RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-04-2017, 09:23 PM   #43

I just got new spark plugs too. So tomorrow I will be firing the generator up and let the Sea Foam run through it for a while until all the crap is cleaned out. Then I will update all of you on the results of how well it runs. Until then Happy Labor Day.
cimplexsound is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-04-2017, 09:56 PM   #44

Even though it calls for one ounce per gallon, I'd mix heavy for the first couple tanks. I've don't think you can go wrong with 2-3 ounces per gallon. I've done it numerous times without any ill effects
offtosleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 10:10 PM   #45

I'll give it a try. Thanks
Old 09-05-2017, 11:19 PM   #46

https://youtu.be/6mdHagevAr8
Old 09-05-2017, 11:25 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by cimplexsound View Post

I'm hoping this is the sound of success!!!
offtosleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 11:25 PM   #48

Onan Emerald Genset not getting fuel from main tank

A couple ounces of sea foam, a gallon of gas and 2 new spark plugs, and a couple of adjustment to the carburetor. It's not only running like new, it's holding a load really well and kicking out clean power!!! We ran the genset for well over an hour so I know for a fact the circuit board is operating properly. How many generators do you know that can produce clean power??? I have no trouble with power surges. My AC, microwave oven and almost all the lights in the RV on all at once and it still runs so smooth!!! I can even leave my sensative electronics plugged while it's running and I never have a problem. It's running that well. Thank you to all you irv2's for the helpful tips. I've never seen an Onan generator run so good.

P.S Just in case this info might help any of you who are having Onan genset issues. My neighbor (the retired Onan generator mechanic) said that if you let the generator run at low ideal it tends to surge so adjusting the idiler to a moderate speed tends to help the gensets run smoother. Kind of like a car with manual transmission. If you let the motor drop below 500 rpms it will kill the motor, so you have to sync the clutch and the gas pedal just right to help the car shift and run well. As example he says. If you let the genset fall to to low of idling speed and try to put a load on it, you will kill the motor. Hope this helps and thanks again.
Old 09-06-2017, 12:33 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by cimplexsound View Post
A couple ounces of sea foam, a gallon of gas and 2 new spark plugs, and a couple of adjustment to the carburetor. It's not only running like new, it's holding a load really well and kicking out clean power!!! We ran the genset for well over an hour so I know for a fact the circuit board is operating properly. How many generators do you know that can produce clean power??? I have no trouble with power surges. My AC, microwave oven and almost all the lights in the RV on all at once and it still runs so smooth!!! I can even leave my sensative electronics plugged while it's running and I never have a problem. It's running that well. Thank you to all you irv2's for the helpful tips. I've never seen an Onan generator run so good.

P.S Just in case this info might help any of you who are having Onan genset issues. My neighbor (the retired Onan generator mechanic) said that if you let the generator run at low ideal it tends to surge so adjusting the idiler to a moderate speed tends to help the gensets run smoother. Kind of like a car with manual transmission. If you let the motor drop below 500 rpms it will kill the motor, so you have to sync the clutch and the gas pedal just right to help the car shift and run well. As example he says. If you let the genset fall to to low of idling speed and try to put a load on it, you will kill the motor. Hope this helps and thanks again.

This is also why it is important to keep the genset under load. It keeps your idling speed from getting to high so don't overheat the generator or damage the engine by reving it to high. High voltage loads like an air conditioner require a higher idling and keeping it under load at all times.
Old 09-06-2017, 04:55 PM   #50

Never good to let them sit very long with fuel in there drying up. Glad for your success.
Old 09-07-2017, 11:54 PM   #51

Amen. Now that I have mine running good, I start it up at least twice a month and let it run for a good hour everytime. In the summer the idler screw gets set higher to accommodate for the fact it has to support the load an 1800 watt air conditioner puts on it. In the winter I drop the idling speed considerable since the AC is not used in cooler months. And mostly only 12 volt accessories are used. In winter I keep the idling speed just barely high enough to keep it from surging and to provide clean power.

Tags
fuel, onan, tank