Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-27-2022, 12:50 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Location: SD Resident = places in Green Valley AZ & Mission TX
Onan Gen 10KW losing fuel overnight

Fueled up, less than 1/2 mile from RV park, parked for the night with no noticeable issues. Gen had been running prior to fueling up.
Next morning, large amount of diesel fuel on concrete pad (1/2 - 1 gal?) under gen. Looked for source, fuel was dripping from rear of gen. Could see fuel line connection into gen, appeared secure, not leaking. Leak appeared to be just inside of rear of gen, just below where fuel line enters. Had to raise front of MH with jacks to get a better look. Dripping stopped as soon as I raised the front. Access to leaking area appeared difficult, requiring removal of a large support bracket.
With service availability difficult to nonexistent, I decided to continue on our journey. I checked for any further leaking about every hour; no leaking. That evening at next RV park, watched closely for leaks. Next morning, no leaking. During the next day's leg, I attempted to start gen (did not try the day before), started and ran without issue. Fueled up in route, no dripping, continued to next stop. Gen off. No sign of leaking the next morning. Repeat this two more days. No more issues. Parked for two weeks now, no issues.
So, anyone ever experience anything like this? Possible cause? Heat related siphoning?
Before I take it to the shop and pay for hours of searching without finding anything, I'd appreciate your insights and experience.
Thank you in advance, Joe
JoeCastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2022, 05:37 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I don't have a 10K so don't know if this will help. On the 8K gens, there is a drop-down door on the bottom of the generator. Inside that door is access to the oil filter and also the fuel filter. You might want to check both ends of the generator fuel filter.
paddler1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 06:40 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I had the same issue on my 7.5 QD. My leak was on the output flare connection of the fuel pump. Same area Steve referenced. Snuged up the flare nut and no more leaks.
Old 09-29-2022, 01:51 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Thank you for your response.
A check/replacement of fuel filter will be the first place I look for the solution.
Old 09-30-2022, 01:45 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCastor View Post
Thank you for your response.
A check/replacement of fuel filter will be the first place I look for the solution.

Remember alway try the cheapest fix first !
jacknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2022, 12:01 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Update:
Thanks for the fuel filter tips. The 10KW/12KW has two filters; an in-line filter and a "box" filter. The box filter was leaking. Replaced filter and problem fixed.
Old 10-18-2022, 05:48 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks for letting us know the solution to your fuel leak.
paddler1954 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
onan, fuel