Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-24-2015, 07:24 AM   #15

Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
I had to replace my fuel pump, and filter this fall while on the road. Same thing, run a few minutes and quit. Solved the problem....lesson learned since I was in the desert of AZ at the time.......
W3SI is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-24-2015, 02:13 PM   #16

Cumins/Onan warranty is for three years. Take it to a Cumins service center and have them diagnose the problem.
Old 12-24-2015, 04:40 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeOts View Post
How many hours on the generator? It's possible the previous owner didn't run it regularly and there's old gas & varnish in the generator fuel system. Worst case, disassemble & clean the fuel system including replacing the fuel filter.
A "2015" coach with "varnish" in the fuel system of the generator, not likely. With todays blends of fuels, they have to sit for a considerable amount of time, before any form of varnish even thinks about accumulating or developing. In not being there to help analyze the issue, it's fairly hard to pin-point the issue. You say it had a 1/3 of tank of fuel when you picked it up, correct? Then, you filled it up with what I assume you mean "89" octane fuel, not 89 gallons of gas.

Could it be the fuel filter on the gen itself? Yep, sure could. It's pointing at that but not necessarily for sure. Could it be the air filter, not really. If an air filter is that bad, to shut down the gen, it won't most likely run at all. Could it be the fuel pump, possibly.

It's been reported that there are sometimes, more than one fuel filter on some gen sets. One is on it and the other is farther up-line, towards the tank.

You could take a couple of strategies here. One, as has been suggested, take it back to where you purchased from and, either ASK or, MAKE them to remedy the situation. Or 2, if you didn't want to hassle with that and, try a fix yourself, then I'd start with the fuel filter. Find out which one you need, go pick it up and, do a quick change-out and re-start the gen to see what happens. If it doesn't fix the problem, you're not out a tremendous amount of money, and, you've got a new filter.

Not many guys would do what I would do next. If the filter didn't fix the issue, I'd get a large syringe and, fill it full of gas. I'd then fire up the gen with the air cleaner off. I'd sit there, syringe ready and, wait 'till it started to quit. At that precise minute, I'd squirt a tad bit of fuel down the throat of the carb. If that keeps it running, I'd go maybe for a fuel pump or, maybe even make sure you've got fuel at least getting to the fuel pump.

Something to think about.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 07:00 PM   #18

Damon Owners Club
I vote Fuel Pump. Been their done that. Easy to change and I went with the after market replacement.
Old 12-27-2015, 11:12 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pullin' Chocks View Post
we completely agree with mojo. we are also on our third fuel pump. first pump out of the box, Gen would not start. second pump cracked and leaked, also shut down when Gen became too hot. third pump also shut down when Gen got too hot. we removed the coach mfg installed pan covering the cooling exhaust, no more overheat or shutdowns. one clue, the fuel pump would start a clicking noise when we were entering overheat conditions. Onan finally told us that the pump was not getting fuel when it was clicking. coach mfg service told us the clicking was not a problem, we knew better but couldn't prove it. the theory was that the fuel was vaporizing ahead of the pump and therefore no fuel at the pump, then sputtering and finally shutdown.
We purchased our unit new with just over 700 miles on just over 2 years ago. We now have 23, 890 miles on it and the Genset has 610 hours.
Last week our Genset just started doing the same thing and have tested the fuel pump it was not making the required pressure. I replaced the fuel pump and the genset works fine now.

fyi ....I have completed all services required on or before they are due.

Air filters
Spark Plugs
Fuel Filter
RELHUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 04:05 PM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Boy I hope you find the trouble fast. I would do what Scott suggested but be careful. I have no troubles with my Onan and my rig is 15 years old.
I feel for you guys who buy new rigs only to have to take them back to the dealer. Reminds me of the first new house I built. First day in the shower and the lower level got flooded. First time we turned on the heater we had Carbon monoxide. NEW is not always good.
Make the dealer fix it.
Old 12-29-2015, 03:44 PM   #21

Check oil. If just a little bit low gen will cut off
Rlmatthews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 04:04 PM   #22

Onan Generator

What was the resolution?

My experience has been that the dealer apparently did not run the generator for a half hour each month, as the unit sat for sale.

According to ONAN, sitting long enough for gasoline to varnish the inside of the carborater or the fuel pump IS NOT a warranty repair item. Expect EACH one to cost about $400, and both probably need replacement. They do not rebuild them, and rebuild kits are not available for you to do it yourself.

THOR will tell you that it's a dealer issue, and NOT a warranty item for them, either.

Ask me how I know this? Ask me if I will buy another THOR product.
LeRoi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 06:22 AM   #23

Fleetwood Owners Club
Onan Generator

Update on my Generator adventures. I took the Coach to a local (jacksonville, fl) Onan warranty repair shop and he replaced the filter, ran for 30 minutes under full load and drove off. 10 minutes later as I am going down the road the generator shut off. Called the shop and turned around!! He did a few more diagnostics and then replaced the carb (under warranty or he would have cleaned it.) He said sometimes a deposit clogs the carb. Waited an hour under full load and then drove off. ALL GOOD as it has been running for over 2 hours straight under load. I have to give some kudo's to Jeff at Kents RV in Jax. He does mobile as well. Great service. Thank you to all the forum assistance and suggestions. It is such a great learning tool!
It is now 2 trips later and all is well!

Stay away from CW!
Old 12-30-2015, 07:28 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobgio View Post
Update on my Generator adventures. I took the Coach to a local (jacksonville, fl) Onan warranty repair shop and he replaced the filter, ran for 30 minutes under full load and drove off. 10 minutes later as I am going down the road the generator shut off. Called the shop and turned around!! He did a few more diagnostics and then replaced the carb (under warranty or he would have cleaned it.) He said sometimes a deposit clogs the carb. Waited an hour under full load and then drove off. ALL GOOD as it has been running for over 2 hours straight under load. I have to give some kudo's to Jeff at Kents RV in Jax. He does mobile as well. Great service. Thank you to all the forum assistance and suggestions. It is such a great learning tool!

Stay away from CW!

Thanks for the update!

Always good to hear a resolution.
Old 12-30-2015, 07:39 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobgio View Post

Stay away from CW!

Thanks so much for the follow-up! Many times we never hear what the final resolution is. Your follow-up will be helpful for others that may have the same problem! Happy New Year!
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, onan