RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-01-2016, 06:51 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Onan generator

Has anyone had problems with the magnets coming loose in a 7.5k genset?
Scotialaddie is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-01-2016, 08:31 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I looked over at Smokstak.com and it does happen.

2007 Monaco Diplomat 40 PDQ
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 10:57 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotialaddie View Post
Has anyone had problems with the magnets coming loose in a 7.5k genset?
Well Sir,
You don't say what year/make/model of coach so that it can be narrowed down to a series that has has this issue. Mine was one of them. We have an '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the C-7 330HP CAT and, while we really don't know when it happened, it was found during investigation of other issues with the Gen Set.

Some folks were lucky enough, if you want to call it "lucky", for it to happen when the coach was under warranty. The fix on that is anywhere from about $800 up to around $1500, depending on all kinds of variables. When I found mine had done it, I was actually fixing other issues too so, I had to tear it down to a point that, I was accomplishing more than one fix at a time.

I got lucky when it came to replacing the rotor. I got a semi-new one from ebay that was off of an 8.0KW unit. It still cost me $200 shipped to my door step. Below are some pics of what kind of shrapnel you might see if yours has done the same action as mine and others. That magnet will explode since it's operating in literally thousandths of clearance between it and the stator.

It has no place to go when it dislodges from it's rotor body. So, it just grinds and shatters into multiple sized pieces and, due to the rotational centrifugal force, the pieces of it will end up sticking to anything metallic all over the inside of that generator housing/panels.

It's not a fun job to replace that rotor. Mine was waaaaaaay easier than many due to the fact that the gen is on a slide out tray. If yours is not, the gen will have to be dropped out the bottom and placed in a work area for semi-complete disassembly. I say semi because, you do have to literally take the genset about 1/2 way apart to gain access to that area.

Not to mention, when any of those magnets dislodge, there's about a 95% chance that there will be damage to the stator too. That's an $1100 dollar part alone. At least it was way back when I replaced it. Anyway, good luck on your repair. It's really interesting to get into that gen, that far.
Scott

FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 11:01 AM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
If yours hasn't come apart yet, strictly adhere to the "run it every 30 day rule". What is happening is that the glue used to hold the magnets in place absorbs moisture and then lets go. Running the gen set warms the components and drys the glue out and the magnets then stay in place.
Old 12-01-2016, 05:55 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Scott, those pictures scare the poop out of me and I'm pretty handy! Going to leave this one to the Onan people.
Don, you're right! Once every 30 days minimum!
Scotialaddie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 08:02 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotialaddie View Post
Scott, those pictures scare the poop out of me and I'm pretty handy! Going to leave this one to the Onan people.
Don, you're right! Once every 30 days minimum!
Well,
It is a pretty intent little project, for sure. While it's really just a bunch of removing parts in succession and remembering where they all go, it's like stated, not for the faint heart. Good luck if your's has shunned a magnet.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 09:08 PM   #7

Yes, on a 2000 Holiday Rambler Endeavor. Onan had a bad batch of rotors, and only provided warranty service to the original owners.

If the flying magnets damage the stator, it's about 4 grand to repair at Onan's rates.

Fred

Tags
generator, onan