voltage AC signal to the EC 30. I replaced it.
The above link to the old thread tells the story of what is happening to me. Why this problem started after I had the neutral failure I can't say.
I am going to run a wire from L1 or L2 of the power cord connection in the ATS to the transformer hot lead. This will isolate it from the generator power on the RV service panel to the transformer.

It only stands to reason. The transformer has no idea where the line power is coming from. So, in turn, the EC 30 is satisfied when it sees the power signal from the transformer and will switch into "Cool down" mode, shut down, see loss of power signal and restart after 10 seconds! And the dance goes on.
This short cycling is very had on all the equipment. I will do the wiring modification tomorrow morning and post back the results.
Rick Y
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2022, 06:58 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Rick, you nailed it. This in why the majority of manufactures don't set up their coaches for auto Gen start on loss of power. I had the exact same problem on my last coach. My fix was to install a 115 V receptacle wired to the line side of my ATS and this is where I plugged in my transformer.
chuckftboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 03:05 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckftboy View Post
Rick, you nailed it. This in why the majority of manufactures don't set up their coaches for auto Gen start on loss of power. I had the exact same problem on my last coach. My fix was to install a 115 V receptacle wired to the line side of my ATS and this is where I plugged in my transformer.
Sadly this is NOT my problem. I think when the neutral failed it put a surge in the transformer before it failed. This surge damaged the EC 30 timing clock.

I rewired the transformer to the L1 and neutral in the ATS with romex. Now, as soon as shore power is applied, the generator shuts down even though it is still under load with the A/C running. I won't finish the load satisfaction function and 10 min cool down function. The EC 30 is toast. Bummer. One more thing to fix from the neutral failure.

I found a used one on ebay. I'll post how it works when I get it installed.
Old 05-22-2022, 03:48 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Update

I have not received the EC 30 yet. Got it on ebay used.

I did run romex from the L1 & N of the ATS power cord connections with an inline fuse, 3A, for protection.
One thing I didn't mention is what happened when I did the Auto Start test with the transformer rewired. As soon as I turned on the shore power breaker the generator stopped. It was under the load of the A/C! No 10 min cool down. This is another indicator that the EC 30 is bad.
The pictures are for show & tell.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ATS Fuse.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	448.8 KB
ID:	366255   Click image for larger version

Name:	Service Pan Back.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	400.2 KB
ID:	366256  

Click image for larger version