Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-11-2021, 09:50 AM   #1

Onan generator coolant

Any thoughts on using this coolant in my onon 7.5k generator? Seems like a better coolant but I am new to these things.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210811_112330.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	230.3 KB
ID:	339190  
jpapddp is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-11-2021, 02:01 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
You should be careful mixing coolants. Some coolants will form gel when mixed with incompatible coolants.
Good video in post #3.
https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/ori...or-292407.html

I'd check the color of the coolant already in there and assuming it's standard ethylene glycol I'd stick with it.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 02:10 PM   #3

I flushed out the coolant in the Onan and then filled it with the same coolant I use in the engine, which is Shell Rotella ELC Antifreeze/Coolant. Just makes it easier to remember when topping off the coolant.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Shell Rotella ELC.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	24.8 KB
ID:	339220  
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 02:54 PM   #4

The command is oat coolant. You can use it in the engine and in the gen set. The generator isn't a wet sleeve motor that I know of so don't put a silicate type wet sleeve antifreeze in it.
shootist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 03:18 PM   #5

Just keep in mind that Freightliner does not recommend using anything but Low Silicate Ethylene Glycol based diesel coolant. Freightliner's sensors they installed in the coolant and dash heating systems systems do not like OAT coolants.
Old 08-12-2021, 08:38 AM   #6

Great thank you for your help on this. I will be taking it back and stick to the simple stuff.
jpapddp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 10:50 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
Just keep in mind that Freightliner does not recommend using anything but Low Silicate Ethylene Glycol based diesel coolant. Freightliner's sensors they installed in the coolant and dash heating systems systems do not like OAT coolants.
Do you have a link to that statement about freightliner? I looked and can not find anything of the sort. Putting silicate in a dry sleeve engine wouldn't be good at all, referring to the onan.
Old 08-12-2021, 12:41 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by shootist View Post
Do you have a link to that statement about freightliner? I looked and can not find anything of the sort. Putting silicate in a dry sleeve engine wouldn't be good at all, referring to the Onan.
Unfortunately no. When I called them a few years ago that is what they told me. Then several others on this forum indicated more recently they were told the same thing when called. The reasoning always seems the same "our sensors do not like the ELC type of coolants".

I know the engine manufactures do recommend ELC coolants, but I suspect it is because a lot of owners never check or change the coolant for years and years, so ELC are designed to last longer.

BTW, my 2006 Cat engine and Freightliner recommend using only Low Silicate Ethylene Glycol based diesel coolant. My original statement was worded a bit confusing.
Old 08-12-2021, 03:21 PM   #9

I believe it is the nitrate that causes problems. The prestone command is nitrate free as are many other oat coolants. I did find a thread on freightliners past problem. It has to do with copper and lead in the radiator and other metals in their sensors. It's a nitrate induced problem from what I can research.
Old 08-12-2021, 05:25 PM   #10

I called Cummins and they recommended there own Fleetguard ES Compleat OAT for maximum protection, especially with an aluminum radiator. It is nitrite free and also recommended for parent bore (no sleeves) engines. It's been in there 2 years, no sign of any sensor issues. Nice thing is it should outlast the motorhome.
Old 08-13-2021, 04:32 PM   #11

From the Onan manual:

5.7.3 Coolant Recommendations

Use the best quality ethylene glycol antifreeze available.

• Antifreeze should be fully formulated with rust inhibitors and coolant stabilizers.

• Mixed with fresh (distilled) water that is low in minerals and corrosive chemicals.

A 50/50 mixture is recommended for all climates and is suitable for temperatures down to –37 o C (–34 o F).
Jake21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator